VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally! Ptsd Presumptive Monday

Rate this question

Brother Gate

Question

I heard the news while riding to the VA to see my doctor this morning. I could not believe it. What we have been fighting for will be realized Monday. No more proving; no more stressors; no more triggers; and no more of the same games. Don't know all that is ahead but this I do know; "We have come a long way baby!"

Thanks to all the brothers and sisters for their emails to their congressman and to the legislators and to the VA demanding our rights and benefits for the service we have paid for with blood sweat and tears. This time it is tears of joy. Let us all celebrate. It is just a beginning but this time we win!!!!!

http://www.vva.org/

Peace and love,

Brother Gate

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am a 100% service connected for ptsd, from the vietnam war, and i no there are veterans that served in other wars that will benefit on the new ptsd ruling,but i am defending the vietnam veteran,because i was there and understand most of there problems and at least 95% of the vietnam veterans is suffering from ptsd and cant prove there inservice stressor and they didn't know that they could get help from va and trying to prove something that happen 40+ years ago is hard for the average vietnam vet to do.Ptsd was limited to only to the veterans that have a combat infantryman badge,purple heart,combat action ribbion and any other medal that was recorded on there dd form 214 that was related to combat,in vietnam there was combat everywhere and if you was a cook,clerk,worked in supply,worked in transpotation they probably have a traumatic event that occur to them that cause ptsd,almost every military base,basecamp,outpost or LZ was attacked by the enemy and there was cooks,clerks and every other mos occupping these base and base camps and a lot of these veterans is having a hard time dealing with life today.According to the lastest report about Two million seven hundred thousand veterans served in vietnam and today,there is only eighthundred thousand living and at that rate,by 2015 almost all of us will be gone.So i am for the new ruling on ptsd, even if someone that don't deserve it get service connected for ptsd,some time you got to do for the ones that dont deserve it to help the ones that do.

mobie16r

• HadIt.com Elder

This new rule is a 2 edged sword it makes it easier for a veteran to make a claim without having a verified stressor but it also has the part where you HAVE to have a VA doc make the diagnosis or PTSD you can NOT use a personal doctor make your diagnosis if the VA is blaming your mental health issue on anything else they will no longer accept an IMO on the issue a veteran has to have the diagnosis made by a VA doc and that may be a way for the VA to put a lid on PTSD claims I think we all remember the Norma Perez e mail from about 2 years ago and the opinions of the think tank types like Sally Satel so this rule can be a good thing and it can also have it's negative aspects I think I will withhold judgement on it

I do remember a comment that a certain senator made at a hearing on the PTSD review claims issue back in 2006 or maybe it was in 2007 when they were talking about doing those reviews on 72,000 claims and had already done the initial 2100 and found most of the mistakes were the VARO's fault in not properly documenting the file but less than 2% were actually fraudulent claims

it went something like this

I would rather have some one getting a check that they don't deserve rather than have even one veteran and their family denied the checks that they do deserve

we all know that there are some people who are going to try and scam a system where and when there is money involved in it, and when the frauds are caught they deserve to be prosecuted to the fullest

but I hope this new rule helps veterans that have been denied the compensation that they deserve rather than become a way for fraud to bloom we all know or have been involved in things that the military does not document or that got covered up for whatever reason and we did not have pictures or statements from the people involved at the time and we have no way of locating 10, 20 or 40 years later when it becomes necessary for us to have that evidence to substantiate a comp claim

this should not be a dividing line for veterans helping other veterans though are we all going to try and start deciding who deserves to make a PTSD claim before we help them? I remember wanting to kick the azz of a American Legion rep who told me he would not file my claim for PTSD because it didn't pass "his smell test" he retired less than 6 months later I raised hell with the Governors office he was an official rep of the state I also revoked the POA for the American legion that was in 2003 I was later awarded 100% schedular after I found the 4 general court martials of the men who were tried for attempted murder and robbery and sent to leavenworth for 15 years for thier acts on me the AL or the RO wouldn't get the files they just kept telling me there was no proof of my claim I finally tracked down the court martial records thru JAG in DC I had read somewhere they had every General court martial going back to 1935 a really nice lady there used my name as a witness and took less than 5 minutes on her computer to locate the records she mailed them to me a week later I guess the AL or the VA didn't try very hard to find the records

we are here to help other veterans not to be judge and juries just my 2 cents

I am a 100% service connected for ptsd, from the vietnam war, and i no there are veterans that served in other wars that will benefit on the new ptsd ruling,but i am defending the vietnam veteran,because i was there and understand most of there problems and at least 95% of the vietnam veterans is suffering from ptsd and cant prove there inservice stressor and they didn't know that they could get help from va and trying to prove something that happen 40+ years ago is hard for the average vietnam vet to do.Ptsd was limited to only to the veterans that have a combat infantryman badge,purple heart,combat action ribbion and any other medal that was recorded on there dd form 214 that was related to combat,in vietnam there was combat everywhere and if you was a cook,clerk,worked in supply,worked in transpotation they probably have a traumatic event that occur to them that cause ptsd,almost every military base,basecamp,outpost or LZ was attacked by the enemy and there was cooks,clerks and every other mos occupping these base and base camps and a lot of these veterans is having a hard time dealing with life today.According to the lastest report about Two million seven hundred thousand veterans served in vietnam and today,there is only eighthundred thousand living and at that rate,by 2015 almost all of us will be gone.So i am for the new ruling on ptsd, even if someone that don't deserve it get service connected for ptsd,some time you got to do for the ones that dont deserve it to help the ones that do.

mobie16r

Bravo, well said mobie, and I agree with you 100%

• HadIt.com Elder

I really wish that those who feel that fraud will be easier not to worry as the VA has powerful teeth to detect and stop fraud. With the new rule Veterans with a proper diagnosis of PTSD documented in their records can more easily ask for and be considered for benefits that they earned with their service.

Whether or not you agree with a poster in this thread please keep it civil. Expressing a concern about VA and Benefits is fine as long as it is not a personal attack on a Member we don't agree with.