VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Once Again Denied

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

Friday morning I recieved the dreaded white envelope..It was my latest round of rubber stamped denials....There were more than one but the PTSD one concerns me and my VA psyche that I saw for a monthly appt on Friday afternoon....In the write up for the denial they conceded my stressor...

I quote" Review of your file showed that your combat stressor has been conceeded.Service medical records avaliable for review were negative for a diagnosis of posttraumitic stress disorder.

At your VA examination, the doctor reviewed your avaliable medical records.The examiner reported that although you have symptoms of posttraunitic stress disorder there was no evidence of persistently avoiding situations which remind you of the traumitic event.(I don't knoe what they want, I told the examiner that I detested the 4th of July, avoided crowds and would not join local Volunteer Fire Department because I couldn't face the possibility of encountering the smell of burnt human again..Plus no friends and spending hours alone).No diagnosis of post traumitic stress disorder was rendered.The diagnosis of major depressive disorder was supported by finding on examination.Service medical records were negative for a diagnosis of depression.

The claim for service connection for post traumitic stress disorder with depression is considered reopened.However, the evidence continues to show service connection is not shown by the service medical records or demonstrated by evidence following service.Therefore, service connection continues to be denied" end quote...

This has to be the biggest load of double talk and BS I have ever seen...My VA psychiatrist was astounded...And this is with a clear diagnosis of PTSD from her with a GAF of 55 2 days after my C&P and was 50 the month before...She said that my PTSD may be partially controlled but without the 3 antidepressants and sleep aids and lets not forget the nightmare medication that it is rampant and will probably always require medication.............I guess the good news is the conceding of my stressor..I don't think they even looked at my VA treatment records...Next week I will request a copy of my C-file and the C&P exam..Thinking about a lawyer for appeal..Also psyche suggested if I can get off worrk the 4 week inpatient course at Little Rock..Off the record said it would help claim and appealNow just seeing if I can get 4 weeks..Can't afford missing pay..Have enough leave to cover abot 2 1/2 weeks...Work for Feds so really don't have to worry about losing job with Docs note.......ANY HELP AND GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.......Grid

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You need an IMO/IME to bolster your claim. You don't have to have every symptom of PTSD to get a claim approved. The VA is just dancing around. Appeal this denial and ask for a DRO Hearing. Get some more medical evidence to DX you with PTSD. Nobody has all the listed PTSD symptoms.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry for your loss. May be a good idea to take a short break if you can.

You are dealing with a lot and I too am sorry for the loss of youir father.

"Off the record said it would help claim" I am former VA PTSD volunteer. That statement is correct.

The VA also will do the paper work for you in the inhouse program for Temp 100% for the 21 days you attending this program.

I have only known of one vet who attended the inhouse program and was denied the 100% temp comp. He did not have PTSD and no vald stressor at all.

John 999 is right.

BTW did the VA give you the MMPI or any psyche testing?

They validates the stressor which is great, you have the diagnosis which no one wants but that is great too-but the C & P doc was wrong.

Was this an actual shrink or a PA or a nurse who did the C & P?

Ther credentials coul;d be one point of attacdk on this decision.

Do you have copy of the actual C & P exam?

Sometimes the actual exam is parsed by the raters- I have proof of that.The SOC leaves out the positive parts of the exam. I dont know if this is the case here but a real doctor, preferably psychiatrist would give a more definitive picture of your PTSD as to how it affects you and hopefully an IMO would help.

Did the VA at least give you a SC "0" Rating for PTSD?

What diagnostic code have they used?

What did the SOC say about the affect of the SC meds to your employability?

Edited by Berta

Berta thanks for some great answers......You have brought up some great things that may help....I am in the process of requesting a copy of my C&P and my claims file...This was just one of the claims they denied in the same letter......They said that they had origionally denies my claim in 1994 but that the new evidence submitted WAS MATERIAL....It just does read right and does not fall in line with everything I have read about PTSD especially since they conceded my stressor and I have a valid DX from both my VA PC and my VA PSYCH....They also denied my insomnia claim and combined my Sleep Apnea claim with it together...Plus other numerous claims some that go back to 1994............The meds are becoming a serious problem......They are causing weight gain,Sexual Disfunction, grogginess and problems with waking up....The Ambien no longer works, the mirtazapine that my psych has prescribed to help with the sleep is turning me into a zombie that wants to sleep all the time...I am using the time I am off from work to try to adjust to it..Am seriously considering asking my psych to start the paperwork for SSI because I am to the point that I cannot function at the workplace anymore..........................................Plus I am going to talk to my counseler about the inpatient facility as my psych suggested....If I get fired then I will draw unemployment and file for SSI and continue my fight...I am not giving up....I have been put off,had my honesty and character tested by the VA, had them Flat Out Lie...No, now they have one large, very upset Texan on their hands who has proof of most of the things they have denied and the support of a loving wife and family and a wonderful extended internet brother and sisterhood who have the knowledge and give me support everyday I see great advice coming from them............Once again thanks to Berta and all the others for your wonderful guidance and help.............Grid

• HadIt.com Elder

I took mirtazapaine one time and I did not really wake up for three days. That stuff is horrible. Worse than neurontin for me. It knocks me out.

If you do become unemployed by all means apply for SSDI ( SSI is Supplemental Income-and not same as SSDI- the SSA web site has info on this.

And also apply for TDIU. Total Disability due to unemployability.

The meds you take for SC are a factor in determining unemployability.If one cannot get a decent night's sleep they cannot work poroductively.

."I have been put off,had my honesty and character tested by the VA, had them Flat Out Lie..." I know how low the VA can go as far as lying.

We are on a battlefield- a war of the words.

If a vet has the diagnosis of PTSD and validated stressor- what is their problem?

Can you possibly scan and attach the actual wording of their reasons and bases part of the PTSD denial? (Cover any personal info)

When you get copy of the actual C & P we can help more when we know what that says.