VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Say What !

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

UNBELIEVABLE! I went to the class yesterday. First it was over 6 hours and you are told that if you need to use the bathroom that you need to use it as a group and not interrupt the class individually. I have bladder/bowel incontinence and frequency. So that was a problem which I got a lot of attitude for and rude looks and ended up being put to the end of the line and was told I would see the counselor last. My opinion - They are really not accommadating disable veterans. Then you were forced to work through lunch by taking several exams/watched a film that consisted of EVERYTHING FROM PSCHO ANALYSIS TESTING AND READING, MATH AND MORE... Mind you if you are on any mind altering medications you will be taking time test with those who are not disable. You are not accommadated in any way. Geeze I could barely get in the door in my wheelchair because there was no buttons to push to open the door or assistance provided. There wasnt even a latrine near by. I had to leave the class to travel down a 50 feet hallway to get to another area to find a latrine. I was hurting so bad and spasming from sitting in that classroom so long I finally had to tell them look I got to take a break I couldn't physically take the pain and I was beginning to feel dizzy. No lunch and it was 1 pm and we were still testing. TIMED TEST! I am on morphine every 8 hours and many other medications that makes it difficult for me to even focus and here I was testing times test with veterans who didn't even have such odds against them. Well I left at 1 pm went over to physical therapy and came back at 2 pm and the testing was done and they said I would have to come back another day to finish up the last test which was the math and all I could do now was meet with the counselor and call it a day. Next I got in to see the counselor the first thing he ask me was what are you here for? I said I am here to apply for ILP he says tell me what you know about ILP. I said to him well I was hoping you could tell me about the program I am here for counseling. He said well when did you get out the Army I said Jan 98. He says well you don't qualify for anything especially not ILP because your over 12 years as of Jan 2010 and thats policy. Thats exactly what he said. I said sir so your telling me there are veteran benefit that I could pursue he said no thats the policy over 12 years. He said I'm pretty sure and I will double check that but thats how it works then he said what were you trying to get out of ILP anyway? I said pardon I was trying to find a program that would over some assistance with quality of life and improving my independence, he said well ILP doesn't do any of that anymore. He said its strictly based on what your doctor thinks you need to assist with ADL's. I started to explain what I had read on the Veterans Administration website and what I had learned through other veterans in the program and he said NO MAM THEY DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE. He picked up two pieces of paper and waved it in my face and started to tell me about the program doesn't have the funding like it use to and the new regulation this and that. I lost it after that my anxiety and PTSD was pushed and pushed, I forgot my surroundings and started yelling at this man called him a liar and told him I had a right to recieve veteran benefits like any other veteran across america and was just so blown away by his attitude, speech, that I couldn't help myself. Then he wanted to rearrange his attitude and start talking like he was there to help veterans. Before that he spent the entire conversation telling what I could not do or could not get and they did not provide thats it. They act like veterans are asking for the last dollar out thier personal wallets. UNBELIEVABLE. I wonder if I had to those classes timed under medications even colleges will accomadate people with disabilities. He ask me what kind of things you think ILP could provide to you I said well how about a computer I like to to use one as hobby. The one I have is always in the shop and freezes all the time and computer folks says its so old it not upgradeable. I have had this computer since 2000. It's an old desktop. I don't even own a laptop. He said they don't provide those sorts of things anymore. I said well how about piano lessons. He said they don't do that either. I need to call the VARO Atlanta office to find out what exactly do they provide anymore because obviously one of us is mistaken.

If anyone has this information please provide the links, thanks. Well as of yesterday they said they will get back with me to complete that math test and that he (the counselor) will see what he can do as far as getting me in the program. So I am confused. Really don't know where I stand or what that means. Maybe it's my medication but I don't know if I am in or not or are they able to assist. ?????????? Not sure what came about with all those test I took and film watching, counseling, papers waved in my face, suffering all dam day, etc. :angry:

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I never heard the likes of such. Somebody is really giving false info. Why in the hell were you kept there so many hours? I was in and out in no time. 3 people were present when we watched the VHS video...stand one used. It gave like 6 sceneros of vets and programs. No tests taken. Very informal too.

