VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Pain In My Neck

Rate this question

Geo4K

Question

OK, enough of the lighthearted puns...

On my recent C&P exam and the VA's results on my neck injury, I am not satisfied with their decision. I do not feel that the 10% SC is enough to completely represent the injuries and resulting pain I have. I was diagnosed with Degenerative Spine Disease of C5-C6 and C6-C7. My rating is based upon limited ROM due to pain. In their decision, they listed just 2 of the 3 injuries that I sought treatment for, not sure if that is much of an issue... but is there anyway to have them consider the amount of pain I get when my neck "Catches?" I'd describe that as a red hot needle stuck into your neck. It's like I shut down for a second when it happens, you know: BAM! I am typically very sore/tender for 2 or 3 days after.

Also, I've done a lot of reading here - older posts. It seems like I should be able to ask for a SC for all the headaches I get, due to the DDD in my C spine?!? Initially, uneducated me just assumed that the headaches were just the cost of getting old, but upon review through several posts here, it looks reasonable to me that the DDD may be the cause of that. They are present when my neck gets tight, sore and clunky

Also, on a slightly different tangent, I got a C&P exam pending (no date yet) for my Deferred Left Shoulder. How should I approach that? They rated me at 20% on my right due to pain that radiated from my neck. I am right handed, but my left side is much more troublesome - the ROM of my neck is much more limited to the left as well.

You know, everytime I get all into my case and start thinking about it, I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach. Butterflies that are on fire! Your sage advice helps cool things down, mostly...

Thank you all - Geo

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

"Also, I've done a lot of reading here - older posts. It seems like I should be able to ask for a SC for all the headaches I get, due to the DDD in my C spine?!? Initially, uneducated me just assumed that the headaches were just the cost of getting old, but upon review through several posts here, it looks reasonable to me that the DDD may be the cause of that. They are present when my neck gets tight, sore and clunky"

thoughts on this, y'all?

The only advice I have is to do what I did. I take morphine for my cervical DDD, so I stopped taking the morphine for a day prior to the exam. I was unable to move hardly at all, and was given a 20% rating for cervical DDD. It is important to remember the c&p doc only see you for an hour max, so you want them to see the profound impact this condition has on you. As for the headaches if you can get a neurologist to give you a nexus you can win it as a secondary award.

JMO,

Bergie

I changed providers at my clinic - selected one with a background in Sports Medicine, thought that it may be helpful. Boy did I hit the nail on the head! I spoke with him about my history, gave him copies of my records and copies from my C&P exams, et al. First thing he says is "Would you like me to dictate a letter to the VA, about connecting these? (he will after a MTI)" Wow... then he puts in a request for a MRI on my neck. I told him about the dizzy spells, the headaches, the ratiating pain to my shoulders and the numbness at the back of my head. He was attentive and wants to help. He also said that he felt that America's vets need to me taken care of.

I left there is such a good mood! So, I now have a MRI pending, an interested doc, and pending C&P appointments for my left shoulder and hypertension.

Geo

with my back pain i started a PAIN DIARY and it brought me from 10% to 40% just with six months of writings ... honest evaluations i also had my girlfriend at the time keep on of me when i was in pain as far as what i could and could not do and the pain level along with anything else she felt the pain influenced major help i strongly suggest it to anyone that is looking to increase thier claims or file newones .... also make sure you do not over exaggerate as when you get into your comp and pen exam they will take and ask questions on it to see how much of it was exaggerated..... good luck to all

mike