VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Some Veterans Raise Questions About Va's New Ptsd Rules

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

SOME VETERANS RAISE QUESTIONS ABOUT VA'S NEW PTSD RULES New rules would only accept a PTSD diagnosis from a VA provider or someone under contract to the VA.

by Larry Scott, VA Watchdog dot Org

-------------------------

The big news of the last few days has been:

But now, some questions are being raised about the new PTSD rules.

In a recent article in the Army Times, Rick Maze writes:

Under the proposed rules, veterans diagnosed with PTSD by a VA health care professional or by someone under contract with VA
no longer would have to provide proof that they had been part of a traumatic event in order to be approved for benefits.

Later in the article we read:

[Ryan] Gallucci [AmVets spokesman] said AmVets generally supports the rules changes, believing they will make it easier for veterans to receive benefits and treatment.
But he is disappointed that the VA rule does not accept a PTSD diagnosis from a military or civilian doctor as sufficient proof.

(Emphasis in above quotes is mine.)

The complete Army Times article is available here:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/07/m

ilitary_va_ptsd_rules_071010w/

It will be interesting to see how the new rules read and if they truly will make it easier for veterans to get disability compensation for PTSD.

http://www.vawatchdo.../nf071210-1.htm

Edited by pacmanx1

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

SOME VETERANS RAISE QUESTIONS ABOUT VA'S NEW PTSD RULES New rules would only accept a PTSD diagnosis from a VA provider or someone under contract to the VA.

by Larry Scott, VA Watchdog dot Org

-------------------------

The big news of the last few days has been:

But now, some questions are being raised about the new PTSD rules.

In a recent article in the Army Times, Rick Maze writes:

Under the proposed rules, veterans diagnosed with PTSD by a VA health care professional or by someone under contract with VA
no longer would have to provide proof that they had been part of a traumatic event in order to be approved for benefits.

Later in the article we read:

[Ryan] Gallucci [AmVets spokesman] said AmVets generally supports the rules changes, believing they will make it easier for veterans to receive benefits and treatment.
But he is disappointed that the VA rule does not accept a PTSD diagnosis from a military or civilian doctor as sufficient proof.

(Emphasis in above quotes is mine.)

The complete Army Times article is available here:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/07/m

ilitary_va_ptsd_rules_071010w/

It will be interesting to see how the new rules read and if they truly will make it easier for veterans to get disability compensation for PTSD.

http://www.vawatchdo.../nf071210-1.htm

Pete,

Thanks for the article.

Regards,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

I, personally, think this is great but I also believe the VA will certainly reduce the use of the PTSD diagnosis. I foresee more adjustment disorder being diagnosed, which they will probably, within a year or two after award, say is cured. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

My brother who is on VA Pension and diagnosed with PTSD called me and told me he is ready to file for 100% Service Connection today.

How he found out I am amazed he lives in a house that has no electricity except for two batteries and three solar panels. No TV but he reads and gets mad at everyone he has any relationship with and will not talk or contact for months and sometimes years.

Because he was on a Carrier he had no chance with PTSD now he thinks he can get it. I am not so sure but here we go again and he will probably get mad at me before it is over although he is grateful we at least got him a pension.

Also just for all to know he lives well on his $975 (?) pension never borrows money and actually has some savings, He grows his own vegetables will not sign up for food stamps housing help available and Medicaid. I worry about him cause he is the kind that can provoke other people .

I am the only person he trusts so I get all the weird phone calls like when he leaves his ATM card at the Bank and stuff like that. Somehow he has found a new girlfriend and when I drive by his place he is hardly there although other family tell me he is home Sunday through Friday.

I really worry about him he has had 4 skin cancer operation in last year or so and is always mad at the VA for some reason or another.