VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Stealing Money From Veterans Through Private Health Insurance!

Rate this question

Troy Spurlock

Question

Moderators....not sure if this is the right forum for this discussion, but it does fall under the issue of disability compensation since it is directly related to it. So I made my best guess, but if I am wrong feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyhow, I, as the veteran, who is 100% service connected for a bladder disorder, chronic thoracic, cervical, and lumbar muscle strain, degenerative disc disease of the entire spine, fibromyalgia, IBS, and several other conditions just learned that the Department of Veterans Affairs has been billing my 3rd party private insurance company since July 2009 for examinations, blood tests, an MRI, and follow-up office visits for these service-connected conditions to a tune of over $5,000!!!!

On May 17, 2009 POTUS Obama proposed that he was considering having the VA charge 3rd party insurance for service related conditions; however due to the intense backlash, he nixed that idea on May 18, 2009.

http://www.cnsnews.c...px?RsrcID=45117 (May 17, 2009 article)

http://tpmdc.talking...health-care.php (May 18, 2009 article)

Despite the POTUS rescinding this plan, the VA is doing it anyway; and now I have just become a victim of it.

Has anyone else discovered that the VA has been charging their private health insurance for service-connected disabilities? I want to hear your story, as I am preparing an op-ed to submit to every newspaper and media outlet physically possible. I want to reignite the hail storm Obama got on May 17, 2009 for such an asinine proposal by proving it's happening nonetheless (probably under secret order of his Administration to do so regardless of his public announcement that he wouldn't do it)!

T.S.

Edited by Troy Spurlock

• Answers 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The heart and soul of Hadit is the recognition that the VA has mistreated or left Veterans out in the cold

No one is saying they haven't done that Pete and Commander Bob. I stated that there is good and bad every where. I also stated that I am not one of the ones that will bash(complain)about the VAMAC (at this time). I did not mean to insinuate that ALL people here bash(complain)about the VA, but quite a few do so and probably with just cause. I am just not one of them at this time. Again I am happy with the care I receive and have not ran into some of the nightmares that some of the vets post here have. I have been going to the St. Louis, VAMAC for 3 years now and have good,(not great) but good treatment so far. I get just as good a treatment at my VAMAC then I did with my Private insurance/hospital. JMHO only.

Edited by Chu Lai69

The heart and soul of Hadit is the recognition that the VA has mistreated or left Veterans out in the cold

I am sorry, but I thought the heart and sole of Hadit was to help veterans with information on how to get the benefits they have coming to them. Again the VA has not mistreated me(as of yet), and they have not (left me out in the cold as of yet). Some may have had that experience and it is understandable. Pete can I ask you a question? Where would you, me, and all the other fine brothers and sister veterans be if there was no VA with benefits for all of us veterans?????? I was taught you have to take the good with the bad. That's every where you go. By far the VA is NOT perfect. And I do understand how frustrating the system can be. But its the only system that we have right now. Of course it seems like they play with vets minds sometimes. Its terrible on some of the things you read that has happened to our vets. But its also refreshing to hear and read some of the success stories after getting the help here in this forum. That's what I personally think the heart and sole of Hadits is. NOT just to only reorganize any mistreatment that "some" NOT all might have experienced. Again, if we had NO VA at all, we would not even be posting in this great forum.

Edited by Chu Lai69

• HadIt.com Elder

Chu Lai

Sorry I am glad that the VA has done right by you. One day they may do so for all Veterans but until someone shows me different most Veterans are on the short end. I think that most would agree that the American Public wants the VA to treat Veterans much better than they do.

Every week we learn of more bad things done to Veterans. Your story is pretty rare. For me I am being treated much better than in the nineties and the VAMC is much more Vet Friendly.

The claims system is still far behind what it should be. It should be a lot easier than it has been. Until I see the VA reaching out to help Veterans with their claims I am not satisfied. Don't get me wrong I support the VA when they deny claims that are baseless but in the time I have been here on Hadit I don't see many of those.

I also think that being disabled means the VA should work faster than it does approving or denying claims. Some of the problem is the VSO system where a good Service Officer should be able to tell Veterans what their chances are.

Chu Lai

Sorry I am glad that the VA has done right by you. One day they may do so for all Veterans but until someone shows me different most Veterans are on the short end. I think that most would agree that the American Public wants the VA to treat Veterans much better than they do.

Every week we learn of more bad things done to Veterans. Your story is pretty rare. For me I am being treated much better than in the nineties and the VAMC is much more Vet Friendly.

The claims system is still far behind what it should be. It should be a lot easier than it has been. Until I see the VA reaching out to help Veterans with their claims I am not satisfied. Don't get me wrong I support the VA when they deny claims that are baseless but in the time I have been here on Hadit I don't see many of those.

I also think that being disabled means the VA should work faster than it does approving or denying claims. Some of the problem is the VSO system where a good Service Officer should be able to tell Veterans what their chances are.

Lets change MOST/to SOME or NOT ALL. But you did not answere my question Pete? What would we all do if there were no VA at all???? And I just showed you different, I told you from my experience at the VMAC, I have been treated good. Even your quote, "For me I am being treated much better than in the nineties and the VAMC is much more Vet Friendly". Please do not judge the past and compare it with the future. In your own quote today the VAMC is much more vet friendly. This is a debate we could go back and forth on all day. But its a healthy debate. I agree whole heartily things could be better. NO argument there at all. I will take all of this in its present form today then to have no VA at all. Again my opinion only. I will not and can not speak for others. Only speaking from my own experience with my own local VAMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually I could do just fine without the VA as I have a Medicare HMO. That's not really the point either at least I hope not. What is wrong with asking the VA to do better.

In 1996 when they opened up the VA to all the over 65 Vets who flooded the VA to get low cost prescriptions I was ok that Veterans were able to use the VA but not so ok that it shoved a lot of us to the side while the new guys were accommodated.

It seems like that is the VA Modus Operendi to shove the older Vets to the back burner when a new mandate comes across.

I really do not know why you want to argue but I am done on this thread.

My Opinion

VA is better but still has a long way to go

VA claims still failing Veterans

VA Fiduciary is a mess

Not all VAMC's are equal

There are far to many Veterans falling through the cracks

VA takes to long to award claims

• HadIt.com Elder

Chu Lai

Buddy, you day is going to come at the VA when one of those clowns kills or maims you. I would do fine without the VA except for pain meds, and they can't even get that right. I would not take my pet rat to the VAMC for serious care if I had a pet rat. You just keep going to the VAMC for all your treatments and let us know where to send the flowers. I have medicare and BC/BS. I go to the VA because they owe me treatment. I really don't know if it is worth the risk. When I had a foot infection I went to a local private hosptial because the VA would have ended up amputating my foot or kill me. The VA is really still just a hosptial for charity and drunks. It is the elephant graveyard for old doctors or for those who have had trouble keeping a practice. I hope you have lots of life insurance.