Ads

• Search

Brother Gate

Barretts Esophagus

Question

Hello Everyone, I went for an EGD test today. The conclusion is that I have been told I have Barretts Esophagus Disease caused by GERD. They took a biopsy and will inform me of the results. Has anyone filed a claim for that? Also, how can I connect GERD to Vietnam; AO or PTSD?

Appreciate your input.

P.S. "this too shall pass"

Bro' Gate

5 answers to this question

More important than connecting is treatment as it can take you down and all you need a the purple pill or something like it.

Several here have connected it to VA Medicine that they take

Ad

Thanks Pete for the reply. Just got the diagnosis today. Can't do anything yet until I get results from the biopsy. Believe me, treatment is optimum and I will pursue immediate treatment once I know the facts. Until then, question remains the same regarding claim. The only truth I know as of now is that it was caused by GERD which I have had since Vietnam. I think at the moment connecting is important to establishing effective date. I have had claims in the past that I slept on not recognizing the importance of immediacy dealing with the VA. Learning as I go.

peace

Should not be a problem getting it SC. I have looked at a few BVA decisions and have seen it granted for DM2/PTSD. I actually suffer from it also as acid reflux and it is in my records but I have not put in a claim since I am 100P/T and housebound.

I take medication for it now and have for the past 5 years and had it doubled in 08 I think. I have to watch what I eat and not eat late at night or it will keep me up all night and miserable.

I do plan on getting the test for esophagus soon though.

Good luck to you and let us know how you do!

Thanks for the reply! I also have DM2. I have been taking omeprazole 20mg capsules for my stomach for years. Also for the past 3 years I have been taking potassium chloride powder supplements because my body keeps wasting potassium. Did not know until I did some research yesterday and found that the power supplements also was eating up my stomach/esophagus with the acid. It seems as though medicine cures one problem but creates or exacerbates another. I am hoping to get my biopsy soon so that I can begin some type of treatment. I currently have 4 claims before the VA to be ruled upon. I think it is best I wait until all is decided before opening up a new can of worms. I have not yet filed for GERD but have been treated for about 7 years. When I do file I will add Barratts as secondary to GERD if I am able to connect GERD as SC or connect GERD as secondard to Anxiety/PTSD.

Barretts Esophagus is nothing to ignore if you have it file a claim with the VA, it can be secondary to PTSD, depression, weight gain, type II diabetes, stress, sleep apnea etc. If you have a Dx of Barretts Esophagus you need and endoscopic exam every year. Barretts is in between GERD and Esophagial cancer which you have to watch out for can only be Dx'd by the exam. I'm on nexium 40mg twice a day and that seams to keep it at bay. If I have a bad case of reflux I eat Bananna Popsicles one after the other until the reflux cools down, nothing else works, except if I'm on the road, a cold Coke Cola will keep the reflux down and cool off the Esophagus until I get to a store to get the Bannana Popsicles, no other flavor works I've tried them all and the Coke Cola will only hold back the burning until you get the popsicle. No over the counter meds work. It was not until I was given Nexium twice a day did my reflux go away. I still don't eat anything that's hot with spice that's a big now. I also consider even one reflux episode one step closer to cancer, if you get Esophagal cancer and it's not cought at the get to you have less then 5 years to live, so think hard before you ignore this problem. Another sign that you might have Barretts Esophagus is a dry cough like a "cough cough" is all you get now and then, that's your body reacting to a reflux you can't feel and is a warning sign that you might have Barretts Esophague, don't let your doctor tell you it's a side effect of the blood pressure med your on, that's what mine said and two years after that I told the doctor I wanted the exam done to rule out Barretts Esophagus, which I've had now for 23 years, still taking the Nexium twice a day, Bannanna Popsicles on standby and endoscopic exam every year. Warning eating antacids is what caused my Barretts Esophagus and stress in the military. I had a doctor I worked with warm me that antacids could cause me to get cancer and he was right. Now I'm filing a VA Service connected claim . If I have one case of reflux a year that's one to many, for the past ten or more years I've either had one reflux a year mostly when I eat out and don't know what's put in the food now I always say "NO HOT PEPPERS OR SPICE"...Hopefully this will help one of my Vets out there.

Doc904

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisemnt

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Latest News
  • Our picks

• If you are a Veteran, represented by MOPH, you need to know that MOPH is closing down its offices.  This can have a drastic effect on your claim, and it wont be good for you.  You likely need to get a new representative.  

This station confirms MOPH is closing its doors:

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--Purple-Heart-veterans-service-center-to-close-its-doors-480422933.html

• 0 replies
    • Retroactive Back Pay.
      Retroactive Back Pay - #1Viewed Post Week of March 19. 2018

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.
      Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?
      Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?
      • 44 replies
    • Examining your service medical records...
      * First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

* Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

* I then put my original away and work off the copy.

* Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

* If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

* Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

* I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.
      • 9 replies
    • How to get your questions answered on the forum
      Do not post your question in someone else's thread. If you are reading a topic that sounds similar to your question, start a new topic and post your question. When you add your question to a topic someone else started both your questions get lost in the thread. So best to start your own thread so you can follow your question and the other member can follow theirs.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 

Ads

How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ ...
  2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title ... 
  3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help ...
Continue Reading

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines