VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Online Education

Rate this question

Quibley

Question

Can any of you tell me how VA Voc Rehab education benefits work for attending school online such as at American Public University?

Thanks in advance.

Quib

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I went to AMU via APUS under DEA Chap 35 benefits. I would think the criteria is much the same.

If VA approves your educational plans then you should contact the APUS VA counselor at the school you are going to attend to set up any paperwork needed.

My husband used Voc Rehab for traditional college and his VA counselor at the school-a PGW vet -was superb at making it go quite smoothly for hm - Stidend wise and with his course schedules and book fees etc.

The VA checks periodically to make sure a certain GPA is attained ( I dont know what GPA VA requires for that) and that the courses are completed properly.

He requested some accomodations from the college and got them with no problem.

Although Chap 35 was different, I did all of my VA counselor and AMU contacts by email ( except for when my favorite professor called me by phone during a few courses. He was Marine Corps Major,never had civilian student before and he was tough on me.One call was to chastise me. I had prepared a brief course thesis cover letter and didn't center it. It was off by one pixel.I had worked so hard on the thesis about Vietnam War maneuvers that I was exhausted and I submitted it as I didn't think he would ever notice. He called me up from Quantico. He noticed.

A word about APUS- I believe the RQ course is still required as first course. I could be wrong.I already had half of my degree from another college but APUS told me I had to take this course first.

It was to basically make sure internet students complied with the technical end of their written submissions.Indentation of each paragraph, numbered pages, stuff like that.There are 3 parts to the RQ and it is all very interesting.

Every course syllabus usually goes over these requirements again and you can set your word docs or office org docs as a template to make it easy.

For classroom course discussions however on line- the typing can be more informal.

Good Luck! I loved every minute I attended AMU via APUS on line.I missed having a school cafeteria but sure didnt miss looking for a campus parking spot.