VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

ejw4856

Question

Good morning all.Im new here to posting but have read alot of posts here,which offers good answers.I have just received my award for ptsd at 30%.One of the reasons i think i was lowballed was thw dr gave me a gaf score of 32.i know the raters dont go by this number but includes it with their decision.Some of what he said was right but it goes far more with depression and panic attacks and sometimes just get so depressed that i dont go anywhere and dont accosiate with friends and family.Do u think that i should be rated at 50-70%.I also have asthma and copd and after last pft test that 2-3 years left if that.so what i would like to do is get a higher rating so i may get iu.i hope im saying this right but im not sure.thanks for any answers.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

HI.

I'm going to ask you a couple of questions if that is okey?

1. Do you now, or have you ever, sought treatment at your VA Medical Center or Community-Based Outpatient Clinic? If so, was it for your depression or was it for PTSD?

2. Do you know this doctor that gave you the GAF of 32? If so, good, if not see if you can find this doctor. Ask them if they will, considering your low GAF score, write an opinion as to whether you are employable or not, at that GAF score (NOT, is the correct answer, by-the-way).

3. Have you filed a claim for Major Depression? Or, better still, if you cannot work, file a claim for TDIU (Total Disability Due to Unemployability) using VA Form #21-8940, which you can download from the va.gov website (look under "FORMS").

There's a lot "missing" here that I don't understand. Like, HOW can they justify a GAF of 32, and give you an award of 30%, and maintain a straight face (without laughing their collective asses off)? I usually agree with Bergie, but, with a "32"...............................? Most usually, when I see a 50 or less, I'll see a 70% or AT LEAST a 50%, and that's based SOLELY upon the GAF in most cases. But, like I say, what the heck do I know, right? :blink:

I just replied and here i am again.I just called the Dr. that gave me the exam for ptsd and i was dumb founded by what she told me.After i told her that the va gave me a raating of 30% she said to file an nod because my score is severe at 32 and that im 100% NOT employable.she also told me to request a copy of the report and also my c file.She said i should be 100%IU and 100% disabled.I hope what she said is true.anyways i just had to come back here and let u know what i found out.many thanks.Ed

I think we all might want to keep in mind that there is usually more than one GAF score

of record for claimants in treatment.

Seems like we don't put much consideration into that.

Now I'm not necessarily saying that's the case here - but it sure might be.

You can't work, you have 2-3 years to live, you have almost no lung-function............................and your American Legion v.s.o. is telling you to WAIT until you are 70% so you can file for TDIU?

wonderful

I don't know what to say.

Please do me a favor, okay?

Go to the va.gov website, go to the "forms" heading, click on that, then type in, in the "search" area, where it asks for the form that you are seeking, type in "21-8940", then print this form out, then take this form TO YOUR AMERICAN LEGION V.S.O. AND TELL HIM THAT YOU ARE GOING TO FILL THIS OUT, AND HE IS GOING TO TURN THIS IN, VIA FAX TO THE OKLAHOMA VA REGIONAL OFFICE, NOW!

I am really sad about this, it has darkened my mood and I must go now.

Please sir: the vso did not say wait until im 70% it was me saying i have to wait so i can get the full benefit .My vso is doing a nod and now that i have found out what the Dr. put intto his report i know it will be 100%.but have to wait for the system to work.Im sure the rater didnt have that report or he would have given me 100% ptsd and be compensated as such.And thank you for commenting on my question also.

I also have asthma and copd and after last pft test that 2-3 years left if that.so what i would like to do is get a higher rating so i may get iu.

ejw,

The QTC doctor releases the results to the VA not the patient/claimant.

You posted that you have SC at 30 percent for PTSD and your profile shows your

total level of service connected disability is 30 percent.

Are you currently service connected for asthma/copd and if so at what percentage ?

If you are not SC'd for asthma/copd - then do you have a VA claim in for this ?

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Please sir: the vso did not say wait until im 70% it was me saying i have to wait so i can get the full benefit .My vso is doing a nod and now that i have found out what the Dr. put intto his report i know it will be 100%.but have to wait for the system to work.Im sure the rater didnt have that report or he would have given me 100% ptsd and be compensated as such.And thank you for commenting on my question also.

Go ahead and wait then. I think that that is a great idea......

ejw,

The QTC doctor releases the results to the VA not the patient/claimant.

You posted that you have SC at 30 percent for PTSD and your profile shows your

total level of service connected disability is 30 percent.

Are you currently service connected for asthma/copd and if so at what percentage ?

If you are not SC'd for asthma/copd - then do you have a VA claim in for this ?

carlie

Thank you Carlie:Here is the story.I filed for ptsd,severe asthma,copd hearing loss,tennitus sinnius,scrapnal in chest are and multiple lung noduals.They dieied all but the ptsd and gave me 30%.Someone else on this forum said i should try to get ahold of the psy Dr.and i did just a little ago and the first thing she said was she couldnt give out info and when i told her the va gave me a 30% for ptsd she told me that i was 100% not employable and my score was severe.those were her exact words.she also said i should file a nod because i should be rated 100% by the va just according to the ptsd.I hope i explained it right.I havnt heard of reconsider of rating but will ask my vso when we get my c file and a copy of the report for ptsd.