VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Ssdi Good Evidence To Support A Tdiu Claim?

Rate this question

beenwaiting8years

Question

Ok so the VA sent me a rating letter where they said my condition is at 70% and retroactively paid back to 2001. SSDI initially awarded benefits for the same exact condition in 2003 and has reevaluated me in 2005 and has continued the benefit. So is this SSDI benefit enough evidence to support a TDIU claim? I only recently received the VA rating in September 2009, so can I make a case for receiving TDIU retroactively since the initial VA decision is less than a year old?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Ok so the VA sent me a rating letter where they said my condition is at 70% and retroactively paid back to 2001. SSDI initially awarded benefits for the same exact condition in 2003 and has reevaluated me in 2005 and has continued the benefit. So is this SSDI benefit enough evidence to support a TDIU claim? I only recently received the VA rating in September 2009, so can I make a case for receiving TDIU retroactively since the initial VA decision is less than a year old?

To answer your first question, yes, this SSDI could be enough to support a TDIU claim. But, they must be for the same disability, no other junk thrown in, but you knew that.

To answer your second question, no. You will not receive any TDIU "rating" until the proper paperwork is sent in, I don't care what anyone else says. And, when THAT correct form is received, then that will be your ED (effective date).

Please see:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8940-ARE.pdf

Thanks for the quick reply LarryJ. In addition to filing the TDIU claim, I also filed a NOD to the initial rating decision. In their decision, they initially rated me at 100% for the first three years, and 70% for the remaining 5 years. Since I filed a NOD and sent in my SSDI decision letter, will I stand a good chance of getting the 70% restored to 100% for those 5 years?

Did they give a reason for doing that?

All I know is there was a VA appointment in 2004 where the doctor gave me a diagnosis of Adjustment Disorder. This seems to be the reason the VA chose to reduce the rating. What is unbelievable is that the VA doctor who did the C&P exam in 2009 rated it as the same condition I was awarded SSDI for in 2003. I'm sorry if this sounds confusing. But since SSDI has been awarded since 2003 for this same service connected condition, which is not adjustment disorder, I was hoping that I could get the reduction retroactively restored back to where it was from the beginning. If I'm getting SSDI all this time for this condition, I am wondering if that is enough evidence in addition to not being able to keep a job.