Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Veteran43

1151 Or Federal Torte Claim

Question

Is there anyone out there thats knows if you are entitled to file both? I had a nerve cut during a routine Hernia operation. It was at the V.A. hospital in Mpls. I am going to have to take nerve block injections every 2 months for the rest of my life or I cannot walk. Can anyone tell me what I should do?

4 answers to this question

Yes - I filed both FTCA and also Section 1151.

I won both.

There is an offset consideration in 99 % of all claims of this type.

I am in the 1 % whose offset the VA recently had to refund to me- --too detailed to discuss why- I had a First of its kind claim-per NVLSP.

In the 99 % left the VA will offset the amount of your FTCA award from any Section 1151 comp you get until the settlement is recouped by the VA.

But that applies only to the 1151 compensation-the rest of your SC comp cannot be touched.

For those who might be in the 1 %-

The OGC and I agreed on an offset amount to my DIC under 1151 in 1998.

I had won wrongful death settlement.They malpracticed on my husband to cause death by VA.

I re- opened in 2003 because I found more malpractice- and it regarded an agent orange condition malpractice on that significantly contributed to his wrongful death. I cou;ld not sue them again so I re opened the DIC claim on a different basis.

Long story -I was awarded last year a direct SC death and then had to fight with the VARO to refund the offset amount they kept from my 1151 DIC - as the new SC death award trumped the wrongful death award and rendered it moot- to the extent they had to refund my offset.

I never saw a similiar case like mine.

For some vets it is more beneficial to file 1151 and not FTca. Unless they can invest a large lump sum settlement from the VA-they could easily spend it all fast and then not have the security of a 1151 comp check every month.

Ad

Yes - I filed both FTCA and also Section 1151.

I won both.

There is an offset consideration in 99 % of all claims of this type.

I am in the 1 % whose offset the VA recently had to refund to me- --too detailed to discuss why- I had a First of its kind claim-per NVLSP.

In the 99 % left the VA will offset the amount of your FTCA award from any Section 1151 comp you get until the settlement is recouped by the VA.

But that applies only to the 1151 compensation-the rest of your SC comp cannot be touched.

For those who might be in the 1 %-

The OGC and I agreed on an offset amount to my DIC under 1151 in 1998.

I had won wrongful death settlement.They malpracticed on my husband to cause death by VA.

I re- opened in 2003 because I found more malpractice- and it regarded an agent orange condition malpractice on that significantly contributed to his wrongful death. I could not sue them again so I re opened the DIC claim on a different basis.

Long story -I was awarded last year a direct SC death and then had to fight with the VARO to refund the offset amount they kept from my 1151 DIC - as the new SC death award trumped the wrongful death award and rendered it moot- to the extent they had to refund my offset.AFter I raised hell with some OGC lawyers who remembered me well from the past settlement-the VA sent me the offset refund.An amount they had originally said I would never get. right watch me

I never saw a similiar case like mine.

For some vets it is more beneficial to file 1151 and not FTCA. Unless they can invest a large lump sum settlement from the VA-they could easily spend it all fast and then not have the security of a 1151 comp check every month.

I need to add something here-

when I sent in my FTCA case, I tried to get a lawyer here in NY. This was prior to the internet as it is now with google and also during the days-late 1990s when lawyers could not advertise by specialty.

After 20 NY lawyers told me I had not a chance in Hell to succeed, I decided to do the FTCA myself.

Glad I did. It was considerable medical and legal work but I won anyhow.

Is your lawyer a malpractice lawyer or is his area of expertise something like estates, wills, or GP stuff?

Is he aware of the two most common errors made on FTCA SF 95 forms?

If I were you I would google this lawyer to make sure he or she has background in FTCA.

I had a lawyer in NY handle a lease for me.

As we talked (he is disabled vet) he asked about the AO claim I had pending, Then he did all he could to get me to hire him to represent me on the claim.

Another lawyer handling a CUE claim I had also wanted to somehow get his hands on my separate AO claim.

The NOD for the AO claim was filed in 2004 and therefore I did not fall under the Lawyer for vets regulations for the AO claim.I had to word the fee agreemnt myself to specify only the CUE claim and then I tore it up and revoked my POA with him.

I recalled what Tom Hanks told Denzel WAshington in "Philadelpha" when no lawyer would represent him in a AIDS discrimintion case against the law firm he worked for---

"I dont need a lawyer, I am a good lawyer"

I myself had handled numerous legal matters pro se over the years and reminded myself that I am a good pro se lawyer too and sure didnt need any lawyer who knew less than I did about these types of cases.

The lease lawyer I had- once he realized he needed to become fully accredited by VA to handle any claim I had- said he would have depended on me anyhow for what he didnt know. yeah right- he thought I would pay him while I did the leg work.

The best lawyer I ever had was me going pro se-

the best reps we will ever have is ourselves-

Having said said that- a good malpractice lawyer can succeed in a good malpractice claim.There are pleny of awards if you google them against the VA for malpractice.

Make sure you get a lawyer who really understands not only FTCA but also the ramifications of the separate 1151 claim and its monetary impact due to any potential FTCA award.

And dont call my lease lawyer here in NY.

A podiatrist cant due brain surgery-that is point I am trying to make.

Edited by Berta

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Ads

• Advertisemnt

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• If you are a Veteran, represented by MOPH, you need to know that MOPH is closing down its offices.  This can have a drastic effect on your claim, and it wont be good for you.  You likely need to get a new representative.  

This station confirms MOPH is closing its doors:

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--Purple-Heart-veterans-service-center-to-close-its-doors-480422933.html

• 0 replies
    • Retroactive Back Pay.
      Retroactive Back Pay - #1Viewed Post Week of March 19. 2018

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.
      Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?
      Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?
      • 44 replies
    • Examining your service medical records...
      * First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

* Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

* I then put my original away and work off the copy.

* Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

* If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

* Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

* I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.
      • 9 replies
    • How to get your questions answered on the forum
      Do not post your question in someone else's thread. If you are reading a topic that sounds similar to your question, start a new topic and post your question. When you add your question to a topic someone else started both your questions get lost in the thread. So best to start your own thread so you can follow your question and the other member can follow theirs.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 

Ads

How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ ...
  2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title ... 
  3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help ...
Continue Reading

• Advertisemnt

• latest-posts-activity.pngstart-new-topic.pngsearch.png

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines