VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First C&p For Diabetes And Coronary Artery Disease

Rate this question

JohnO

Question

First time post here. Greetings to all and thanks in advance for the help.

I am a Vietnam vet, served in III Corps in an assault helicopter company. I'm rated 0% right now, but am going for my first C&P on the 30th of this month.

My claim filed under Agent Orange is for Type II Diabetes with secondaries hypertension, neuropathy and coronary artery disease. This is how my VSR said to file. I'm not exactly sure why coronary artery disease cannot be considered separately given the recent IHD addition to the list of diseases covered under Agent Orange. Perhaps one of you will enlighten me about this.

I had a heart attack in '96. I have a stent and see a cardiologist 3-4 times a year, including an annual stress test. I have a neurologist that sees me twice a year for my neuropathy and my motor neuron disease. My family doctor treats my diabetes and hypertension.

My question is that I have two types of neuropathy or chronic pain. I've had chronic pain all over my body 24 hours a day since '89. Just the last three or so years, I noticed a new layer of pain in my feet, ankles and hands. My neurologist said that the "new" pain is diabetic neuropathy. Is diabetic neuopathy considered a secondary compliant to diabetes by the VA?

I have a complicated list of diseases and complaints. I'm unsure how to approach this hearing. What can I expect? Will I be throwing the examiner a curve if I talk about my chronic pain (been with me since '89) and my diabetic neuropathy that has been with me for three or for years?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is a progress report.

April 29, 2010 Walked into Myrtle Beach VA clinic with military records, requested exams for PTSD

Agent Orange, and anything else that I'm not aware of that can be claimed

May 3, 2010 Lab work for Agent Orange physical, Myrtle Beach clinic

May 5, 2010 Physical, Agent Orange, Myrtle Beach clinic

May 5, 2010 Radiology, chest, Agent Orange, Myrtle Beach clinic

May 19, 2010 Initial PTSD exam w/psychiatrist, Myrtle Beach clinic

May 26, 2010 With help of American Legion, Conway, SC, filed multiple claims including Agent

Orange, Diabetes w/diabetic neuropathy; PTSD, tinnitus, hearing loss, ALS

May 27, 2010 Physical exam, Agent Orange, Charleston, SC

June 16, 2010 letter from VA acknowledging claims filed by American Legion on my behalf

June 30, 2010 C&P, PTSD, Charleston, SC

June 30, 2010 C&P, COD/IHD/Diabetes/Hypertension, Charleston, SC

June 30, 2010 C&P, Hearing and Tinnitus, Charleston, SC

July 15, 2010 letter from Charleston VA stating my Agent Orange exam is complete; diagnosed with

Agent Orange exposure with claimable affects, Diabetees Mellitus and Ischemic Heart

Disease

July 24, 2010 All hospital and physician records obtained, mailed to VA with appropriate 21-4138

Note: I obtained my records directly from the hospitals and doctors to mail myself. This is so I would have an exact copy in my file of what the VA has. I carried records, both military and health, to all of my exams in case something specific was needed or requested.

I know now that I should have filed the claims before going to the clinic, or at least done so back in April when I first requested exams from the VA. I know I lost a month's compensation by not doing so. In fact, I should have done this years ago. I live in Houston and beginning in 1989, I've attempted on five different occasions to schedule exams and/or file claims. I've gotten so frustrated dealing with Houston VA and the DAV service officers that I'd give up. I live three to five months a year in South Carolina and thought I'd try Myrtle Beach/Charleston and see if there was a difference. It is unbelievable how much difference there is between the two operations, at least from my perspective.

• HadIt.com Elder

John

Well done and you did a great job with records and claim management. You should win and good luck. Are you able to work?

Good Luck

Thanks, and no about being able to work. I've been on Social Security disability since 1987.

John

Well done and you did a great job with records and claim management. You should win and good luck. Are you able to work?

Good Luck

What are you receiving the SSA for?

Regardless of whether it is for NSC conditions and not SC conditions -with what see here -did the AL suggest you file also for TDIU?

Berta, I'm receiving SSA for my motor neuron disease.

No, AL did not suggest that I file for TDIU. I was under the impression that I needed to get a disability rated high enough (don't recall the percentages right now) before I filed. I'm still at 0% right now. Please let me know if you think I should go ahead and file for TDIU. I've researched my ailments against ratings information posted on this site and in the regs and think I'll eventually be rated high enough to get TDIU.