VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obesity Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

well, i am obese secondary to PTSD. just wondered if anyone else has the glorious pleasure to have that, too. i've tried everything and i mean everything to lose the weight. it all seemed to work for a while and then nothing but gaining once again. no, i didnt stop the routine or programs, my body just seemed to revolt. now, im limited on my exercising due to a blown knee. i mean, i can still walk but hurts like hell! soooooo, what i am going the long way about is....if anyone has been in a similar situation, have u ever successfully got any help (preferrably non surgical) with your weight? all they say is "keep exercising!" i just want to scream out "really? did u miss that whole freaking section on MRI, orthopaedics, custom knee brace? how about the acl damage, medial & lateral meniscus tears? exactly how do u suggest exercising?" but ultimately, i know they r only saying what immediately pops into their mind and i know they r seriously overwhelmed. that would be why i come to my old faithful crew here :)

any success stories? insight? suggestions?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, and gastric by-pass surgery is not like having a wisdom tooth removed. Your plumbing is sensitive to being sliced and diced. If they slip-up you get peritonitus and die a miserable and painful death. I would want someone to do it that has done it a thousand times with no deaths.

that is why I chose vertical banding no moving of the plumbing, no problems with lack of vitamin if I try to eat say a big Mac I can not finish it maybe I can get 2/3 done but that is only if I don’t eat the fries or the drink if I eat any more it feels like I want to throw up...

TBird, Sharon, Jbasser, & many many others.....i wanted to thank you publicly as well as privately for your support and guidance. Sharon talked to me in private and convinced me not to check out from this forum. Im glad she did. Thank you, everyone, for the citations on this subject as well. I've learned a few things thru this ordeal.....1) i am NOT strong enough yet to go it alone 2) u guys truly leave no one behind 3) i really really shouldnt bake while im pissed off! baked 4 loaves of bread and each one failed.

This topic interest me very much, as I have always believed not so much PTSD is the direct cause of Obesity, I believe that PTSD causes us to habitually overeat, and with the depression and other mental problems that we suffer from food is our drug. My problem did not happen after I turned 60, but has been with me since I left Vietnam in 1970. I have been on every diet known to man kind, group sessions, pills, etc. I also believe that some members are putting to much faith in these medical procedures to lose weight, and if they are working for you, great. I had the Lap Band done about 5 years ago, and at first it worked great. I lost about 75 pounds, and felt great. But, something happened and I started eating and eating and eating. The Lap Band could not stop it.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

CLW

Glad that you are here. As to PTSD and weight problems I think a lot of the anti depressants and diabetic meds can cause significant weight gains. I tried to get it and found out that I had a blocked artery that VA had assured me 6 months earlier that I did not have. My Cardiac Doc said that VA had good equipment and morons using it.

By cutting down on food, eating better quality food and stopping when I am full I have lost 40 lbs since I started. From my research most people who do bypass surgery hope for a 60% reduction of target. If you are 300 and they want you to be 200 if you get to 240 they consider it a success.

As I said earlier in this thread there is no way I would let the VA do this surgery. I also think Robert51 is right and the vertical band is probably the best. I think they also call it the sleeve bypass.

Keep looking till you feel you are doing what you need for yourself and are committed to following Doc's Orders.

Good Luck

PS For anyone reading if you leave Hadit you can always come back unless you did something silly and got your self banned.