VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Spouse Claims

Rate this question

DuRock

Question

Are there any provisions for a spouse that is married to someone suffering from PTSD. If a spouse has been forced to leave the home due to bodily harm threats by a spouse suffering from PTSD are there any provisions within the VA for the spouse to get any assistance monetarily. They are still married after 17 years but for safety reasons the spouse has had to vacant the home and is now in need of assistance. The veteran is rated 100% for PTSD but is not getting any help for it or if he is it is not helping. He has made many threats on the spouses life.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

As a PTSD vet's widow I know well how PTSD can affect a spouse.

If she has to leave the home permanently there might be some way the VA can possibly apportion her share of his comp check (I don't quite mean her share-I mean the additional spousal benefit as a dependent.)

There are shelters for battered women and other resources she needs to look into-many starting with her County offices-and also with the county veteran's Service agency if they have one.As far as the VA helping her financially-it wont happen unless they can apportion the dependents allowance that he will still get unless he tells the VA she has left him.

In any event that isnt much money and the VA might take years to handle a claim like that.And they could deny the claim.

"He has made many threats on the spouses life. "

She needs to get that into his med rec at the VA and she MUST make a complaint with the police.

She will probably need to get a restraining order.

She might have to get aggressive with the VA if they treat him for PTSD as obviosly they are treating him appropriately.

I had to call my Congressman years ago- as my husband's VA shrink and even the VAMC director refused to admit him to the PTSD ward. He was at the hospital waiting for the day treatment van to bring him home.

I had cause to take extraordinary steps that day-long story-

Congressman Houghton called the VA director right away and then they started paging Rod all over the VAMC complex- and the shrink and director ran all over until they remembered I said he was at the van bus stop at the main entrance.

They admitted him immediately to 6p PTSD ward.

She should make sure anyone handling his VA MH care is fully aware of his violence (and documents her contact with them in the record (as well as the local police department).

As a PTSD vet's widow I know well how PTSD can affect a spouse.

If she has to leave the home permanently there might be some way the VA can possibly apportion her share of his comp check (I don't quite mean her share-I mean the additional spousal benefit as a dependent.)

There are shelters for battered women and other resources she needs to look into-many starting with her County offices-and also with the county veteran's Service agency if they have one.As far as the VA helping her financially-it wont happen unless they can apportion the dependents allowance that he will still get unless he tells the VA she has left him.

In any event that isnt much money and the VA might take years to handle a claim like that.And they could deny the claim.

"He has made many threats on the spouses life. "

Thank You Berta, I will pass this on to her.

DuRock

She needs to get that into his med rec at the VA and she MUST make a complaint with the police.

She will probably need to get a restraining order.

She might have to get aggressive with the VA if they treat him for PTSD as obviosly they are treating him appropriately.

I had to call my Congressman years ago- as my husband's VA shrink and even the VAMC director refused to admit him to the PTSD ward. He was at the hospital waiting for the day treatment van to bring him home.

I had cause to take extraordinary steps that day-long story-

Congressman Houghton called the VA director right away and then they started paging Rod all over the VAMC complex- and the shrink and director ran all over until they remembered I said he was at the van bus stop at the main entrance.

They admitted him immediately to 6p PTSD ward.

She should make sure anyone handling his VA MH care is fully aware of his violence (and documents her contact with them in the record (as well as the local police department).

• HadIt.com Elder

can the VA force him to support her today NO unfortunately if she wants anything she is going to have to file for a divorce if I was her I would not leave the house I would have the police remove him and have a Judge put a restraining order on him if he has physically threatened her she should be able to have him put into a lock down ward

the problem with restraining orders are they are seldom worth the paper they are written on if the vet is determined to get back into the house and harm her he is not going to worry about the restraining order he will harm her and then go to jail and who wins then? no one there are no good answers here she needs probably to go to a shelter for abused women and seek help from them on how to deal with her future but the VA is not going to cut the veterans compensation check in half

but after 17 years she should be entitled to something half the homes value any savings they might have etc is he drawing SSD also they also pay extra for a spouse she needs a good lawyer if she doesn't want to return and make the marriage work then again it might be too dangerous for her the abuse shelter may be the best place for her right now to give her time to think it out I wish I had better advice but she needs a lawyer

• HadIt.com Elder

As you probably have found out the VA is pretty much worthless for families of Veterans. Also the Vets PTSD income is almost boiler plate protected. The poor woman is going to have to rely on the safety net such as food stamps, public assistance and local emergency funds. You might also have her check on Service Organizations as the DAV I went to would give up to 500 dollars for situations like these depending on who was in charge of the funds and if they had them available.

In Dallas there is emergeny sdhelter for women who are in this situation. I suggest you look into something like that as they also help the spouse quite a bit.

I am praying that she is safe and gets help.

My Dad had PTSD and I have an idea what she is going through.