VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

ejw4856

Question

Good morning all.Im new here to posting but have read alot of posts here,which offers good answers.I have just received my award for ptsd at 30%.One of the reasons i think i was lowballed was thw dr gave me a gaf score of 32.i know the raters dont go by this number but includes it with their decision.Some of what he said was right but it goes far more with depression and panic attacks and sometimes just get so depressed that i dont go anywhere and dont accosiate with friends and family.Do u think that i should be rated at 50-70%.I also have asthma and copd and after last pft test that 2-3 years left if that.so what i would like to do is get a higher rating so i may get iu.i hope im saying this right but im not sure.thanks for any answers.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Gaf is not everything true but that is a very low award for a Gaf that low. Take a look at the criteria for PTSD and see where you think you fit. After you see where you fit I would suggest you talk with your psychiatrist or who gave you the diagnosis and see if you can get them to refute or expand on your condition to get you rated higher.

After you have done that send it in to your RO and ask for a reconsideration and give them the new evidence to support the rating you feel you deserve. Make sure you keep and eye on the date you send the request in because before it goes past a year you will have to request it be considered a NOD.

Good luck to you!

Good morning all.Im new here to posting but have read alot of posts here,which offers good answers.I have just received my award for ptsd at 30%.One of the reasons i think i was lowballed was thw dr gave me a gaf score of 32.i know the raters dont go by this number but includes it with their decision.Some of what he said was right but it goes far more with depression and panic attacks and sometimes just get so depressed that i dont go anywhere and dont accosiate with friends and family.Do u think that i should be rated at 50-70%.I also have asthma and copd and after last pft test that 2-3 years left if that.so what i would like to do is get a higher rating so i may get iu.i hope im saying this right but im not sure.thanks for any answers.

To many people think a GAF score equates to a certain rating percentage. It has been beaten over and over on this website, but the bottom line is GAF alone does not gaurentee a specific percentage. Never has, and probably never will. With that said, if you feel you rate a higher percentage you should file a NOD. I recommend you take your time you have 1 year to file it. First thing you should do is request a copy of the c&p exam and c-file. Once you have both you can see what evidence the rater used to make the decision, and whether they had everything you submitted in support of your claim. As I said take your time and develope your claim.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

HI.

I'm going to ask you a couple of questions if that is okey?

1. Do you now, or have you ever, sought treatment at your VA Medical Center or Community-Based Outpatient Clinic? If so, was it for your depression or was it for PTSD?

2. Do you know this doctor that gave you the GAF of 32? If so, good, if not see if you can find this doctor. Ask them if they will, considering your low GAF score, write an opinion as to whether you are employable or not, at that GAF score (NOT, is the correct answer, by-the-way).

3. Have you filed a claim for Major Depression? Or, better still, if you cannot work, file a claim for TDIU (Total Disability Due to Unemployability) using VA Form #21-8940, which you can download from the va.gov website (look under "FORMS").

There's a lot "missing" here that I don't understand. Like, HOW can they justify a GAF of 32, and give you an award of 30%, and maintain a straight face (without laughing their collective asses off)? I usually agree with Bergie, but, with a "32"...............................? Most usually, when I see a 50 or less, I'll see a 70% or AT LEAST a 50%, and that's based SOLELY upon the GAF in most cases. But, like I say, what the heck do I know, right? :blink:

HI.

I'm going to ask you a couple of questions if that is okey?

1. Do you now, or have you ever, sought treatment at your VA Medical Center or Community-Based Outpatient Clinic? If so, was it for your depression or was it for PTSD?

2. Do you know this doctor that gave you the GAF of 32? If so, good, if not see if you can find this doctor. Ask them if they will, considering your low GAF score, write an opinion as to whether you are employable or not, at that GAF score (NOT, is the correct answer, by-the-way).

3. Have you filed a claim for Major Depression? Or, better still, if you cannot work, file a claim for TDIU (Total Disability Due to Unemployability) using VA Form #21-8940, which you can download from the va.gov website (look under "FORMS").

There's a lot "missing" here that I don't understand. Like, HOW can they justify a GAF of 32, and give you an award of 30%, and maintain a straight face (without laughing their collective asses off)? I usually agree with Bergie, but, with a "32"...............................? Most usually, when I see a 50 or less, I'll see a 70% or AT LEAST a 50%, and that's based SOLELY upon the GAF in most cases. But, like I say, what the heck do I know, right? :blink:

First thankyou for responding to my question. Yes i have and am getting medical and meds at okc va.But not for ptsd.I filed for some issues and ptsd was one of them.then they sent me to a qtc phy dr. I have not seen his report yet but have requested it along with my c file.I have a am legion vso.he said that it was a low ball because of the gaf score and we will file a nod for all issues which the other ones were declined to be sc.According to all i have found out that it shoould be at least 50% which im tryin to get to 70% total so i qualify for iu.According to my pulmo dr i have 2-3 years if that to live and that also has me depressed.so if u can read between the lines id like to give my wife something for security after im gone.I dont know that qtc dr.but i can call and ask if he would do that for me,he can only say no i guess.Im on ssd now for past 5 years and have 17% of my lungs left and cannot work.Im on 02 24-7 now.

AN NOD is taking anywhere from a year to over a year! A reconsideration if you have new supporting evidence can be done in 1/2 to 1/4 of the time.

I have done this and recommended this to many vets on other sites and it will and does work. But in the end it is your decision and time so good luck to you!

• HadIt.com Elder

First thankyou for responding to my question. Yes i have and am getting medical and meds at okc va.But not for ptsd.I filed for some issues and ptsd was one of them.then they sent me to a qtc phy dr. I have not seen his report yet but have requested it along with my c file.I have a am legion vso.he said that it was a low ball because of the gaf score and we will file a nod for all issues which the other ones were declined to be sc.According to all i have found out that it shoould be at least 50% which im tryin to get to 70% total so i qualify for iu.According to my pulmo dr i have 2-3 years if that to live and that also has me depressed.so if u can read between the lines id like to give my wife something for security after im gone.I dont know that qtc dr.but i can call and ask if he would do that for me,he can only say no i guess.Im on ssd now for past 5 years and have 17% of my lungs left and cannot work.Im on 02 24-7 now.

You can't work, you have 2-3 years to live, you have almost no lung-function............................and your American Legion v.s.o. is telling you to WAIT until you are 70% so you can file for TDIU?

wonderful

I don't know what to say.

Please do me a favor, okay?

Go to the va.gov website, go to the "forms" heading, click on that, then type in, in the "search" area, where it asks for the form that you are seeking, type in "21-8940", then print this form out, then take this form TO YOUR AMERICAN LEGION V.S.O. AND TELL HIM THAT YOU ARE GOING TO FILL THIS OUT, AND HE IS GOING TO TURN THIS IN, VIA FAX TO THE OKLAHOMA VA REGIONAL OFFICE, NOW!

I am really sad about this, it has darkened my mood and I must go now.