VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Ao Prostate Cancer Cosidered Combat Related?

Rate this question

capted

Question

Hoping you guys will go by the rule that there are no dumb questions!

I have googled all over and can't find a definitive answer.

If I flew out of Vietnam and got shot at, is my 40 something years later prostate cancer considered combat related as well as service related?

Still waiting on VA decision, of course.

VA clinic here in Viera has been great. Didn't know I qualified but was told to

apply. Had orientation and VA ID card in less than a month.

There are a few state of Florida perks for combat related disabilities.

capted

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I qualify for the presumptive disability of prostate cancer due to flying out of Saigon during the time frame.

I know it is a service connected disability but is it a combat related disability?

I flew in a combat zone and had "boots on the ground".

The Florida statute clearly states that I must have a combat related disability to qualify for real estate tax exemption.

I want to know what I'm talking about before I talk to the Florida people.

It's not as clear as an injury due to combat operations.

Thanks,

capted

capted,

I already posted to you that no it is not a combat disability.

I live in Florida - I am a peace-time vet rated SC'd at 60 percent.

Florida does not require you to be a Combat Vet for property tax reduction and or

exclusion for those that are rated at 100 % P&T.

Here is the link:

http://www.floridavets.org/benefits/hmsted.asp#partial

Any real estate used and owned as a homestead by a veteran who was honorably discharged with a service-connected permanent and total disability and for whom a letter from the United States Government or VA or its predecessor has been issued certifying that the veteran is totally and permanently disabled is exempt from taxation, provided the veteran is a permanent resident of the state on January 1 of the tax year for which exemption is being claimed or on January 1 of the year the veteran died.

The production by a veteran or the spouse or surviving spouse of a letter of total and permanent disability from the United States Government or VA or its predecessor before the property appraiser of the county in which property of the veteran lies shall be prima facie evidence of the fact that the veteran or the surviving spouse is entitled to such exemption.

In the event the totally and permanently disabled veteran pre-deceases his or her spouse and upon the death of the veteran, the spouse holds the legal or beneficial title to the homestead and permanently resides thereon as specified in FS 196.031, the exemption from taxation shall carry over to the benefit of the veteran's spouse until such time as he or she remarries or sells or otherwise disposes of the property. If the spouse sells the property, an exemption not to exceed the amount granted from the most recent ad valorem tax roll may be transferred to his or her new residence as long as it is used as his or her primary residence and he or she does not remarry. FS 196.081

Veterans who are paraplegic, hemiplegic, are permanently and totally disabled, must use a wheelchair for mobility, or are legally blind are exempt from real estate taxation if gross annual household income does not exceed the adjusted maximum allowed. The veteran must be a resident of the State of Florida to qualify. Certificate of such disability from two licensed doctors of this state or from the VA or an award letter from the Social Security Administration to the property appraiser is prima facie evidence of entitlement to such exemption. FS 196.101

Homestead Exemption (10% to 100% BUT not Permanent in nature)

Eligible veterans with service-connected disabilities of 10% or more shall be entitled to a $5000 property tax exemption. To qualify for homestead exemption a veteran must be a bona fide resident of the state. FS 196.24

Every person who is entitled to homestead exemption in this state and who is serving in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States may file a claim for homestead exemption. Servicemen unable to file in person may file through next of kin or duly authorized representatives. FS 196.071

Thanks carlie,

Your patience and quick response are appreciated. As you

can see there are different opinions as to what is combat related.

That is merely academic now as the Permanent and Total is the key word(s) to

the Florida property tax exemption. It looks like I will get the $5,000.00 exemption though.

If Florida home values keep falling, that might be enough.laugh.gif

I'm on the Indian River so I haven't been hit as hard as most of us.

I will restrain myself from expressing a political opinion except to say that I am not

liking the "CHANGE" we are getting.

VOTE this November!!!!

Thanks again,

capted

capted,

I already posted to you that no it is not a combat disability.

I live in Florida - I am a peace-time vet rated SC'd at 60 percent.

Florida does not require you to be a Combat Vet for property tax reduction and or

exclusion for those that are rated at 100 % P&T.

Here is the link:

http://www.floridave...ted.asp#partial

Any real estate used and owned as a homestead by a veteran who was honorably discharged with a service-connected permanent and total disability and for whom a letter from the United States Government or VA or its predecessor has been issued certifying that the veteran is totally and permanently disabled is exempt from taxation, provided the veteran is a permanent resident of the state on January 1 of the tax year for which exemption is being claimed or on January 1 of the year the veteran died.

The production by a veteran or the spouse or surviving spouse of a letter of total and permanent disability from the United States Government or VA or its predecessor before the property appraiser of the county in which property of the veteran lies shall be prima facie evidence of the fact that the veteran or the surviving spouse is entitled to such exemption.

In the event the totally and permanently disabled veteran pre-deceases his or her spouse and upon the death of the veteran, the spouse holds the legal or beneficial title to the homestead and permanently resides thereon as specified in FS 196.031, the exemption from taxation shall carry over to the benefit of the veteran's spouse until such time as he or she remarries or sells or otherwise disposes of the property. If the spouse sells the property, an exemption not to exceed the amount granted from the most recent ad valorem tax roll may be transferred to his or her new residence as long as it is used as his or her primary residence and he or she does not remarry. FS 196.081

Veterans who are paraplegic, hemiplegic, are permanently and totally disabled, must use a wheelchair for mobility, or are legally blind are exempt from real estate taxation if gross annual household income does not exceed the adjusted maximum allowed. The veteran must be a resident of the State of Florida to qualify. Certificate of such disability from two licensed doctors of this state or from the VA or an award letter from the Social Security Administration to the property appraiser is prima facie evidence of entitlement to such exemption. FS 196.101

Homestead Exemption (10% to 100% BUT not Permanent in nature)

Eligible veterans with service-connected disabilities of 10% or more shall be entitled to a $5000 property tax exemption. To qualify for homestead exemption a veteran must be a bona fide resident of the state. FS 196.24

Every person who is entitled to homestead exemption in this state and who is serving in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States may file a claim for homestead exemption. Servicemen unable to file in person may file through next of kin or duly authorized representatives. FS 196.071

capted,

I've really got no reg to refer to regarding my opinion that the prostate cancer is not COMBAT RELATED.

I fully agree it is AO related.

I'm using my common sense in this way,

a GSW would be combat related, a TBI could be combat related, Hearing loss could be combat related,etc...

Anyways, I sure could be wrong, but I think the prostate cancer is just SC'd to AO and not listed as a "combat" disability.

As far as your Florida property taxes - whether it's combat related is a moot point as

this benefit only requires SC.

carlie

According to the Army's CRSC rules, Agent Orange presumptive conditions are considered to be combat-related. See the chart at:

https://www.hrc.army...ceConnected.pdf ( linked from https://www.hrc.army.../CRSCvCRDP.html )

I don't know if this will fly in Flordida, but I hope it helps.

Edited by JustPLS

• HadIt.com Elder

You do not have to have a "combat-related" disability to achieve the property tax relief in the state of Florida (or any other state that I know of that offers property tax relief to SERVICE-CONNECTED disabled veterans).

SERVICE-CONNECTED, yes.

COMBAT-RELATED, no.

And, to receive TOTAL property tax exemption, then you must be 100% Permanently and Totally disabled...........otherwise you can, in most states offering the exemption, receive PARTIAL property tax relief, if you are less than 100% disabled (and, that percentage and the percentage of exemption varys from state to state).