VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appealing

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

Got my decision letter today, 30% PTSD. I feel that's a big low ball. Haven't worked for almost 3 years, it's a real debilitating issue for me. I think they throw this at alot of people hoping they'll take it and run. Will be calling my VSO tomorrow. Anything special that needs to be done?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What you need is a letter from a shrink saying that because of your PTSD you cannot work. This is how you get rated at the 70-100% rate. Have you applied for SSD due to your PTSD? The VA does throw the 30-50% rating around alot because they know if they rate you 70% you will file for TDIU.

Got my decision letter today, 30% PTSD. I feel that's a big low ball. Haven't worked for almost 3 years, it's a real debilitating issue for me. I think they throw this at alot of people hoping they'll take it and run. Will be calling my VSO tomorrow. Anything special that needs to be done?

ATVer,

How about posting exactly what is stated in the Reasons and Bases Section.

carlie

Here is the reason for decision.

Service connection for ptsd has been established as directly related to military service. The cited "deferred rating" was requesting an opinion for the diagnosed ptsd however, this rating board holds that the information of record is of sufficient clarity to permit rating action. Service treatment records are negative for any mention of or treatment for a chronic psychological or psychiatric condition. (last they told me was my STR's were "lost".) There were provisional diagnoses in VAMC Columbia outpatient records. An evaluation of 30% is assigned. An evaluation of 30% is granted whenever there is occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks due to such symptoms as depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciosness, panic attacks weekly or less often, chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss, forgetting names, directions, recent events.

(So i guess not working for 3 years is "occasional decrease" in work efficiency :blink: )

It goes on to explain my two stressors which were confirmed, saying i reported panic attacks 3-5 times a week in my exam, which i do. An AXIS I diagnosis of ptsd with depressed mood was provided. I'm also dx with MDD. The AXIS V dx score of 50 was provided based on current functioning. Based on current functioning, the rating board holds that the 30% evaluation is warranted.

In the beggining of letter it says they requested an opinion for the diagnosed ptsd, and says the board holds that the information of record is of sufficient clarity to permit rating action. Sounds like they didn't wait for the opinion and just rolled with it??

John is right.

I suggest that you invest some of that retro into obtaining an independent medical opinion to support a TDIU claim.

The IMO criteria is here in the IMO forum- I also added to the criteria that vets with any mental health issue should get the IMO shronk to state that they are capable of handling their own funds.

DO you get SSA disability- and if so is it solely for PTSD?

If so to that -they should award you TDIU.

"Sounds like they didn't wait for the opinion and just rolled with it??" Yes they did-now they need to roll a little further.

Here is the TDIU form.I assume you are not employed. ???

If a vet rep says you cannot apply for it yet -dont listen to the rep.

TDIU_21_8940.pdf

No, i don't recieve SSA, is that something i need to apply for now? I always thought the TDIU had to be a 60% rating or a combined of 70% with one rating at 40%?

Plus i'm 24 is tdiu something i should be going after? Should i do an IMO and then fill out the tdiu form to be sent in? And i am not employed right now. Sorry for all the questions

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are unable to work the answer would be yes. And do it quickly cause Social Security has a clock that ticks on all claims.