• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

jbasser

Svr Show Wesdnesday 7-28-2010 "a Veteran's Exit With Dignity"

John Rossie and Carol Olszanecki, and Sue Bellanger from the Blue Water Navy are going to start a multi-session presentation on a topic of great importance that is often ignored. They will be going over the materials and procedures that occur upon a veteran's death.

They've titled their program "A Veteran's Exit with Dignity" and will cover all the elements a spouse should know before that veteran dies; all the actions the widow needs to take regarding funeral arrangements; and what limits the widow may be entitled to and how to get them.

This is a topic that makes a lot of people uncomfortable talking about, but they will have cases to discuss that talks about the confusion and frustration if the veteran's death is NOT talked about.

This is a very interssting topic and since we all are going to die someday, It is better to be prepared.

John

Ad

I meant to post this info sooner -just basically some notes I prepared for the show we did on July 28th:

Start a Death file:

Make sure there is a list of all of your internet passwords that your family might need.in this file. Web sites you belong to will want to know of your death.

Many of us pay our bills on line and some of us have automatic draws.

The bills will still have to be paid after death but at some point the accounts on line will have to be contacted

mostly likely through using the email addy and password the veteran used.

Use a manila folder and mark it as the death file or whatever you wish.Your survivors will be grateful to have some direction after you die as to many thngs we mentioned on the show.

NEVER PUT Insurance policies or a will into a Safe deposit box.

Put these things into your death file with a certified copy of your DD 214.

If you also have a DD 215 make sure that is there too.

Put your VA award letter and SSA award letter in this file-

Or at least put down you C file number and mark this as what the spouse might need for VA benefits.

Some vets actually have a blank 21-534 in these files.

State on a note that the spouse must call both SSA and the VA when you die.

This file might well need to contain your marriage license and birth certificates for any children.

Although VA probably has all this , they will again ask for them when you die.

On the note for the spouse tell him or her to get at least 6 or more raised seal death certificates. They will need them for the insurance policies and many other reasons.

Let him or her know of any credit accounts you have that have a life insurance waiver on the balance. Also tell the spouse the type of any VA insurance you have and the insurance policy number.

Private Life insurance usually pays out within 10 days after their receipt of the policies and the death certificate.

The insurance compnay will most likely ask you to send them the original policy.

Make sure you have a Health Care Proxy and DNR signed and in this file.

If you are an AO vet and have a claim pending at death-unlike all other types of claims-the Nehmer Court Order will kick in and the VA, upon award of the pending claim-will need to know your next of kin.

Make sure the spouse is aware of this.

VA cannot simply keep any AO money due a deceased vet.-if you have no spouse make sure that you state in this file who is your next of kin with some contact info for them.

AUTOPSIES

Can make the difference between a DIC award and a DIC denial. An autopsy will contain a thorough and more definitive cause of death than most death certificates contain.

An autopsy for an Organ donor will also contain a complete toxicology report.

If you are an organ donor you will be autopsied. I feel every vetshould make it clear to their spouse that they should be autopsied.

Everyone should consider if they want to be an organ donor. Organ donations usually involve simple surgical procedures that would not hinder having an open casket. Other types of donations such as my husband's donations involved his skin and bones so that required cremation.

Cardiac deaths can also support donation of some parts of a heart like the valves in some cases.

and eye bank donations save the sight of 2 people for every good cornea donation.

For the spouse –

Don’t leave your home unattended during the days that the funeral and burial takes place.

Thieves read obits all the time.

You don’t have to feel obligated to spend a lot of time entertaining neighbors and make sure they don’t hang around if the insurance company representative comes directly to your home.

Save the veteran’s drivers license-for my AO claim and possibly in other cases -the driver's license could be instrumental evidence of a SC claim that might involve the veteran’s vision.

Also save the veteran’s phone number and address book-

There might be friends in there who would want to know of the death- people that you might not know well or remember their phone numbers.

Widows and widows of a deceased veteran can collect SSA on the veteran’s account at age 60.

Also they might be eligible for SSA payments if they have children under 16 years of age and also they might be eligible for the REPS entitlement program if their spouse died due to SC contributing or causing death and they have children between ages 16 and 18.

In any case where a veteran dies with minor children the REPS application should be filed out and SSA survivors benefits should be applied for.

There is no time limit on REPS entitlement.If eligible it can be a five figure award.It depends on a direct service connected death award and a loss of the mother or father's SSA survivor benefit when their child turned 16.There is more to REPS then that and it can be searched here at hadit.

Make SURE if your veteran wants a Military funeral that you contact the AL right away to see what arrangements can be made for that.If he or she is to be buried in a National VA Cemetery-neither the cemetery office nor the VA Chaplain can process a military funeral request. Most undertakers will know what to do as to that-they themselves might contact the AL for you or a specific military group that will have this done.AL handles Miltary funerals in ths area so it depends on who is available to provide Color Guard, gun salute etc.

Let you family know of your awards and decorations. I wrote my husband's obit myself to make sure it was all in there.

Most funeral directors will do a good obituary but in my opinion, it should reflect the veteran's military service and any awards they received.Make sure the funeral director lets you read it before it is published.

Edited by Berta

Check out our new page for this topic Veterans Dependent Benefits

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_dependent_survivor_package/veterans_dependent_survivor_package.html

We've tried to include lots of resources for you forms to download, articles and other tips. Also on this page is a link to a zip file if you want to download all the forms to your computer at one time.

We hope you find it helpful.

Tbird-I got a message "URL not found" when I clicked on the link.

Although I had multiple survivor claims I cant recall using any of these forms except the 21-534 so I am anxious to see what I must have missed.

Sorry - but I will not be available for this weeks show.

Break a leg to all and I hope it goes great.

• Ads

• Advertisemnt

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• Survivors- a Must read
      If you are new to hadit and have DIC questions it would help us tremendously if you can answer the following questions right away in your first post.

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

What was the deceased veteran service connected for in his/her lifetime?

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

And how soon after their death was the DIC form filed…if filed within one year of death, the date of death will be the EED for DIC and also satisfy the accrued regulation criteria.
      • 17 replies
    • If you are a Veteran, represented by MOPH, you need to know that MOPH is closing down its offices.  This can have a drastic effect on your claim, and it wont be good for you.  You likely need to get a new representative.  

This station confirms MOPH is closing its doors:

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--Purple-Heart-veterans-service-center-to-close-its-doors-480422933.html

• 0 replies
    • Retroactive Back Pay.
      Retroactive Back Pay - #1Viewed Post Week of March 19. 2018

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.
      Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?
      Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?
      • 44 replies
    • Examining your service medical records...
      * First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

* Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

* I then put my original away and work off the copy.

* Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

* If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

* Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

* I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.
      • 9 replies
    • How to get your questions answered on the forum
      Do not post your question in someone else's thread. If you are reading a topic that sounds similar to your question, start a new topic and post your question. When you add your question to a topic someone else started both your questions get lost in the thread. So best to start your own thread so you can follow your question and the other member can follow theirs.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
  • latest-posts-activity.pngstart-new-topic.pngsearch.png

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines