VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finishing My Stressor Letter Today

Rate this question

SKIPRAY

Question

I am submitting my claim this week for ptsd.The vso I have said I needed my stressor letter to go with it, so I am finishing that tonight.I'm not sure if it should be hand written or typed.So far everything is hand written.I was planning on typing it tonight.I have to use a friends computer.I do everything else on my phone and it takes forever.Last night,I was reading my medical records..boy does the va like to dance around issues."Are you homeless?".."yes" ....Patient states he likes camping.lol

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm going to paste here, something that I just wrote on another post. Do not become alarmed or excited, but you may want to make sure that your "stressor letter" includes, or another Statement In Support of Claim (form #21-4138) includes these statements:

1. Be diagnosed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The PTSD diagnosis MUST come from a psychiatrist OR psychologist either on VA's staff or under contract with the VA. Diagnosis by a PRIVATE doctor OR by a MILITARY doctor IS NOT ENOUGH. (my emphasis added)

2. Indicate on your disability claim that your PTSD is related to a fear of hostile military or terrorist activity, because you experienced, witnessed or were confronted with an event, injury or threat from an acutal or potential incident that involved being under attack.

3. Indicate that your response to the real or threatened event was a state of "fear, helplessness or horror".

4. Ensure that the claimed event or threat is consistent with places and circumstances of military service. (You can't be in the CONUS and claim you were under attack in Afghanistan, obviously.) And, of course, the awarding of the CAB/CAR, PH, or other documentation is always helpful.

For #1 above, the progress notes and the diagnosis (DSM IV) needs to be from a VA professional (MD Psychiatrist or Board Certified Psychologist), and that is ALL that the VA will accept if you are going to go the Fully Developed Claim route.

For #'s 2 and 3 above, I would think that, if your psychiatrist or psychologist notes do not state the required facts in language as indicated, then a properly filled out and signed statement from YOU will have to suffice (VA Form 21-4138, Statement In Support Of Claim).

For #4, the DD214 will, in most cases, be sufficient, as LONG AS it indicates "feet-on-the-ground" in a location conducive to getting yer ass shot off, etc., an MOS also conducive to the proper state of mind and body would most likely help (an assignment as the Admiral's clerk might have been stressful enough to earn the PTSD rating, but, the Admiral might not think so...............).

ALSO ALWAYS include the "I certify that the statements on this form (or letter) are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief."

Then sign and date it, AFTER this certifying statement.

just sayin'..................................

Thanks for the info.I used a 10 point outline I found somewhere online.I think it was a link I followed from here.It included everything from Larry's post.It takes me a little while to post on here.I usually browse with my opera browser and post with skyfire browser.Opera won't allow me to post but I can read pages faster with it.

You got very good advise here in these replies too:

I personally do not believe the new PTSD relaxed stressor requirement will help all PTSD vets.If the stressor does not quite meet the criteria within the new regs,(and that determination s up to the VA) now is the time to gather any buddy statements and other proof that you might need.

You didnt elaborate on the stressor you have that was in newspaper articles. It might well be enough for service connection under the new regs if your MOS puts you at the same place, same time of that stressor.I hope that it does.

You mentioned also a combat stressor. The VA will possibly put more weight on that one but I feel you should mention both of these stressor incidents.

I dont doubt at all that you experienced a bonafide stressor.I just don't have much faith in how the VA will interpret the new criteria.