VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Twilight Zone

Rate this question

VET4LIFE

Question

You have now entered the C & P Twilight Zone... A journey of sight and sound........

Has anyone ever had a really weird C & P exam???????

I went yesterday to my C & P after applying for an increase from my 10 % SC claim for my back.

I made sure I went when I was in pretty bad pain. My back has been hurting pretty badly for the past month.

I did not take any meds so that the examiner could see how much pain I was in.

This examiner made some, what I believe to be, inapropriate comments.

He told me it didn't matter how much pain I was in I could get no increase at all & that some people have a higher pain tolerance than others.

He told me I was too fat, which I am, but really none of his business.

He told me because of the type of work I did after the service I could have injured my back worse.

He told me it was redicules to come to the C&P in such pain and that he couldn't even examine me.

He told me that he has had worse back pain than I have.

After all this was said I told him, "Look, I never had a problem with my back until I was hurt in the service

and it has gotten progressively worse to the point where I am now.

Then he said, "OK put you shoes on you're approved. I will need a new X-ray and MRI though."

Uppon arriving at Radiology I was informed that the Dr. had called radiology had said that "there was no X-ray or MRI needed" & he was

"going to use previous X-ray/ MRI's"

Needless to say I am pretty confused right now....

I think new MRI/ X-rays would deliniate whether or not I have a worsening condition.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to the above one & what was the outcome?????

There were such mixed messages in this appointment I honestly don't know what to think.

Comments and answers appreciated.......

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It's hard to say what will be your best option.

If the VA decides in your favor, and the rating is to your satisfaction, you will likely accept.

If not, a denial or "low ball" should be appealed. You may wish to get an independent exam and opinion.

You cannot count chickens until they hatch.

It's also possible to complain, and possibly get another C&P. Given the hassle involved, It's a little early to go this route, unless you have a real reason to do so.

Taking the remarks at face value, the examiner was not knowledgeable or was prejudiced against veterans. (Or both)

Now you know why the VA fights about recording a C&P. It helps reduce or eliminate evidence that might be used against them when the C&P events are not recorded..

How old were the existing X-Rays/MRIs?

You have now entered the C & P Twilight Zone... A journey of sight and sound........

Has anyone ever had a really weird C & P exam???????

I went yesterday to my C & P after applying for an increase from my 10 % SC claim for my back.

I made sure I went when I was in pretty bad pain. My back has been hurting pretty badly for the past month.

I did not take any meds so that the examiner could see how much pain I was in.

This examiner made some, what I believe to be, inapropriate comments.

He told me it didn't matter how much pain I was in I could get no increase at all & that some people have a higher pain tolerance than others.

He told me I was too fat, which I am, but really none of his business.

He told me because of the type of work I did after the service I could have injured my back worse.

He told me it was redicules to come to the C&P in such pain and that he couldn't even examine me.

He told me that he has had worse back pain than I have.

After all this was said I told him, "Look, I never had a problem with my back until I was hurt in the service

and it has gotten progressively worse to the point where I am now.

Then he said, "OK put you shoes on you're approved. I will need a new X-ray and MRI though."

Upon arriving at Radiology I was informed that the Dr. had called radiology had said that "there was no X-ray or MRI needed" & he was

"going to use previous X-ray/ MRI's"

Needless to say I am pretty confused right now....

I think new MRI/ X-rays would deliniate whether or not I have a worsening condition.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to the above one & what was the outcome?????

There were such mixed messages in this appointment I honestly don't know what to think.

Comments and answers appreciated.......

I know just what you mean vet4life, I had a C&P 3 weeks ago for PTSD and some one must have kidnapped me and went in my place. The Dr. was argumentative the whole 4 hours I was there. Just got the exam notes and was shocked the he stated that "at this time the veterans shows NO symptoms of PTSD! Veteran at one point in his life did meet the criteria of PTSD but not presently"

AXIS I; Poly-substance abuse in remission for more than a decade.

AXIS II; No diagnosis

AXIS III; See medical history

AXIS IV; economic distress, Severe life threatening diseases

AXISV; GAF 59

So I guess the 2 failed marriages, abused currant wife for 15 years 17 jobs in 35 years, a drunk and doper until I finally grew up and became a man, the attempted suicide in 1978, ect, ect was all just a dream.

He said I smelled of stale tobacco smoke, I haven't smoked for 2 years and 3 months!

He also stated that I was given a PHQ-2 test in 8-08, and scored 0. The answer to all 17 questions was "not at all" . This is bs' I was never given this test, but how do I prove that?

I guess I have been cured, or screwed big time. This is why I sometimes really get pissed at the VA. This isn't right, but how do I fix it.I know the denial is most likely as not in the mail. Time to go and get my own Psychiatrist and get a IOM. Oh that's right I am broke.

But all kidding aside, anyone have any advise, I am running on empty!!!!

I know just what you mean vet4life, I had a C&P 3 weeks ago for PTSD and some one must have kidnapped me and went in my place. The Dr. was argumentative the whole 4 hours I was there. Just got the exam notes and was shocked the he stated that "at this time the veterans shows NO symptoms of PTSD! Veteran at one point in his life did meet the criteria of PTSD but not presently"

AXIS I; Poly-substance abuse in remission for more than a decade.

AXIS II; No diagnosis

AXIS III; See medical history

AXIS IV; economic distress, Severe life threatening diseases

AXISV; GAF 59

So I guess the 2 failed marriages, abused currant wife for 15 years 17 jobs in 35 years, a drunk and doper until I finally grew up and became a man, the attempted suicide in 1978, ect, ect was all just a dream.

He said I smelled of stale tobacco smoke, I haven't smoked for 2 years and 3 months!

He also stated that I was given a PHQ-2 test in 8-08, and scored 0. The answer to all 17 questions was "not at all" . This is bs' I was never given this test, but how do I prove that?

I guess I have been cured, or screwed big time. This is why I sometimes really get pissed at the VA. This isn't right, but how do I fix it.I know the denial is most likely as not in the mail. Time to go and get my own Psychiatrist and get a IOM. Oh that's right I am broke.

First, don't give up. Second, write a very detailed narrative of your adventures and copy each department head, Shinseki, your elected reps and your VSO.

Keep looking to your buds for your back. We all will help whereever we can.

But all kidding aside, anyone have any advise, I am running on empty!!!!

There are a lot of flake examiners out there. 1992, my first C&P exam Doc showed up for my 800am appointment at 230 pm drunk bragging about his great golf game, this was at the VA in Milwakee, WI. I drove 330 miles south to get there one way. Had to do this 2 more times thanks to him. Gave up to tell you the truth until a few years ago wish I never did. Stay in there and keep fighting.