VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Stealing Money From Veterans Through Private Health Insurance!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

Moderators....not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but it does fall under the issue of disability compensation since it is directly related to it. So I made my best guess, but if I am wrong feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyhow, I, as the veteran, who is 100% service connected for a bladder disorder, chronic thoracic, cervical, and lumbar muscle strain, degenerative disc disease of the entire spine, fibromyalgia, IBS, and several other conditions just learned that the Department of Veterans Affairs has been billing my 3rd party private insurance company since July 2009 for examinations, blood tests, an MRI, and follow-up office visits for these service-connected conditions to a tune of over $5,000!!!!

On May 17, 2009 POTUS Obama proposed that he was considering having the VA charge 3rd party insurance for service related conditions; however due to the intense backlash, he nixed that idea on May 18, 2009.

http://www.cnsnews.c...px?RsrcID=45117 (May 17, 2009 article)

http://tpmdc.talking...health-care.php (May 18, 2009 article)

Despite the POTUS rescinding this plan, the VA is doing it anyway; and now I have just become a victim of it.

Has anyone else discovered that the VA has been charging their private health insurance for service-connected disabilities? I want to hear your story, as I am preparing an op-ed to submit to every newspaper and media outlet physically possible. I want to reignite the hail storm Obama got on May 17, 2009 for such an asinine proposal by proving it's happening nonetheless (probably under secret order of his Administration to do so regardless of his public announcement that he wouldn't do it)!

T.S.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Blue Cross said they could not untangle what was SC from NSC in the bills the VA sent them so they just pay them all. They said it is cheaper than fighting with the VA. Hey, I told BC/BS they were being ripped off. I would just like the VA to tell me what part of my care is not related in some way to my SC disabilites. I will start a case with patient advocate.

In anticipation of my insurance getting the same response or having the same problem, I advised them that I would be happy to provide them a copy of the Regional Office print out showing my long list of service-connected disabilities so they can DENY the VA's request for payments.

The Patient Advocate, so far in my most recent experience, is worthless.

T.S.