VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Current Tdiu Claim And Moving To Another State

Rate this question

pigdriver

Question

Hi All,

Need advise! I have a claim in for TDIU based on statments from VARO on my award letter for PTSD @ 70%, in the letter they state the Dr. who did the C&P made a lot of reference to unemployability issues and the VA requested I file for TDIU in the letter!! I have sent the employer statements etc. Here is my question. My wife and I are moving from Michigan to Colorado the end of June this year. Can I transfer the claim to the VARO in Denver or do I have to drop the claim and refile once I'm a Colorado resident??? We are moving to Montrose county in SW Colorado, the closest VAMC is Grand Junction only 60 miles or so from our home, since I am currently an ongoing CPT patient how do I transfer my medical and pysch records to Grand Juntion?? Also there is the problem of ongoing controlled substance medications I take every day and I don't think I should be in a postion of no meds during the transition. If anyone has been successful with this kind of moving situation please respond as it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your assistance with this.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can delay your move until you get your award I would do it. Get the IU paper in your hand and then move. So many things can go wrong if you move during the claims process.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not delay a move just move and after VA puts money in your bank notify them of change of address. Good Luck

Hi All,

Need advise! I have a claim in for TDIU based on statments from VARO on my award letter for PTSD @ 70%, in the letter they state the Dr. who did the C&P made a lot of reference to unemployability issues and the VA requested I file for TDIU in the letter!! I have sent the employer statements etc.

Here is my question. My wife and I are moving from Michigan to Colorado the end of June this year.

Can I transfer the claim to the VARO in Denver or do I have to drop the claim and refile once I'm a Colorado resident???

We are moving to Montrose county in SW Colorado, the closest VAMC is Grand Junction only 60 miles or so from our home, since I am currently an ongoing CPT patient how do I transfer my medical and pysch records to Grand Juntion??

Also there is the problem of ongoing controlled substance medications I take every day and I don't think I should be in a postion of no meds during the transition.

pigdriver,

I do not personally have any experience with the situation you are in with regards to moving.

So what I post here is only my opinion from what I have seen other vets in the same situation, go through.

1) VARO (for your claim issues)

and

2) VAMC's (for your health care issues)

are two completely different animals.

I feel your options would best be served by:

1)

leave all your claim issues at the Michigan VARO

BUT -

in doing this you will need to provide them with an address in that VARO's jurisdiction -

that VA can send mail to.

Perhaps a responsible friend or relative that would forward this mail to you in a timely manner.

If this is not possible - then perhaps a Michigan PO Box - that can forward your mail to your

new Colorado address in a timely fashion.

I personally would choose to NOT change my VARO while claim issues are being adjudicated.

I would also keep in mind that the Michigan VARO might still request my presence for

another exam, so down the road you might have to return to Michigan for an exam and

you would have to be able to do so.

2)

As soon as you get to Colorado, go to your nearest VAMC and take all of your RX

bottles from the Michigan VAMC with you.

Yes, I am aware that each VAMC should be able to pull up your Michigan VAMC's

records BUT, if there is a glitch - then the doctor can at least see what you are currently RX'd

and provide a refill if needed, until they can set you up with Primary Care doctor/s.

Also, if you want or need to, check out your nearest Vet Center in Colorado.

Remember, as I posted this is only my opinion.

jmho,

carlie

Guest terrysturgis

My daughter is 50% service connected veteran and just moved from Alaska to New York. What she did mirrors what Carlie is suggesting. Seems to be working OK.

Most of my daughters claims have been rated outside of Alaska. The VA moves claims to VARO'S that are less busy than others, where ever that is.

Terry

• HadIt.com Elder

The think I worry about is having your claim file moved in the middle of your claim. If you tell VA you have a new address should not they move your file to new VARO. If you don't tell them mail continues to go to old address. If it goes to P.O. Box the post office will forward it for one year and after that "return to sender forwarding order expired". If you mail went to a relative that would be better then they could forward it to you outside the system. I live one hour away from my VARO. If there is anyting wrong I am over there the next day.

John,

I was referring to having a PO Box that you pay a service fee for them to forward your mail

as long as you continue to pay in advance for that particular service.

I can't remember if it's USPS that does this or private companies.

carlie