VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oh My God!

Rate this question

Quibley

Question

I had just posted that I logged on to e-benefits and saw that my three claims were showing "closed" status. I called the 1-800 number and here are the results:

PTSD w/anxiety disorder-70%

TBI-40%

Tinnitus (granted in January ) -10%

Total rating 80%

TDIU-GRANTED!!!

I have so many people on this board I want to thank. Give me a few minutes to calm down. I just developed a bad case of anxiety and I took a xanax, In case some of you didn't know, I'm currently homeless living with someone.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Just curious, do I change my hadit rating to 80% or 100% because of TDIU?

Quibley

Edited by Quibley

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Congratulations, I to just received my news last week, had my bva hearing on July 1st. claims seem to be moving fast. Where do you go to check e-benefits, and you mentioned the 800 number? Again congrats

I got my brown envelope about 20 minutes ago, and I am NOT P&T. I have included the results of the PTSD part of my decision for members of Hadit.com to use for research and/or learning. I hope that someone might glean some little piece of information that may help them with their claim.

DECISION

Service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder with depression and anxiety is granted with an evaluation of 70 percent effective April 14, 2009.

EVIDENCE

• Service treatment and personnel records from November 18, 1982 through July 17, 1984 and February 17, 1988 through May 20, 1988
  • Evidence considered in previous rating decision dated December 22, 2009
  • Your statements received January 25, 2010, January 28, 2010, April 15, 2010, May 4, 2010, June 7, 2010, June 8, 2010, and June 10, 2010
  • VA Form 21-8940, Veteran's Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability, received March 5, 2010
  • Duty to Assist notification letters dated March 16, 2010 and June 7, 2010
  • VCAA Notice Response received April 15, 2010
  • Copy of treatment report dated April 5, 1984 from CPT Gary Muramot, MSC, LCSW (Military Social Worker)
  • Copy of reply dated November 27, 2009 from National Personnel Records Center
  • Reply dated January 15, 2010 from Department of the Army, US Army Crime Records Center with CID Report of Investigation dated August 12, 1983
  • VA examinations dated January 18, 2010 and January 26, 2010
  • VA Form 21-4192, Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits, completed by XXX XXXXXX and received March 24, 2010
  • VA Form 21-4192, Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits, completed by XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX Services and received March 26, 2010
  • VA Form 21-4192, Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits, completed by XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and received March 26, 2010
  • Statement received March 30, 2010 from XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX, Inc.
  • VA Form 21-4192, Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits, completed by XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX and received April 13,2010
  • Report dated April 21, 2010 from Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXX (IMO)
  • VA Form 21-4192, Request for Employment Information in Connection with Claim for Disability Benefits, completed by XXXXXXXXXX/XXX XXXXXXXX and received May 26, 2010 and June 11, 2010 along with copy of Employee Check History Report
  • VA Form 21-0820, Report of General Information, dated June 1, 2010
  • Lay statement, Father, received June 10, 2010

REASONS FOR DECISION

1. Service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder with depression and anxiety.

Service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder with depression and anxiety has been established as directly related to military service. An evaluation of 70 percent is assigned from April 14, 2009, the date we received your claim. An evaluation of 70 percent is assigned for occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.

Review of your service treatment records indicate that you were treated for adjustment disorder with depressed mood and situational stress reaction in April, 1988. There is no evidence of treatment for, or diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder during military service, but evidence confirms that you were the victim of an attempted robbery in May, 1983, during military service. Records show that you were assaulted and were struck by a fist on the right side of your head. The VA examiner diagnosed posttraumatic stress disorder with depression and anxiety and linked your current symptoms to the incident in service.

On VA mental health examination dated January 26, 2010, you reported symptoms of depression, anxiety, daily panic attacks, and sleep dysfunction. Current treatment was noted as antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication. The examiner noted that you were fully oriented, there was no evidence of inappropriate behavior, and you are able to maintain minimal personal hygiene and other basic activities of daily living. There was no evidence of suicidal or homicidal thoughts, intent, or plan. There was no evidence of obsessive or ritualistic behavior that interferes with routine activities and no evidence of impaired impulse control. A Global Assessment of Functioning Scale (GAF Scale) considered the psychological, social and occupational functioning on a hypothetical continuum of mental health illness. This assessment was 55 which means that you suffer from moderate symptoms or difficulty in social, occupational or school functioning.

A higher evaluation of 100 percent is not warranted unless there is total occupational and social impairment due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

The assigned evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to a future review examination.

Edited by Quibley

• Founder

Quilbley - Now that is wonderful news. Keep taking your xanaax you'll be going through a bit of an emotional roller coaster, don't worry this not unusual. Tuck as much of the retro away as you can in a 3 month cd, till your emotions level out. I try to give this advice to all our brothers and sisters, I have seen so many veterans get a big check and on the emotional roller coast it is easy for all that money to be gone in a relatively quick time.

It was few years after my 100% that I called the VA 800 number and asked them about being P & T, he put a note in my record stating that the veteran was inquiry whether she was P & T a few weeks later I got a later saying that I was P & T.

My humble opinion, don't worry about the P & T for now, find yourself a little place to rent, safe, clean and with plenty of food in the frig. Then stuff all the money you can in a savings account, and in about 2 years if you are P & T (I think you probably will be) use your VA loan to buy a home and get yourself a little place where you have a stable secure place to live that you can afford. It's one of the best thing I ever did for myself.

The VA loan has I believe a 2% funding fee, however if you are P & T the 2% is waived. The banks don't always know about this, mine didn't but the loan manager checked it out after I told her about it and sure enough they waived it.

Save, save, save and by the way save. That's my advice.

OUTStANDING! This news was a wonderful way to start my day. So tell me Quilbey are you feeling the love? :)