VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Difference Between Military Disability And Va Disability %

Rate this question

lmholmes11

Question

Hello all,

I am currently in the Marine Corps Reserve and am in the process of getting medically discharged for PTSD, TBI/ Migrains. I am going to my Medical Board in a month or two down in Chicago to confirm my conditions are combat related. I have been awarded a combined rating of 80% disability from the VA. I have had multiple people tell me that the VA compensation and general Military Disability Compensation are two different rating systems; and you should rate a % if you are currently active in the military and you are getting medically discharged.

Can someone give me more information on this? What is the rating scale if there is such thing as a military compensation. Also, can you recieve both at the same time if so?

Thank you.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Devil,

Congrats on getting 80% from VA. The MEB basically is a DOD version of the C&P exam. Take with you, your VA ratings and give to the doctor (a copy). Once your MEB is completed, your unit CO will write up a letter about you. It's just answering questions. This is included in your PEB package. It will be sent off to Bethesda. You will have 3 Officers review your medical file, at least 1 line officer. The latest regulations (circa 2008), mandate that if you are being separated from the service due to PTSD, that you be given 50% minimum, just for PTSD from DOD. Whatever other conditions that the PEB finds keeps you from being fit to maintain military status will also be mentioned. The key difference here is, say you had tinnitus (aka ringing in the ears) and receive VA compensation, more than likely you will not have that included by DOD becasue it does not prevent you from being fit for military duty. Well, after they come to this decision of all the conditions that make you fit or unfit (i assumed unfit), they will release your PEB results to the PEBLO (liason officer), that will explain all you need to know about whether to accept or deny the boards decision. They will decide if they feel the conditon shoudl be TDRL or PDRL. If you were to accept the decision, it will still take a few months for it to process with HQ USMC. You will then be contacted by DFAS, eventually and given a retirement date. You will not be issues an sort of new DD214, unless you are on active duty. They will send you an honorable discharge certificate. You will recieve either a TDRL certificate or Offical Retirement Certificate from HQ USMC.

You will be considered a Ch 61 Retiree, meaning you were retired prior to 20 yrs, normal retirement. Currently they are debating in Congress how to pay for Ch 61 retirees to be able to receive retired pay and VA comp pay.

More then likely all your DOD pay will be waived in leiu of your tax free VA pay. The max you can get from DOD is 75% of your rank monthly pay. Example E-5 2000/mo highest 3 yr base pay X .75 = $1400 Max. Since you'd be receiving $1427 from VA all your pay would be waived. You would rate TRICARE for you and your family for life. You would also be entitled to the Blue retired ID card, regardless of rank.

Hope this helped