VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Audio Exam Bad Experience

Rate this question

Ken1

Question

Two weeks ago I had a Audio C&P everything appears to be similar to exam I had in 2009 with this exception.

At the end of Verbal testing the VA Attendant doing the exam came into the sound proof room to complete a middle ear drum test which was air pressure (Unknown PSI). The Attendant put a device into my ear canal increased the air pressure. The device popped out the attendant put back in my ear canal and applied heavy hand pressure to hold device in place to complete the test My left ear had a very sharp pain during the test and I told her that the test was painful. But my right ear has been very uncomfortable since this test procedure for two weeks.

Any idea why his method was utilized? I have an appointment with my primary care physician tomorrow but would appreciate your replies.

Ken

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here you go:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ear-infections/ds00303/dsection=tests-and-diagnosis

Tests and diagnosis

By Mayo Clinic staff The doctor will examine you or your child and ask some questions about the ear infection. During the exam, the doctor will look for inflammation in the middle ear with a lighted instrument known as an otoscope.

The doctor may also use an instrument called a pneumatic otoscope, which allows him or her to gently puff air on the eardrum. Normally this causes the eardrum to move. Any fluid in the middle ear will prevent that movement.

Sometimes additional, often pain-free tests for ear infections are recommended - especially if you or your child has had fluid in the middle ear for some time:

• Tympanometry. This test measures eardrum movement. A soft plug is inserted into the opening of the ear. The plug includes a device that changes air pressure inside the ear.
  • Acoustic reflectometry. During this test, the doctor uses a hand-held instrument to project sounds of varying frequencies into the ear. How the sounds are reflected off the insides of the ear can tell the doctor how much fluid is inside the ear.

• Acute otitis media (AOM). In AOM, parts of the ear are infected and swollen, and fluid and mucus are trapped inside the ear.
    • Otitis media with effusion (OME). Effusion refers to fluid. In OME, fluid stays in the ear after the infection has cleared up. The presence of fluid increases the risk of a new infection, and you or your child may need additional treatments to clear the fluid from the ear.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like you need to talk to a real doctor about this..................I certainly am not qualified to comment.