VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Calcified Granuloma In Lung

Rate this question

troyez

Question

After a chest X-ray for a respiratory infection, and subsequent CT scan, I found out that I have a calcified granuloma in my right lung. I've heard that it is caused by some foreign body that was inhaled into the lung (mold, asbestos, etc.), and that it may or may not be serious. I've had moderate pain in the area for the last 2+ years, but thought it was from an old rib injury. I lived in several different barracks (old) while in the Army, and the last building had black mold growing on all the air ducts, above the dropped ceiling tiles there was asbestos tape on the pipes, and rats infested the building. I am not exaggerating one iota; it was B quad of Schofield Barracks (the old buildings), in case you're wondering. I lived in the barracks the entire 3 yrs I was in the Army, so I breathed whatever was in my room(s). We who lived in the barracks complained to our chain of command about the mold, asbestos, and rats, but our 1SG told us we could always stay in tents instead of the rooms.

Before I was discharged I filmed the black mold on the vents, and did a home mold test on the room, and have kept the tape and the mold test results.

My question is, do I have a case with the VA for calcified granuloma in my lung?

I'm pretty worried about whether it is from asbestos or mold (or rat crap!). Ideas?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I would file a claim if I were you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/granuloma/AN00830

It doesn't sound serious but then again could it cause additional problems? I dont know.

Histoplasmosis - the calcification- can come from mold.

There are many other problems but if you have inservice proof of black mold exposure ( which made me ill once-that stuff is awful) you could use the inservice photos as evidence of exposure.

It is possible VA wll try to say that post service exposures to mold etc caused this. I dont know how soon the calcfication would show up in an Z ray.Or after exposure but if you do a little research on the net , it will help you determine if this is a ratable condition and if yo had any other inservice exposures that could cause it.

Even if they award but only at "0' or 10 % if this somehow aggravates any further lung conditions (which I hope you never get) then the SC would have been established for it and VA would have to rate the level of aggravation.

This BVA decision gives some rating information for this disability.

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp00/files3/0029081.txt

Did you have any bronchial or respiratory problems noted in your SMRs? DO you have those problems now?

A search under your condition at the BVA web site will reveal about 400 claims with this condition noted.

If I were you I would read some of the most recent ones to see what evidence the VA might need.

Edited by Berta

After a chest X-ray for a respiratory infection, and subsequent CT scan, I found out that I have a calcified granuloma in my right lung. I've heard that it is caused by some foreign body that was inhaled into the lung (mold, asbestos, etc.), and that it may or may not be serious. I've had moderate pain in the area for the last 2+ years, but thought it was from an old rib injury. I lived in several different barracks (old) while in the Army, and the last building had black mold growing on all the air ducts, above the dropped ceiling tiles there was asbestos tape on the pipes, and rats infested the building. I am not exaggerating one iota; it was B quad of Schofield Barracks (the old buildings), in case you're wondering. I lived in the barracks the entire 3 yrs I was in the Army, so I breathed whatever was in my room(s). We who lived in the barracks complained to our chain of command about the mold, asbestos, and rats, but our 1SG told us we could always stay in tents instead of the rooms.

Before I was discharged I filmed the black mold on the vents, and did a home mold test on the room, and have kept the tape and the mold test results.

My question is, do I have a case with the VA for calcified granuloma in my lung?

I'm pretty worried about whether it is from asbestos or mold (or rat crap!). Ideas?

You really need to stay on top of this, it is something that cuold be caused by any number of things none of which are good. You will probably need a biopsy to determine the exact cause, for this they will do a bronchoscopy. I recommend you ask for a referal to pulmonology, they are the ones whowill do the bronch. If you don't mind would you keep me posted of the outcome.

Bergie