VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Emg Results!

Rate this question

Aquabear

Question

My situation had been quiet for a while but then out of the blue last week (Thurs or Fri) the VAMC called me that they have received a request from the VARO for an expedited EMG test for a C an P (Ortho CnP request). Long story short, they had me take an EMG test this past tuesday OMG- the VA moved quick -what the...?? Wow miracles do happen.

The test is for my complaints of pain since Oct 1995 in hips, thighs, legs of which I have no rating; my 20% rating is for LS- lumbo sacral strain( ie: low back pain). Well, test done, nice doc. My wife drove me she said she had an EMG and it hurts boy am I glad she did it dosent tickle- couldn't barely walk much less drive.

The doc had spoken to us about his findings during and right after the test- I believe my wife smiled and brought out the nice in him. His words said the EMG test shows that it's not a strained muscle for the last 15 years, that there's a reason why I feel pain.

I have the report in my hand now and below are the words he typed:

Requested by: Ortho C&P

Reason for study: Symptoms in right leg, study being done to determine if there is nerve root involvement.

Description: There is marked disparity in the amplitudes of the posterior tibial nerves with the right sided response being approximately one third that on the left side. The right H reflex is absent, the left is normal. EMG study does not show any acute signs of denervation in muscles of the right lumbar sacral region and leg but there are chronis changes consistent with prior loss of motor axons from the posterior tibial nerve.

Impression: Chronis right S1 radiculopathy

Ok, I feel like someone can tell me and others it's not in my head nor a simple muscles strain for the last 15 years. but NOW WHAT? What does this look like to a rater at the VA trying to rate me??? Any advice? Anyone out there seen this and from their experience what it means? My plan was to visit my va atty and give him this, then call the 800 VA# and ask them whats next- whats the time frame for receiving a rating?

Please chime in fellow Vets and Thank You in advance.

Sincerely,

Aquabear

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Notorious Kelly.

Thats what the doc said, this cannot be faked, it's there, your not crazy and it's not a sore muscle for 15 years. God I hope this helps my rating. I am not working, havent been for over a year because of my painful condition but I have been going to college under the VA voc rehab which helps maintain some balance of living a normal life.

I did a search on EMG here and got some info but not what I was looking for.

Hopefully someone will chime in who has had experience seeing this EMG and how they saw the VA looked at it with them- BUT knowing that the VA can and will rate one person diff than another with the same condition. Now the waiting for the VA to hopefullly increase my rating on this.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Aquabear

• HadIt.com Elder

You have the S1 radiculopathy diagnosis, now the rater should rate based on the Exam to to see how severe it is. This should be a separate rating for the affected erve.

Good Luck

J

Edited by jbasser

Crystal ball is too cloudy today so I can't get a reading, so can't get any guesses on awards . Lets hope the examiner reads the Dr's report and grants well.

CRYSTAL BALL!?!? Would it help if I did the hootchacoochee dance to clear that crystal ball up? haha Thanks for the am smile :)

Yeah from searching this site the VA can and has done any rating but it seems to get what you deserve you need patience, a hobby, meditation, file your NOD and other papers on time and then have a couple of gallons of more patience. ooohhhhmmmmmmm

Thanks for your advice jbasser and halos2. Have a great day :)

• Founder

The patience was and is always the hardest for me. I am very impatient, but thankfully each and every day God gives me many opportunities to practice :)

Meditation is good, this can be the normal kind of meditation breathing in and out, I have a few different things I do, I do the sit still and breath in and out while listening to an album called Music for Feng Shui which I got at the Itunes store. I just say in and out as I breath, as other thoughts creep into my mind I push them away and go back to saying in when I breath in and out when I breath out. Thoughts are always creeping in, and I gently push them away and continue.

I also found sanding furniture very meditative for me. Also digging out bushes, odd I know. Planting things has the opposite effect, I hate gardening, I wish I liked it, if you do it is a wonderful way to get your mind focused on just you and the planting.

When the VA has me so frustrated that I am about to blow, sometimes I put on the hokey pokey song and do my version of the VA Hokey Pokey. I listen to music and dance some and of course I pace a lot :)

Try not to go nuts on the waiting, it's the worst.