VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awarded 100% Ptsd, Question Regarding

Rate this question

s1chmoe

Question

I was just notified of my increase from 70% to 100% PTSD, it did say that it is not PT and that a future exam will be scheduled. what is the usual timeframe for this (just wondering as I am about to move) and what kinds of benefits come from 100% but not permanent and total, I heard I could use the commisary....My psychologist gave me a letter with a GAF of 30, but in the rating, I guess the psychiatrist who did the c/P exam put it at 40 as that was what it stated in my decision papers. What should I do as far as continuing treatment, I am moving from CA to VA in Sept, then need to register there (I heard the WV medical center is better than the Roanoke medical center. I need to request my c-files and all my medical files according to my current psychologist/therapist because although everything in san diego is all on the computers between medical centers, it won't be on the computers in VA or WV and I should have those records before I move. Thoughts, advice? thank you very much.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Glad to hear it, S1chmoe!

There are numerous benefits that differ by state. Here's a link you can check - State Benefits

I took state benefits into mind when determining where to have residency, since I travel full time.

First thing to check are free or permanent license plates/registration.

There are free hunting/fishing licenses, National park passes etc. Check with your VA Regional Office to get all what you're entitled to.

You can also use BX and Commissary and rec facilities. I called base hotel somewhere and they said if I could get on base, I was eligible to stay there (but they weren't as cheap as I remembered LOL)

All the best with enjoying your bennies and making the move!

What do you think the time frame for the next re-eval will be. I was originally 70% (did not appeal) and did not have to appeal to get 100%, but my award did say there was likelihood of improvement based on my vamc treatment records for this conditions review to June 2010 (i just got the award, backdated to mar 01. it says my vamc records show that i no longermeet the criteria for placement on high risk suicide and my ptsd symptoms have emproved slightly, the assigned rating is not considered permanent and we are scheduling a future review examination to reevaluate your level of disability.

So, since i was almost admitted to the hospital in march, somehow they have come to the conclusion that it is already improving by now... I was not aware, but i did take an anger mgmt class and have felt a little better in spurts, ups and downs.

in the same letter it said I was 70% since 2004 and seeing dr's since then and the va stated that my symptoms appeared to be getting worse. It says the examiner said due to ptsd you were fired and more than likely will not be able to retain work, in addition, he thinks your unemployability is due to PTSD. BUT, I am not IU, I am 100% PTSD in the rating, thoughts on how soon they might reevaluate?

also, what is the difference in benefits between 100% and 100% PT like, do i get a new ID card and am i able to use the commisary? pls let me know what you think about my above post also. thank you very much.

The usual time for a re-exam is 1 - 2 years. You can call the 800 number and ask. It is put in the system when the rating was done.

• HadIt.com Elder

Glad to hear it, S1chmoe!

There are numerous benefits that differ by state. Here's a link you can check - State Benefits

I took state benefits into mind when determining where to have residency, since I travel full time.

First thing to check are free or permanent license plates/registration.

There are free hunting/fishing licenses, National park passes etc. Check with your VA Regional Office to get all what you're entitled to.

You can also use BX and Commissary and rec facilities. I called base hotel somewhere and they said if I could get on base, I was eligible to stay there (but they weren't as cheap as I remembered LOL)

All the best with enjoying your bennies and making the move!

You can use on-base overnight housing (such as the Navy Lodge faciities) at MOST bases (according to the orders of the post commander) when you are rated 100%. HOWEVER, you can not use the PX/BX, etc., unless you have an MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation or what is commonly referred to as "the tan card"), UNLESS you have made application for the card and provided a letter from your VARO stating that you are 100% P&T. You must apply for this card at the "visitor's gate" at any military base and some Reserve Unit facilities.

just sayin'..................

• HadIt.com Elder

You can appeal the denial of Chapter 35 to get P&T that will be retro to your date of 100% rating. You need a doctor to say you are permanently and totally disabled.