VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For Combat Or Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

SKIPRAY

Question

First,I want to thank all the posters on this site.I have been reading as much as I can on this site for the past year and have learned so much.

I was finally diagnosed with ptsd from the va.They have been treating me for depression since 1994.My question is should I file for non-combat or combat related depression/ptsd? My stressor for non-combat is easier to prove and is irrefutable.Does it make a difference in benefits which one I file for?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I responded that combat vets should get paid double for their PTSD because they probally

suffer from both combat and non combat PTSD. Is PTSD turning into Boots on the Ground?

Bill

Bill,

No, that's pretty ridiculous, combat vets getting "paid double for their PTSD because they probally

suffer from both combat and non combat PTSD."

PTSD is PTSD and a Vet is a Vet.

No, PTSD is not "turning into Boots on the Ground" - IT'S BEEN THAT WAY FOR DECADES,

only now and finally is that going to change.

jmho

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "irrefutable" lol.The proof is newspaper articles with dates,names and what happened.

Like I said before, I have been reading tons on this site,but am reluctant to post because too many people are ready to pounce on you when you ask a question.

Skipray,

You might be surprised at how many veterans have used newspaper articles with all that stuff

in them and still been denied service connection.

I don't really understand anyone being " reluctant to post because too many people are ready to pounce on you when you ask a question."

They aren't pouncing on the question - they are clarifying, asking for evidence of record and anything else they already know VBA

is going to ask for.

No need to shoot the messenger's, they are all here to help.

jmho

you have been given quite a bit of very good advice and would recommend you file and let the VA figure out your rating. Your C&P will help with that.

One thing I want to add though after reading yours posts. With the vets of the present wars the VA is now offering health care for 5 years after your discharge. I personally find this very good and wish it had been there when I got out.

Heath care around the country as you have pointed out is quite a bit different from one MC to the next.

Good Luck!

"The proof is newspaper articles with dates,names and what happened."

Does your MOS put you (along with any eye witness accounts as 'buddy statements' at the scene or is your name or photo of you in the article?

My husband's initial stressor that VA knew of was verified the same day they diagnosed him-by the VAMC director who also was in Vietnam same time same place in support of the same USMC Unit and knew of this incident.

This incident involving USMC "volunteers" had made National news and the director verified this stressor immediately to process his PTSD claim right away.

I imagine however that JSRRC also verified he participated in this stressor incident.

Have you contacted any of the 'names' in the article if you need buddy statements to prove you were there?

There is a topic here under a search defining what the VA considers a stressor to be.Perhaps the new PTSD regs will help you-hard to say.

We look at claims with an educated view of what the VA might question as evidence.Carlie is right- not pouncing at all-just seeking how they could deny and then how to overcome that possibility from the git go with good evidence.

Has any doctor associated your depression with being at the incident in the newspaper article?

• HadIt.com Elder

Newspaper articles are not enough unless it has a picture of you or you have other proof that you were there. An older hadit member had articles about a plane crash and it did not help him a bit as he was there and there was a plane crash but the VA denied anyway,

You really need to develop a claim it takes Medical evidence and includes evidence that you were involved and present. The VA has made it extra hard on PTSD Veterans in my opinion.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

CIB or not, combat wounded or not, all veterans are treated the same at the VA.

However, I am reminded of Shakespeare's play, "Henry V", and the St. Crispen's Day soliloquy.

http://www.chronique.com/Library/Knights/crispen.htm

"This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap..."