VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War And Kids

Rate this question

cachanilla73

Question

First of all, I want to thank this site and all of You. It has great info. My question is about dandruff , my husband a Gulf War Vet developed it after He came from the War. He didn't have it before GW. Two of our kid got it too. We have tried several hair products and nothing works.

I wonder if any of you know anything about skin conditions related to GW..... I have searched the internet and don't find much. My husband had a rash for a short period after he came back but then it dissapeared.

Edited by cachanilla73

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Hey Cachanilla73!

I am not sure about dandruff but I know that when I took the Gulf War Registry physical I showed them some scarred areas around my wrists where I had scratched at groups of recurring small blisters/rashes over the years. The physician did seem interested at the time and referred me to the dermatologist for an open invitation to come in the next time the blisters/rash appeared. I went in and was seen; the doctor asked me questions about my environment and seemed very interested that I was at the time working in a plant handling car seat materials all day. His final assessment was that I had contact dermatitis from the materials and foam at work. (At least I didn't get the standard "you need to lose some weight" punch line for once)

Here it is 13 years later and I haven't built a car seat in 12 years consequently having no contact with any materials but still getting the rash from time to time. Lots of G.W. Vets that I have spoken with have stated that they too have or at least at one time had rashes that they believed were the result of some kind of exposures in the Gulf. Gulf War Vets were exposed to so many different environmental "shocks" to the system. Everything from doing time keeping the "burn-out" latrines cooking to spraying those cans of industrial strength bug repellants directly on our body when the instructions clearly said "do not apply directly to skin," not to mention whatever was in the air setting off all those M-8 "false" alarms that we all came to enjoy so dearly. I can only imagine how hard all of our immune systems had to work in order to combat all of these different exposures/germs that had been foreign to our systems prior to going to the Middle East.

I haven't heard about anything specific to dandruff but maybe others have.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA gives me Ketoconazole Shampoo at 2% which I use twice a week and it works.

Not only shampoo hair but rub lather over all of face and ears back of neck and on elboes. Hard thing is waiting a few minutes and than rinsing off.

Thanks!!!! I laughed with the line: " (At least I didn't get the standard "you need to lose some weight" punch line for once)", because my husband has heard that line a lot..... He also suffers from sinus and of course it started after he got back, but the doctor at the VA hospital said it wasn't related, ( uhmmmm, really???) the dandruff issue got the same reaction from another doctor at the VA Hospital.....

I'll tell him next time he visits the VA to talk to the Dr. about the Ketoconazole Shampoo at 2%.....