VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Say What !

Rate this question

Michellee

Question

UNBELIEVABLE! I went to the class yesterday. First it was over 6 hours and you are told that if you need to use the bathroom that you need to use it as a group and not interrupt the class individually. I have bladder/bowel incontinence and frequency. So that was a problem which I got a lot of attitude for and rude looks and ended up being put to the end of the line and was told I would see the counselor last. My opinion - They are really not accommadating disable veterans. Then you were forced to work through lunch by taking several exams/watched a film that consisted of EVERYTHING FROM PSCHO ANALYSIS TESTING AND READING, MATH AND MORE... Mind you if you are on any mind altering medications you will be taking time test with those who are not disable. You are not accommadated in any way. Geeze I could barely get in the door in my wheelchair because there was no buttons to push to open the door or assistance provided. There wasnt even a latrine near by. I had to leave the class to travel down a 50 feet hallway to get to another area to find a latrine. I was hurting so bad and spasming from sitting in that classroom so long I finally had to tell them look I got to take a break I couldn't physically take the pain and I was beginning to feel dizzy. No lunch and it was 1 pm and we were still testing. TIMED TEST! I am on morphine every 8 hours and many other medications that makes it difficult for me to even focus and here I was testing times test with veterans who didn't even have such odds against them. Well I left at 1 pm went over to physical therapy and came back at 2 pm and the testing was done and they said I would have to come back another day to finish up the last test which was the math and all I could do now was meet with the counselor and call it a day. Next I got in to see the counselor the first thing he ask me was what are you here for? I said I am here to apply for ILP he says tell me what you know about ILP. I said to him well I was hoping you could tell me about the program I am here for counseling. He said well when did you get out the Army I said Jan 98. He says well you don't qualify for anything especially not ILP because your over 12 years as of Jan 2010 and thats policy. Thats exactly what he said. I said sir so your telling me there are veteran benefit that I could pursue he said no thats the policy over 12 years. He said I'm pretty sure and I will double check that but thats how it works then he said what were you trying to get out of ILP anyway? I said pardon I was trying to find a program that would over some assistance with quality of life and improving my independence, he said well ILP doesn't do any of that anymore. He said its strictly based on what your doctor thinks you need to assist with ADL's. I started to explain what I had read on the Veterans Administration website and what I had learned through other veterans in the program and he said NO MAM THEY DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE. He picked up two pieces of paper and waved it in my face and started to tell me about the program doesn't have the funding like it use to and the new regulation this and that. I lost it after that my anxiety and PTSD was pushed and pushed, I forgot my surroundings and started yelling at this man called him a liar and told him I had a right to recieve veteran benefits like any other veteran across america and was just so blown away by his attitude, speech, that I couldn't help myself. Then he wanted to rearrange his attitude and start talking like he was there to help veterans. Before that he spent the entire conversation telling what I could not do or could not get and they did not provide thats it. They act like veterans are asking for the last dollar out thier personal wallets. UNBELIEVABLE. I wonder if I had to those classes timed under medications even colleges will accomadate people with disabilities. He ask me what kind of things you think ILP could provide to you I said well how about a computer I like to to use one as hobby. The one I have is always in the shop and freezes all the time and computer folks says its so old it not upgradeable. I have had this computer since 2000. It's an old desktop. I don't even own a laptop. He said they don't provide those sorts of things anymore. I said well how about piano lessons. He said they don't do that either. I need to call the VARO Atlanta office to find out what exactly do they provide anymore because obviously one of us is mistaken.

