VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Flood Gates Are Open!

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

VA Simplifies Access to Health Care and Benefits for Veterans with PTSD

July 12, 2010

WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki announced a critical step forward in providing an easier process for Veterans seeking health care and disability compensation for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), with the publication of a final regulation in the Federal Register.

“This nation has a solemn obligation to the men and women who have honorably served this country and suffer from the often devastating emotional wounds of war,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki. “This final regulation goes a long way to ensure that Veterans receive the benefits and services they need.”

By publishing a final regulation in the Federal Register to simplify the process for a Veteran to claim service connection for PTSD, VA reduces the evidence needed if the trauma claimed by a Veteran is related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran’s service.

This science-based regulation relies on evidence that concluded that a Veteran’s deployment to a war zone is linked to an increased risk of PTSD.

Under the new rule, VA would not require corroboration of a stressor related to fear of hostile military or terrorist activity if a VA doctor confirms that the stressful experience recalled by a Veteran adequately supports a diagnosis of PTSD and the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor.

Previously, claims adjudicators were required to corroborate that a non-combat Veteran actually experienced a stressor related to hostile military activity. This final rule simplifies the development that is required for these cases.

VA expects this rulemaking to decrease the time it takes VA to decide access to care and claims falling under the revised criteria. More than 400,000 Veterans currently receiving compensation benefits are service connected for PTSD. Combined with VA’s shorter claims form, VA’s new streamlined, science-based regulation allows for faster and more accurate decisions that also expedite access to medical care and other benefits for Veterans.

PTSD is a medically recognized anxiety disorder that can develop from seeing or experiencing an event that involves actual or threatened death or serious injury to which a person responds with intense fear, helplessness or horror, and is not uncommon among war Veterans.

Disability compensation is a tax-free benefit paid to a Veteran for disabilities that are a result of -- or made worse by -- injuries or diseases associated with active service.

For additional information, go to www.va.gov or call VA’s toll free benefits number at 1-800-827-1000.

biggrin.gifph34r.gifblush.gifrolleyes.gifsmile.gifohmy.giflaugh.gifexcl.gif

Wow if I am understanding this right seeing that I am under the influence of multiple medications to include narcotics for pain I have to always read and reread and still careful with my interpretation. But as I read this it sounds like it is saying that to make it easier for veterans that they no longer have to prove a stressor for PTSD just have VA Doc confirm the stress experience by the veteran and have a diagnoses by the DOC. Woweeeeeeeee!

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I may be wrong but the way I read it, I think it will be good for veterans.

For example, if you were in Fallujah Iraq, you will not have to prove that you were in such and such firefight on this day at this time. Just being in Fallujah, Iraq during the battle period would be enough. Now to my mind that is a good thing.

This makes showing your stressor easier, you still have to be diagnosed with PTSD and do the VA Hokey Pokey. I could be wrong, but I do think it will turn out to be a good thing for veterans. Getting a diagnosis of PTSD is not that easy, you have to meet the criteria in the DSM IV.

Just my two cents.

Yes this will be good for Veterans. COMBAT AND NON-COMBAT No one in this forum has the right to stand up and say only combat PTSD should be considered or make an insinuation of such. There are so many NON COMBAT military personnel out there fighting the same PTSD symptoms as combat troops. Now maybe they can start putting their lives back together with the hopes of being compensated the same as others. We all put our lives on the line when we put that uniform on. Everyone who protects this great nation in uniform and that has experienced and been DX'd with PTSD should and can be treated on an equal basis. Of course this is my Opinion only.

Edited by Chu Lai69

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Doubtful. The VA doesn't work that fast...

I am in agreement with Berta.

I do not feel this update in the reg will be advantageous to any vet that experienced MST and did not report it on AD.

"Coverage of Other Stressors

VA also received comments suggesting that the rule should cover

stressors such as MST, abuse by military personnel of subordinate

military personnel, harassment, suicide of a fellow service member,

witnessing a military vehicle accident in the United States, a fellow

soldier's or sailor's post-service suicide, and social, political, and

economic discrimination. One commenter suggested that VA should

promulgate a similar rule to assist those with physical injuries due to

hostile military or terrorist activity. These comments are outside the

scope of this rule. Therefore, we make no change based on them.

However, regarding MST, we note as well that 38 CFR 3.304(f)(5) (before

this rulemaking codified at 38 CFR 3.304(f)(4)) permits evidence other

than a veteran's service records to corroborate the occurrence of an

in-service personal assault and prohibits VA from denying a claim for

service connection for PTSD based on in-service personal assault

without first advising the claimant that evidence from sources other

than a veteran's service records may prove the stressor occurred. "

BG,

PTSD does not discriminate, it can hit any vet - combat or not.

A vet is a vet and PTSD is PTSD, no matter how you get it.

Carlie, I do fully understand the nature of PTSD. I have been a student of it for quite sometime. You are correct that PTSD does not discriminate but the VA has in the past discriminated in the application of the law to PTSD rulings. My reference is to my own situation as a combat veteran and to those that have been in combat but were denied with the burden of proof that is not in our records. I am in agreement with you; it does not matter how you got it as long as it is related to your military experience and you choose to service connect it.

My only hope is that I don't end up with any desk jockeys in my PTSD group on Monday.

Bill

Geeeezzzzzzzz Bill, I personally know of 2 so called DESK JOCKEYS that lost their lives in a motor attack back in the rear with the gear. Guys I just hate it when insinuations like this are stated. Disc Jockey, Horse Jockey or Desk Jockey Bill can have PTSD the same as others. Anyone that suffers PTSD because of their military service can sit next to me anytime. And guess what Bill?, I am a combat veteran with PTSD.

Edited by Chu Lai69