VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Med Rec's Updated With Non-Va Docs Dx

Rate this question

autumn

Question

i took some non-VA doctor assessments, MRI results, tests to the VA biz office to have them scanned into my medical record a few months ago.

i go out there today to add some new documents and checked on whether the previous docs had been scanned into my computer med records.

they have not. still sitting in a paper folder on the shelves, supposedly waiting to be scanned in.

is this an issue? if so, what is a more efficient way to get them scanned into my med records?

when i show them to my VA doctors here they disregard them.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

autumn

i took some non-VA doctor assessments, MRI results, tests to the VA biz office to have them scanned into my medical record a few months ago.

i go out there today to add some new documents and checked on whether the previous docs had been scanned into my computer med records.

they have not. still sitting in a paper folder on the shelves, supposedly waiting to be scanned in.

is this an issue? if so, what is a more efficient way to get them scanned into my med records?

when i show them to my VA doctors here they disregard them.

To get any information or non-VA medical records added to your VAMC medical records, you need to take a copy of the information to the ROI (Release Of Information office) at the VAMC hospital. In this way it could be in your records and you can ask your Doctor has s/he seen it in the system.

• HadIt.com Elder

Business Office, not the place to take medical records.

Your Primary Care Physician SHOULD be the one to handle this. And, at the very least, should be the one MOST concerned with what the records have to say about you and your health picture.

If they seemed unconcerned and unwilling to take care of this, then I would, myself, personally, if it was me, take the records and go to the Patiend Advocate's office and let them do their "advocating" on your behalf. Most VA medical facilities also have the little "podiums", for lack of a better word, where you can "talk to the director" by filling out the "gripe sheet". I've been known to get really PO'd and do that, with positive results (the chief of the medical staff was calling me before I even got back home).

So, there it is.

Due to my condition, I had to go to the emergency room several times over the last few years. I went to my PCP and she asked me to get a copy of the ER records and take them to the ROI so they could be scanned into my records. The ROI can copy records and give them to a patient, request records from a non VA clinic/hospital and they can add records to the VAMC hospital system. Why go to the patient advocate, when the simple and easiest thing should be to go to the ROI office.

that is why i want them in there so the docs can see it.

here, until the hospital gets completed the VA biz office is the ROI office ( i'm pretty sure)

guess they are really back logged or something as far as scanning?

thx

To get any information or non-VA medical records added to your VAMC medical records, you need to take a copy of the information to the ROI (Release Of Information office) at the VAMC hospital. In this way it could be in your records and you can ask your Doctor has s/he seen it in the system.

that is what they call it here. the ROI office (to get record copies, etc) is in the business office here until i guess the hospital is completed. that is the confusion, sorry.

my experience here, pcp, wouldn't help. so, off to the patient advocate's office tomorrow and then the "podium" thing.

these type papers are important for us.

thnx

Business Office, not the place to take medical records.

Your Primary Care Physician SHOULD be the one to handle this. And, at the very least, should be the one MOST concerned with what the records have to say about you and your health picture.

If they seemed unconcerned and unwilling to take care of this, then I would, myself, personally, if it was me, take the records and go to the Patiend Advocate's office and let them do their "advocating" on your behalf. Most VA medical facilities also have the little "podiums", for lack of a better word, where you can "talk to the director" by filling out the "gripe sheet". I've been known to get really PO'd and do that, with positive results (the chief of the medical staff was calling me before I even got back home).

So, there it is.

i guess not all VAs are equal.

they said they would get them scanned when they can get to it -- that they are in the process -- but they have had a few months. and these med records explicity show pos tests and pos diagnosis. the neuro wouldn't help get them in, the pcp wasn't much better at being concerned. guess i'm the only one.

so no, at least for me at this VA, the ROI office isn't the best way if they're going to let the papers sit on the shelf in a folder so the doctors can't see them.

they told me today, "the doctor can request them" if he needs to see them.

well duh, i already showed them to him and he wasn't interested in the results or diagnosis.

so there ya go. i'll do the advocate and podium thing. i've lost my mind dealing with this for 23+ years. i'll never be the same.

thnx

Due to my condition, I had to go to the emergency room several times over the last few years. I went to my PCP and she asked me to get a copy of the ER records and take them to the ROI so they could be scanned into my records. The ROI can copy records and give them to a patient, request records from a non VA clinic/hospital and they can add records to the VAMC hospital system. Why go to the patient advocate, when the simple and easiest thing should be to go to the ROI office.