If anyone has this information please provide the links, thanks. Well as of yesterday they said they will get back with me to complete that math test and that he (the counselor) will see what he can do as far as getting me in the program. So I am confused. Really don't know where I stand or what that means. Maybe it's my medication but I don't know if I am in or not or are they able to assist. ?????????? Not sure what came about with all those test I took and film watching, counseling, papers waved in my face, suffering all dam day, etc. :angry:

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Very Interesting... Y'all are going to hate me for writing this, but my experience with Ch 31 was totally different. It started in 2007, before I even came in, they gave me all the necessary info over the phone. The month I was about to start the program, my counselor ordered the Dell Laptop, Printer, Carrying Bag, the Whole 9 Yards - Heck, that is the computer I'm using now - I didn't even have a Training Video, Class, nothing! There was a Less Than 1 Hour Orientation and that was it. Well, I graduated from the University of North Texas in May with my Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice and currently using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch 33) and going to graduate school... It's so disheartening to hear of the troubles fellow vets go through - especially when the last 5 years since my discharge have been smooth sailing. You will be in my Prayers M.

• HadIt.com Elder

I used the ILP program back in 2006 I had to go to the "class" where they made everyone do the tests and listen to their speel and I had the "interview" they asked what could they do to get me back to being employable I laughed at them I was using my walker then and I plainly told her give me a "new body" because other wise I was NOT going back to work, she was like well then what do you expect us to do for you, I said I was told I had to go thru this so she could tell me I was unemployable and going back to school was a waste of their time and money and she had to sign off on me being enrolled in the ILP program she signed off and set me up for an appt with the ILP rep he was very helpful given the fact I am supposed to be in a power chair due to not being able to walk more than about 100 feet at a time and all the drugs I am on for pain and cardiac issues he would NOT give me power tools I wanted like a dremel, table saw, scroll saw etc he made a comment about they were to dangerous for someone like me to operate.

He asked what other hobbies was I interested in I mentioned I thought I would like to take up photography as I could sit and snap pictures from the power chair.....he then mentioned that if I had a computer would I be able to pay my bills online, I aid sure I had no problem using online banking and he mentioned a picture printer to go along with a 3 i one printer for the computer to make copies of bills and other transactions I did online and I would be able to use the computer to use skype and e mail to stay in touch with family members spread from SC to Calif and Michigan, so he ordered a new gateway with a lot of memory, photoshop software a new digital camera, tripod, the printerss both a photo printer and the 3-1 printer he also had a contractor come to my home amd make the bathroom handicap accessible hand rails, shower stools etc.......

I had a great experience with the ILP program it is one thing the VARO in Columbia SC does right I don't think much of their compensation claims processing

I am sorry the rest of you are having such a hard time with it but then again that was 4 years ago and they may be as bad now as the places you all are dealing with

post-7057-093183000 1282841809_thumb.jpgJust thought I would give an update on my application for ILP. After submitting an IRIS inquiry asking questions about regulation and what I was told this is what I got back today in the mail. Also its sort of weird. It is a letter on a COPY OF A LETTER HEAD from the VA regional with 1700 Clairmont Rd P.O. Box, Decatur GA address. It has an original pen signature on it though so it's not a copy there. The signature is the same case manager signature that I met with locally in Central GA. That's the same guy that was asking me all the questions about tell him what I know about ILP. Well here is the letter I will attach it.

I will be canceling my request for ILP it is causing me to much stress and anxiety. I have already been evaluated by both PT and OT. Which is something they do prior to even putting you into a wheelchair. Which I have been in for about 8 years now. I am not sure where they are going with all of this. I wonder how many of you have been evaluated by PT and OT prior to being approved for ILP. I still did not get any info on the regulation. Like I said good luck to those applying. Maybe it's base on the state your in on how veterans are treated and cared for.

Edited by Michellee

Unless something has changed very recently, so recently that the rest of the VA doesn't know about it, that counselor is dead wrong about the time limit being up and there's nothing to be done.

The way the rules read, regardless of the 12 year limit, IF you have a serious employment handicap, which is obviously true in your case, you ARE eligible for VR programs, including ILP. They only have to fill out a form that they have determined you to have a serious employment handicap. Then, to get you ILP, they must determine you "Unfeasible for Employment". Just another form they fill out.

Here is a link to the explanation on the VA's site: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

You may want to talk to a VSO, unless you've already done so. I would think a county VSO might be of some help. Or, call your Congressman's office and either make an appointment, or find out where to send them a letter about your experience. You WILL prevail.

Edited by acesup