VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Decision Today On My Claim

Rate this question

drgonzo

Question

hello all on this fourm....ive had my highs and lows on this fourm, and just wanted u all to know i got my raiting today when i got home form my girlfriends house. i was surprised that i got it in just over 2 weeks! i got raited at 70% for ptsd and tinnits from combat service as an infantryman in iraq.....i was only really expecting about 30, and was greatly surprised when i opened my "brown evlope". the description is way to long for me to type out. the only thing that stood out and kinda grabed my attention was this:

"Since there is a liklihood of improvement in the condition, the assinged evaluation is not considerd permanent and is subject to a future review examination"

how often do u get these reevaluations?

thanks for all ur help

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is GREAT news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Since there is a liklihood of improvement in the condition, the assinged evaluation is not considerd permanent and is subject to a future review examination"

Has the VA ever found a cure for PTSD yet?

Dont worry about the re-evalations- they must prove a sustained improvement in your condition has occurred (by medical evidence) before they could ever attempt to lower your comp.

• HadIt.com Elder

Stay in treatment at the VA at least. Never say one good word about how you feel, or one good word about work. Try to mention at least one symptom every time you see the VA shrink or even your PCP. You want to build a paper trail from here to the moon. Phil said this before and it applies. When and if they drag you back in for re-evaluation they look at the medical history. If it is full of notes of PTSD continuing symptoms that is good for your claim. As you know the compensation side is separate from medical side and the only time the comp side looks at medical side is when you either ask for increase or they do re-eval.

Stay in treatment at the VA at least. Never say one good word about how you feel, or one good word about work. Try to mention at least one symptom every time you see the VA shrink or even your PCP. You want to build a paper trail from here to the moon. Phil said this before and it applies. When and if they drag you back in for re-evaluation they look at the medical history. If it is full of notes of PTSD continuing symptoms that is good for your claim. As you know the compensation side is separate from medical side and the only time the comp side looks at medical side is when you either ask for increase or they do re-eval.

John, best possible advice. I just got denied for my knee problem and one of the reasons they state is that there are no treatment records beyond last year because I didn't go to the doctor about it.... even though I have PTSD & Social anxiety avoid people as much as humanly possible. So I didn't go to the doctor. Idiots. So you need to go to the doctor and you need to let them know every time you see them that you are hurting. Bring a list to every physical appointment so you don't forget to mention that really bad night you had last week (I was always forgetting to tell the doc about the night I couldn't sleep cause of the pain, etc. Now I take a notebook!)

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I received my brown envelope in the mail today from the VA. Shaking, I opened the envelope. I found, to my surprise, that they increased my PTSD from 30 to 70%. I had submitted a request for reconsideration back in late December, '09 with a request for Unemployability. I furnished letter from the VA VocRehab which stated I would not benefit from job retraining. I furnished a letter from my State Department of Labor Voc Rehab that said the same. I provided progress letters from my private psychologist where he listed in 3 progress letters that I was unable to work, that panic attacks were frequent, that although I was not suicidal, I saw death as a relief from pain. He stated my GAF score to be 37-39 and that my condition was likely to stay with me for the rest of my life. I am 58 now. In the narrative they explained my second QTC exam went just like the first, basically with NO change and that the doctor that saw me gave me a GAF score of 50-60. Although he was interupted on 4 occasions during our 30 minute conversation for personal cell phone calls, there was NO way he could assess my condition. This second QTC exam was done in mid February, 2010. Also in the evidence file, besides 3 progress letters from a private psychologist, 2 Voc Rehab letters, my Social Security Disability letter, and the clinical notes from my VA group therapy cognitive thought classes, I think the rater really took into account the letters from the private psychologist and the Voc Rehab state and VA.

What I suggesting here is to overload your case with credible evidence. Do not be sketchy about it. Back up your statements with letters from anyone that will write one. When it comes time to get your QTC appointment, do not be shy in telling the scheduler that you want to see and American-English speaking doctor. I do think culture has something to do with how you are listened to by the doctor. Do not have good eye contact with the examiner, do say exactly how you are feeling, what is on your mind and that you anger easily, watch more TV, more Computer, less time with family or friends. Get family or friends to write letters for you. The rater takes all of this into account. Be honest with what you write, and the letters you submit. Good luck with your claim. Since I was rated 70% for the PTSD, my 10% for tinnitus is washed to 3% (VA math I guess) but I am being paid at 100% from the VA with entitlement for special benefits from my state, plus Federal SSD. Do not give up, just keep coming up with information in support of your claim. My reconsideration took 6 months. My original claim took 3 months, but it now appears that at least the financial burden is somewhat lifted, I can concentrate on dealing with some of the other aspects of my PTSD condition.

Thank you all for being supportive and allowing me to ask questions, get real world answers and applications. Yall are the best

Veteran in Georgia

• HadIt.com Elder

JC

I could not say it better. Throw the whole kitchen sink at them. I had three medical opinions, evaluation from voc rehab, letters from my wife and brother, SSD report, retirement disability from my job, and a report from a vet center saying I had severe and chronic PTSD. I had out-patient and in-patient VA notes as well. You just want to bury them with evidence. I had been seeing a VA shrink for years sitting on 30% and trying to work. It all came apart in 2001 and that is when I got serious. I also had been seeing a psychologist and private shrink. I knew I was not going to make it to the gold watch day.

John, best possible advice. I just got denied for my knee problem and one of the reasons they state is that there are no treatment records beyond last year because I didn't go to the doctor about it.... even though I have PTSD & Social anxiety avoid people as much as humanly possible. So I didn't go to the doctor. Idiots. So you need to go to the doctor and you need to let them know every time you see them that you are hurting. Bring a list to every physical appointment so you don't forget to mention that really bad night you had last week (I was always forgetting to tell the doc about the night I couldn't sleep cause of the pain, etc. Now I take a notebook!)

Hedgey, I hope you appealed that denial. Email me if you want to discuss strategy (I don't want to hijack this thread).