You were Vo Ed before you applied for ILP,Right? I was and with it not working out counselor crossed referrenced me to ILP.

• Founder

I applied for ILP through Vocational Rehabilitation twice, the first time, it did take forever but the vocational rehabilitation person was very helpful. They got me a desk and a good ergonomic chair. The second time, omg, first they wouldn't answer any questions on the phone, second they told me I had to show up on such and such date for this group thing you talked about. I explained that I was agoraphobic and wasn't there some other way to do this, nope you must come here for this testing group thing. I gave up. I swear to God, they would not answer even one question, even though I had been approved before.

I thought about giving it another try to get an answer, but I'm a bit to frustrated with the VA to talk to them about that.

• HadIt.com Elder

I applied for ILP to get my bathroom remodeled 2 years ago. I had the same experience as Michelle including being forced to try to get regular Voc Rehab and the testing and the movie and also listening to blah blah blah about work. Than I had to come back and go to see another councilor on the outside who did a report.

So far the results are nil but I recognize that this is just Dallas maybe other places are better. I just had another meeting and maybe they are getting ready to send someone to evaluate my home and than again maybe not. They have tried to get me to apply for a grant and I told them no

I think Voc Rehab and ILP are good things and I also think that disabled Veterans should use it but nothing surprises me any more.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Michelle,

Your experience sounds so familiar. I applied for voc rehab last year and it stank. Like Tbird, they refused questions on the phone and made me take a day off work to attend their seminar.

I was interested in "Assistance finding and keeping a job" per http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm. In my case, it was for 'keeping' a job.

They put everyone into a small dimly-lit room with no windows. It was overloaded with filing cabinets and other equipment. There was a table, but I could barely move around without bumping into someone or something. I have bad back issues, but not in a wheelchair. I have no idea how anyone in a wheelchair could even participate in that facility. I don't like being crammed into small places with a bunch of strangers.

They pulled the same kind of restroom management with us. The restrooms were a quite far away. Drink and snack machines were even farther. No lunch. I don't smoke, but most everyone there did. They had to go down 9 or so floors to smoke outside. When they got back, I had problems breathing and had to use my inhaler. The agent rearranged everyone so that I could sit closer to the door.

We watched several dated VHS videos, including one where they helped a guy open a barber shop. The agent said it is unrealistic and nobody would get that kind of assistance.

We were given timed tests that really sucked. Small print was hard to read. The agent reminded everyone that cheating on the tests was a federal offense, so he spread everyone out. I had to take my test on a printer and my pencil kept poking holes through the answer form.

They are also cheapskates. Their facility is located 3 miles on the other side of the VAMC. I always get travel to the VAMC. They refused travel because they use a 'different method' to calculate it. The end of day gridlock caused me to sit in traffic an extra hour.

The agent only spent two minutes talking to me. He said the part about 'keeping a job' was wrong because if you have a job, you don't qualify. He said voc rehab was a one-shot deal. If they reject you formally, you never can get help again. I was urged me to withdraw from voc rehab because I was still employed, so that when my health becomes so bad that I cannot work, then I could come back and get their 'help' (whatever that means).

Get this -- The agent's office was about twice the size of the little room we were in - and it had a window. It was very spacious, neat, and uncluttered. I don't see why they could have swapped rooms.

I left feeling like they were in a hurry to get everyone out so they could leave early. It was not an encouraging experience.

• HadIt.com Elder

I tried to get a quitar from ILP. They wanted my VA shrink to write a detailed reason why this would benefit me. I told them to forget it and bought it myself. I felt the game was designed to discourage me. I was asking for so little.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

John,

I bet they would have asked the reason to be filled out in triplicate.