VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Go Back To School?

Rate this question

mako25

Question

I have fought for years and with the help of this site along with a lot of fighting I received a award of 100% T&P..Thank you...Now am I able to try to go back to school and get a degree? Will I continue to get my award? Do I receive a extra styphen for attending school?.....If I was able to compleate a program would I loose all my benefits? I am afraid of starting school and not being able to compleate the program because of my health but I would love the opertunity to go back to school..

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have fought for years and with the help of this site along with a lot of fighting I received a award of 100% T&P..Thank you...Now am I able to try to go back to school and get a degree? Will I continue to get my award? Do I receive a extra styphen for attending school?.....If I was able to compleate a program would I loose all my benefits? I am afraid of starting school and not being able to compleate the program because of my health but I would love the opertunity to go back to school..

Welllll, it depends.

Did you receive your 100% "schedular" or did you receive your 100% due to TDIU? And, if you received your 100% due to TDIU, was your qualifying disability that got you your 100% TDIU, was it for "psych" causes?

I will stick my neck out here and say that if your 100% P&T was for "schedular" disability, then you'd be "safe" in going back to school. BUT, if your 100% P&T was due to TDIU...........I'd be veddy, veddy careful. And, no, I don't believe that you would be receiving a stipend, NOR DO YOU WANT TO if you are TDIU.

Just go back to school.

And, take the very first course that they offer in "Keeping Yur Mouth Shut"..................... :rolleyes:

You do know, of course, that, if you are 100% P&T due to TDIU......that you'll never work again.........or, if you do, that you stand a very good chance of losing your battle with the VA?

And, also remember, the VA and the Social Security Administration co-share their information (just in case you were wondering HOW they would know you went back to work).

• HadIt.com Elder

If you use your own money and keep quite about it I think you could go to school. However, what is the point of seeking a degree if you are P&T? If you are just doing it for your own self esteem that is ok. What is your disability? If you try and get the VA to give you vocational rehabilitation they are either going to say "NO" or question your P&T status. How old are you if you don't mind saying?

• HadIt.com Elder

Neither the VA nor SS think that going to school is the same as working. There are not many schools that pay you to go so there is no earned income. You might consider asking VA and SS if they will rehab by paying for your school.

• Founder

it really depends like others said are you 100% schedular or 100% (TDIU) if TDIU the rationale would be if you can go to school, than you can work, if you can work, then you are not TDIU. however if you are a 100% schedular for physical disabilities you may not have any problems at all. for example former senator max clealand of ga lost both legs and one arm in vietnam and he worked and became a senator. however, if you a 100% for mental health, it seems to me that is where you would run into problems, going to school and being 100% for mental health reasons just don't seem compatible to me.

whatever you do, don't lie to the va or ssa, you will buy yourself a world of hurt.

tbird

Thanks...I guess I will leave well enough alone..The reason I was thinking about going back to school was just to try again to do something with my life..I know deep down inside my med problems would not allow me to attend classes on a regular basis.The last thing I need is to stir the pot after such a long battle...Thanks again you guys are great.