VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Response From Webb

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

Below is what I believe to be a form letter response from my senator Webb on his amendment. The reason I said this is a form letter is because I asked him very specific questions as to why he is doing with this.

Mr Webb as I pointed out the congress in 1991 passed a law giving the secretary of the VA the discretion to add presumptives to the list based on the recommendation or should I say the scientific evaluation of the IOM.

As far as I see this it is just a bunch of grandstanding on your part. The scientific evidence is posted on the IOM website and all you or your staff need to do is just like everyone else read it. The congress has more important things to do that to make changes and reviews to existing laws. What is next for Mr. Webb the entire Agent Orange Presumptives list??

As a Vietnam Veteran with a "boots on ground" I find your hanling of this as disgraceful to the many Vietnam vets who have died of these diseases over the past 4o years. After that long a fight and to finally get what we deserve you come along and throw the cloud of suspicion over it.

Shame on you as a Vietnam combat veteran I certainly expected more!

July 29, 2010

Dear Mr.XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding veterans affected by Agent Orange. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views.

Our nation has a special obligation to provide health care to our service members and veterans, particularly those with an injury or illness resulting from their service. I have spent my entire adult life advocating on behalf of veterans and will continue to fight for the best interests of the men and women who serve our nation in uniform. Furthermore, from 1977 to 1981 I had the honor of serving as a full committee counsel on the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs, and spent a great deal of time working on this specific issue.

On March 25, 2010, the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced his intention to add B-cell Leukemia, Parkinson's disease, and coronary artery disease to the list of presumptive conditions associated with exposure to Agent Orange. This decision was taken without full consultation with the Congress. Consequently, during consideration of the bill to provide funding for this determination, I introduced an amendment clarifying that under existing law the VA is required to provide a 60-day congressional review period prior to spending funds under the proposed new regulation. I am a staunch defender of Congress's constitutional oversight responsibility. To that end, I have requested that the VA provide the scientific data used by the Secretary to make his determination. He is now scheduled to do so in a hearing that will be held in September.

As a Vietnam combat veteran, former full committee counsel to the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs, and as a current member of the Senate Committees on Armed Services and Veterans' Affairs, I take a back seat to no one in my concern for our veterans. Your views on veterans affected by Agent Orange are very helpful to me and my staff, and I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead. I would also invite you to visit my website at www.webb.senate.gov for regular updates about my activities and positions on matters that are important to Virginia and our nation.

Thank you once again for contacting my office.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb

United States Senator

JW: pd

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Pete. Those Congressmen almost never write their own letters.

Stillhere,

You should send one letter a day, just like the guy in Shawshank Redemption. If you keep getting back these poor responses, write two letters a day.

• HadIt.com Elder

Read the following again...the part where he lists CAD & not IHD as the third new diseases...Think that tells you why everyone is so afraid of the new rule. CAD is going to costs tons...Any Ideas?

"On March 25, 2010, the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced his intention to add B-cell Leukemia, Parkinson's disease, and coronary artery disease to the list of presumptive conditions associated with exposure to Agent Orange."