VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newly Diagnosed

Rate this question

Guest fedupinpa

Question

Guest fedupinpa

I have been getting the Va run around for years, I filed a PTSD claim in 2002 and was denied, went through all steps, NOD, etc, end result denial and diagnosed with other diagnoses like anxiety disorder etc. I was Diagnosed with PTSD from civilian psychiatrist, was medicated and counselled.

Had another exam in 2005 and again in 2006 and once again they danced around it and called it anxiety, etc.

Anyway on 6/29/2010

I had an exam and here was the result

Axis I: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Moderate.

Axis II: No Diagnosis

Axis III: Various listed, I am only concerned with current right now

Axis IV: Relationship issues with family and supervisor at work, extreme discomfort interacting with other individuals, and ongoing poor quality of sleep that impacts her day to day functioning.

Axis V: GAF 51

Goes on explaining that GAF was determined diagnoses of PTSD alone, her diagnosis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder alone, her diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder alone or all three in any combination. Goes on to state that he believes that all three diagnoses are the direct result of her military service in Iraq.

The entire exam is 7 pages long and he disects the other two exams through out the narrative implying through out that it should have been diagnosed as PTSD, he also stated during the exam that it should have been done a long time ago.

So my questions are:

What percentage could I possibly be looking at?

Should it be back dated to 2002 when I filed for the original claim? How will the date of the decision be determined?

Since a VA Psych finally diagnosed it in a comp and pension exam am I guarenteed a rating?

I thank you in advance for your time and help here. Great site.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not working apply for TDIU. That is going to be a big factor in your rating. Other than that it could be from 30% to 70%. There is just no way to know until you get the rating. I think you will get service connection which the the most important factor in your long term struggle.

Guest fedupinpa

I wonder how long it will take the regional office to move and make a decision. It is the pittsburgh pa office. The doc said I should hear something in 90 days, does that sound right?

A formal claim of PTSD needs proof of a stressor.

However tomorrow AM (hopefully) the new PTSD regs will be published and they are supposed to relax the stressor requirement for many many Iraq war veterans depending on their MOS and if the stressor is consistent with war service.

I hope these new regulations will help your claim.

This is due to the intentions of Sec Shenseki to help speed up claims.

This will help you:

"Goes on to state that he believes that all three diagnoses are the direct result of her military service in Iraq."

They will only rate the primary mental condition.

As soon as the new reg is posted we will see it here at hadit.

I would think in some cases, wartime vets might still have to prove their stressor.Would you be able to do that if the new PTSD regs dont help you?

I commented on these regulations when they were available for public inpt at the Federal Register site.

Still it will be the actual regs themselves which help many vets with PTSD who served in combat zones or anywhere there was possibility of harm to themselves. I thoink it only covers PGW,Iraq and Afganistan veterans but the regs will spell tht all out clearly.

Guest fedupinpa

seems to be common practice with the VA, calling ptsd anything but it. I just hope they do whats right and give the appropriate rating and the appropriate back pay. I am not sure what they would go back to . I filed a claim in 2002, they denied it. I filed again in 2008, that is what this exam is for, but I feel they should pay back to at least 2002 when I filed that claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

Fedup

Welcome to Hadit. Many of us have been on the same merry go round. If you keep your cool and hang in you should win.