VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Worth Dying For

Rate this question

Berta

Question

“Is It Worth Dying For? is the most important examination of stress and its effects on health and disease in years. In this groundbreaking book, cardiologist Dr. Robert S. Eliot identifies "hot reactors"-apparently healthy people who overreact dangerously to such common occurrences as losing a tennis game or missing a train. If you are a "hot reactor," you can be responding to stress with an all-out physical effort that is taking a heavy toll on your health...without your even being aware of it. Based on more than twenty years of research with thousands of patients, Is It Worth Dying For? takes stress management etc

http://books.google.com/books?id=MeXpi6T98wgC&dq=Is+it+worth+dying+for+Eliot&source=bl&ots=hSjUaeVhQY&sig=MyzNjsPHfFHJml46xrTnpcOhZ48&hl=en&ei=kdIYTJn3B8K78gb9v53bDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAg

I swiped this book ( BTW Dr. Eliot was a VA Cardiologist at the Gainseville VA as I recall when he wrote this book)from the local VAMC library and sent it to the RO in support of one of my claims years ago.I dont know why I didnt use my library card but was shocked at what I read after I found it in the patient's library and I left without checking the book out.

Dr. Eliot had done autopsies on hundreds and hundreds of deceased Vietnam combat veterans.He found that a very high rate of these veterans had already received a profound level of atherosclerosis in their arteries.

His conclusion- since these were mostly very young men -is that only the stress of battle itself could have caused this abnormal IHD finding.

VA sent the book back to the local VA library ,mentioned it as evidence, but never considered their own cardiologist's statements and his work.

I dont trust VA or some Senator to make any viable comparison with the incidence of IHD in Vietnam veterans as the same as within the average American population.The average American population didn't go to Vietnam.

The young deceased KIA vets that Dr Eliot autopsied had not had the time prior to Vietnam to engage in decades of poor eating habits, years of smoking or other IHD causing potentials, and none of them never witnessed the profound stress of battle prior to Vietnam unlike all other forms of stress ( This is my opinion based on combat PTSD research I have done).

I guess my point here is that if the Secretary says IHD goes on the AO list -that is it Period and no Senator will make points trying to say the Secretary is wrong.

I heard yesterday from someone that the IHD hearings are not going to happen.That's good but I have not been able to check the info out with other sources.

I also think IHD could be found as definitely more common in combat veterans above the general population but then again- how many vets are already dead and no one has put them into any data base of Vietnam service and IHD contributing to death.

I would have never won all of my claims without an autopsy having been done on my husband.I still can hear his Cardiologist words "Mrs. Simmons there is nothing wrong with his heart" when the coverup of his heart disease had begun.By the VA.

He was autopsied because he was an organ donor and at the time of autopsy I had no idea that it would reveal the basis and proof of the 1151 claim he had pending at death ,the FTCA claim and my more recent AO death claim.

Even if the internal organs are shot, the Donor program can harvest eyes, bones, and skin.

I cannot stress this enough. Only a complete autopsy can reveal the actual definitive cause of a veteran's death.

Edited by Berta

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

“Is It Worth Dying For? is the most important examination of stress and its effects on health and disease in years. In this groundbreaking book, cardiologist Dr. Robert S. Eliot identifies "hot reactors"-apparently healthy people who overreact dangerously to such common occurrences as losing a tennis game or missing a train. If you are a "hot reactor," you can be responding to stress with an all-out physical effort that is taking a heavy toll on your health...without your even being aware of it. Based on more than twenty years of research with thousands of patients, Is It Worth Dying For? takes stress management etc

http://books.google....ved=0CCQQ6AEwAg

I swiped this book ( BTW Dr. Eliot was a VA Cardiologist at the Gainseville VA as I recall when he wrote this book)from the local VAMC library and sent it to the RO in support of one of my claims years ago.I dont know why I didnt use my library card but was shocked at what I read after I found it in the patient's library and I left without checking the book out.

Dr. Eliot had done autopsies on hundreds and hundreds of deceased Vietnam combat veterans.He found that a very high rate of these veterans had already received a profound level of atherosclerosis in their arteries.

His conclusion- since these were mostly very young men -is that only the stress of battle itself could have caused this abnormal IHD finding.

VA sent the book back to the local VA library ,mentioned it as evidence, but never considered their own cardiologist's statements and his work.

I dont trust VA or some Senator to make any viable comparison with the incidence of IHD in Vietnam veterans as the same as within the average American population.The average American population didn't go to Vietnam.

The young deceased KIA vets that Dr Eliot autopsied had not had the time prior to Vietnam to engage in decades of poor eating habits, years of smoking or other IHD causing potentials, and none of them never witnessed the profound stress of battle prior to Vietnam unlike all other forms of stress ( This is my opinion based on combat PTSD research I have done).

I guess my point here is that if the Secretary says IHD goes on the AO list -that is it Period and no Senator will make points trying to say the Secretary is wrong.

I heard yesterday from someone that the IHD hearings are not going to happen.That's good but I have not been able to check the info out with other sources.

I also think IHD could be found as definitely more common in combat veterans above the general population but then again- how many vets are already dead and no one has put them into any data base of Vietnam service and IHD contributing to death.

I would have never won all of my claims without an autopsy having been done on my husband.I still can hear his Cardiologist words "Mrs. Simmons there is nothing wrong with his heart" when the coverup of his heart disease had begun.By the VA.

He was autopsied because he was an organ donor and at the time of autopsy I had no idea that it would reveal the basis and proof of the 1151 claim he had pending at death ,the FTCA claim and my more recent AO death claim.

Even if the internal organs are shot, the Donor program can harvest eyes, bones, and skin.

I cannot stress this enough. Only a complete autopsy can reveal the actual definitive cause of a veteran's death.

Berta: Thanks for posting this. Sen Webb should be provided a copy!!

Better yet, all congressmen/senators and politicians should be made aware of this book..

Thank your for your service Berta!!

Tom