VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obesity Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

well, i am obese secondary to PTSD. just wondered if anyone else has the glorious pleasure to have that, too. i've tried everything and i mean everything to lose the weight. it all seemed to work for a while and then nothing but gaining once again. no, i didnt stop the routine or programs, my body just seemed to revolt. now, im limited on my exercising due to a blown knee. i mean, i can still walk but hurts like hell! soooooo, what i am going the long way about is....if anyone has been in a similar situation, have u ever successfully got any help (preferrably non surgical) with your weight? all they say is "keep exercising!" i just want to scream out "really? did u miss that whole freaking section on MRI, orthopaedics, custom knee brace? how about the acl damage, medial & lateral meniscus tears? exactly how do u suggest exercising?" but ultimately, i know they r only saying what immediately pops into their mind and i know they r seriously overwhelmed. that would be why i come to my old faithful crew here :)

any success stories? insight? suggestions?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The next question would be would you really want the VA to be the ones who do your gastric by-pass? Do you want a medical student with his hands in your guts?

They will not due the gastric by-pass themselves. This is one procedure they will send you out to some one in the local area medical field that specializes in that procedure.

They will pay that hospital/doctor.

Edited by Chu Lai69

I after my DM2 DX dropped close to 40lbs and my A1c was running like 5. and below. So my VA pcp took me off metformin and my glucose and A1c stayed low and I asked her if I was curred and she said no that you always have it but have it under control.

I was dealing with the heart attack and depression stress and anxiety kicked in and then the PTSD took over and I could not shake it. They started me on meds for the PTSD and before long I was back up there weighing what I had when I first had the DX for DM2! I am doing a little bit better now but it is a chore not to eat.

I feel my PTSD/depression caused this and I have not been able to reverse it. So is eating to much a secondary issue of PTSD I feel it could be.

As far as help for you I would suggest you get into some kind of a regime a little a little at a time.

Push yourself away from the computer and walk.

Good Luck to you and hope you do read my post.

• HadIt.com Elder

Still Here

The meds for depression and PTSD are the problem. They will produce weight gain. Read you bottle of pills. It should say that weight gain is a possible side effect. Which ones do you take? The SSRI's are notorious for weight gain.

• HadIt.com Elder

In Dallas if your PCP refers you and you work with VA weight loss management aka MOVE program they will consider and do gastric bypass surgery.

Where do you think the new Docs are going to learn to do this surgery?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, and gastric by-pass surgery is not like having a wisdom tooth removed. Your plumbing is sensitive to being sliced and diced. If they slip-up you get peritonitus and die a miserable and painful death. I would want someone to do it that has done it a thousand times with no deaths.