VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oxycodone

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

In Florida where I live oxycodone is considered the drug of Satan. These drug addicts get it and OD and the media goes wild. Every day there is a story in the news about some drug addict who dies in a bathtub from xanax and oxy. The real chronic pain and anxiety patients are just collateral damage. The media has demonized these useful drugs.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

What is a cataract?

A cataract is an area of opaqueness (cloudiness) in the lens of the eye. This is inevitable, to some degree, as we get older. Everyone has some degree of cataract by the time they are 80 and 2 out of 3 people before they are 60. The other causes of cataract are inherited.

http://www.mydr.com.au/seniors-health/cataracts

I'm 62 and i've been taking the 5mg oxycodone for around 8 yrs with no cataracts.

• HadIt.com Elder

I know people with DMII are more likely to get cataracts. I don't know if is just statistical or cause and effect.

Found this older post but wanted to add I too have bilateral cataracts. Have taken the same meds, as you have for years too. Was exposed to AO in the US though.

John I take 2 a day for pain and the VA wants me to take 3 a day but I get real nervous with that. It is a nice cocktail for a 61 year old with all my problems and seems to really help me feel better through the day. When I take 3 it is kind of over kill and I tens to loose contact a little.

But with all the meds I take for inflammation/BP/Heart and DM2 I feel I am pretty protected! Now if they only had a pill for hearing! Hell I would probably still be working?!

• HadIt.com Elder

With oxycodone as with any narcotic after a few months you body adapts to the dose. I take four to five a day plus the fentanyl patch. I think if I took twice as much in a few months I would hurt just as bad as I do now. If somehow I could take 2 oxycodone a day I would hurt just as much. The problem is that my pain level does not stay the same. One day I am not too bad and the next day no matter what I take I still hurt. If I detoxed I would still hurt except I might have a clear head. I am not going to detox at some VA hospital I know that. I met a RVN vet out at my local VAMC who had detoxed on his own off of methadone after 6 years. He said he did not sleep for 11 days. After 4000 years narcotics are still the main way to deal with severe pain. I don't think it works well for chronic pain, but nothing else works either. If you have DDD you are going to hurt probably for the rest of your life.