VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims For Newbies

Rate this question

dwragon

Question

I didn't know where to put this so here goes, hope others will add to this. Maybe a new section (Initiating new claims for those just out of service) can be made regarding this.

When I originally filed my claims, I was lucky enough to have had a Dad (stepdad) who had been in the military. When he got out no one told him to file for service connection within one year of his discharge for his service connected conditions. He paid the va years for medicine to treat his service connected psoriasis. A freind of his found out what was happening to him and got the situation corrected. That freind also made sure that I filed for my conditions that arose while in service within one year.

However, even though I filed for them I did not know what I was doing, what was important, and so forth. As I look back on it now, I wish someone had told me to gather all of my records, both service medical records as well as tdy records, epr's, AND any other record related to my service. And to never throw anything related to service away. (I destroyed some records in a fit of rage without knowing someone else had copied them-another story.)

I wish someone had told me I would have to learn exactly what every medical acronym, greek, and latin word meant, as well as understanding how it appled to the medical record at the time.

About all that spewing in my SOC that turned out to be Title 38 and what it really meant.

About how to appeal all that technical spewing.

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet