VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Once Again Denied

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

Friday morning I recieved the dreaded white envelope..It was my latest round of rubber stamped denials....There were more than one but the PTSD one concerns me and my VA psyche that I saw for a monthly appt on Friday afternoon....In the write up for the denial they conceded my stressor...

I quote" Review of your file showed that your combat stressor has been conceeded.Service medical records avaliable for review were negative for a diagnosis of posttraumitic stress disorder.

At your VA examination, the doctor reviewed your avaliable medical records.The examiner reported that although you have symptoms of posttraunitic stress disorder there was no evidence of persistently avoiding situations which remind you of the traumitic event.(I don't knoe what they want, I told the examiner that I detested the 4th of July, avoided crowds and would not join local Volunteer Fire Department because I couldn't face the possibility of encountering the smell of burnt human again..Plus no friends and spending hours alone).No diagnosis of post traumitic stress disorder was rendered.The diagnosis of major depressive disorder was supported by finding on examination.Service medical records were negative for a diagnosis of depression.

The claim for service connection for post traumitic stress disorder with depression is considered reopened.However, the evidence continues to show service connection is not shown by the service medical records or demonstrated by evidence following service.Therefore, service connection continues to be denied" end quote...

This has to be the biggest load of double talk and BS I have ever seen...My VA psychiatrist was astounded...And this is with a clear diagnosis of PTSD from her with a GAF of 55 2 days after my C&P and was 50 the month before...She said that my PTSD may be partially controlled but without the 3 antidepressants and sleep aids and lets not forget the nightmare medication that it is rampant and will probably always require medication.............I guess the good news is the conceding of my stressor..I don't think they even looked at my VA treatment records...Next week I will request a copy of my C-file and the C&P exam..Thinking about a lawyer for appeal..Also psyche suggested if I can get off worrk the 4 week inpatient course at Little Rock..Off the record said it would help claim and appealNow just seeing if I can get 4 weeks..Can't afford missing pay..Have enough leave to cover abot 2 1/2 weeks...Work for Feds so really don't have to worry about losing job with Docs note.......ANY HELP AND GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.......Grid

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"I have a valid DX from both my VA PC and my VA PSYCH....They also denied my insomnia claim and combined my Sleep Apnea claim with it together...Plus other num"

I dont get this a diagnosis froma VA shrink that the C & P doc is trying to ignore or overturn?

Are you a VA employee? reason I asked is my husband was and his shrink PTSD records were in one case poorly documented (because he was VA employee) and then when he switched from VA psychologist to VA psychiatrist, his treatment was well documented but I had to obtain the records myself from his VA shrink for his claim as they were not-for some reason-in his regular medical file.

If you have these definitive diagnoses of PTSD in your med recs, send the VA copy of those records and ask them to CUE themselves.

"My VA psychiatrist was astounded...And this is with a clear diagnosis of PTSD from her " I bet she was- the VA ignored evidence that was clearly critical to your claim.

Do you have a vet rep to help fight this ?

Berta, no I am not a VA employee but do work for the Federal GVT...Am a DEP of Defense/Army Civilian..........My VA PC had put in my notes from our initial appt. that I Had sign and symptoms of PTSD from my Gulf War exeriences and gave me a Psych referal.....I went to my psych referal and talked to the VA counseler and she referred my to my VA psych who I have been Telemed with once a month....She has given me a clear Diagnosis of PTSD with Major Depressive Disorder......It is the diagnosis in my AXIS IV.....Over the last 4 months I have had a GAF ranging from 50 to 58.......Am getting everything together to fight this...I haven't decided if I will just appeal or gor for a DOR...I am convinced that they did not look at my treatment records.........Thanks for all the help and support

The Evidence list they used in the denial letter will show you what they used.(and then you can determine what they didn't use and should have)

If they did list something as evidence but failed to mention it at all in the narrative , then they didn't consider it.

Even if the VA diagnosed you with PTSD and then confirmed the stressor- they might not have found the level of PTSD as a ratable level.

Is there a rating sheet or something with the decision that shows PTSD as NSC "0" or as SC "0" ?

How does the VARO get copies of or any documentation of the Telemed treatment sessions?

."I am convinced that they did not look at my treatment records." That looks to me as the case here too.

Berta, the treatment notes from the Telemed sessions appear in my treatment records just like if I had seen her live...When I go to the local VA clinic that I go to for treatment, group sessions and to see my VA PC about once a month I get a copy of my treatment records for the previous month or since I last pulled them...They include my PC docs notes from my visit (If I saw her in that time frame), notes from the counseler from group and the Psych notes from my Psych Telemed sessions......It is is all computer based now....So the notes are avaliable....................................As to any reference to a SC at 0% or a NSC they are not there...They just denied PTSD again.....You asked about a service officer to help me..The DAV rep that is supposed to be helping me never seems to have time for me and has been absolutely worthless, am lookinf for other assistance..............Thank you Berta for your help and suggestions

Phillip Rogers, I appreciate your help and concern........I have a clear diagnosis of PTSD from my VA PSYCH, I have been conceeded a stressor from the VA...The notes from my VA PSYCH include the traumitic events and experiences I experienced and that I dream about and the images that stay in my mind...I have submitted statements from my wife about the nightmares and the sleep issues and the anger and avoidance...I have sent in statements about my experiences, what I saw and the traumitic events that happened......I DO NOT KNOW if my complete medical record was reviewed by the Doc that did my C&P, I did not even know what the C&P was for until I got in her office..I just recieved a appt letter from VA telling me when and where to go that day..I had 2 C&P exams that day and neither stated what for....I am doing the best I can to put this all together and get it right...I am sorry that you feel that you cannot help me...If you will look back over my past posts you will see where I posted about my psych visit that includes my DSM IV and GAF score...

I once again thank all that are trying to assist me in my claim..I will continue to drive forward and will not give up........Thanks for all the help and advice.....GRID