VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Extended Evels...

Rate this question

ranger11bv

Question

Why is the VA so stuck on getting everyone in Voc Rehab on extended eval??? They insist that I need to be "tried out " for 6 months at a job to see it I can handle it. But in order to get a good job, you need to go to school to get the skills the employers are looking for. My councilor told me they are NOT going to pay for schooling!!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I was encouraged by my VSO to get into Voc Rehab. After the testing, video, and interview, they told me I had one problem: I was still employed.

Ranger,

After the career testing, what did they say were your career strengths? For me, they said I would excel as being a software engineer (my current job), scientist, psychologist, or psychiatrist. I see your point about the six month evaluation. I definitely would need some schooling before I would even consider working in those other fields. Maybe they want to see if it is a good fit for you... Not every job is the best fit for every person.

I was encouraged by my VSO to get into Voc Rehab. After the testing, video, and interview, they told me I had one problem: I was still employed.

Ranger,

After the career testing, what did they say were your career strengths? For me, they said I would excel as being a software engineer (my current job), scientist, psychologist, or psychiatrist. I see your point about the six month evaluation. I definitely would need some schooling before I would even consider working in those other fields. Maybe they want to see if it is a good fit for you... Not every job is the best fit for every person.

They simply want to see if I can KEEP a job!! I have had 67 jobs from 1992 through 2007. This is varified through Social Security Administration.

VR&E has rules that they must follow in the course of doing the job. The requirements for an extended evaluation as well as the guidelines are usually outlined in the US Title Code or the M28 manuals. Will send you some links in email.

The counselor should be informing you of the goals and guidelines for the extended evaluation. Sounds likeyour advocate may not be advocating for you. My own experience with VR&E required me to become my own advocate.

If your username is an indicator of your background then you are prepared for the work ahead. There is a great site called TheVetSet.org written by a gent who has won 7 of 8 appeals. The site is full of interesting facts about VR&E and how to navigate going forward.

I will send you a PM as well. Good luck with VR&E.