VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

0% Allergic Rhinitis....need Explanation

Rate this question

afoprtr

Question

6522 Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis:

With polyps 30%

Without polyps, but with greater than 50-percent obstruction of nasal passage on both sides or complete obstruction on one side 10%

My wife was granted 0% (A noncompensable evaluation is assigned unless there is a greater than 50% obstruction of nasal passage on both sides or complete obstruction on one side)

Can someone explain the 50% obstruction? Does that mean in order to get the 10% she has to have permanent blockage or 50% blockage? Because I know when she does have her allergies her nasal passage is stuffed. Thanks.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Suprise suprise..another Veteran lowballed on his rating.  Hopefully this was within a year, so you can appeal.  

You "may" need additional evidence, but I have not read your file.  

38 C.F.R. § 4.31. Under DC 6522, allergic or vasomotor rhinitis is rated as 10 percent disabling when it is manifested by a greater than 50 percent obstruction of both nasal passages or complete obstruction of one nasal passage without polyps. A 30 percent disability rating is warranted when polyps are present.

The percentage of obstruction is made by your doctor.  If he did not give a number, then they probably rated it at zero.  

My advice is to appeal this if its within a year, by filing a nod.  Read your exams and see what the examiner opined.  

I have Polyps and Im sure they vary in the amount they are swollen.  Sometimes they are very swollen and completely block my nose, and I have to breath out of my mouth.  

Vets advocates suggest you report to your doctor "symptoms on your worst day", not your best day.  Often, on the day you go to the doc you feel fine.  So, the examiner asks how you are, and you say "fine".  You are kinda sabatoging your own claim.  

Instead, when you go to the exam, and the doc asks, "How are you" say, "Better today, but on Thursday (your worst day), you could not breathe out of your nose "at all".  Always describe symptoms to your doctor on your worst day..not on a day you feel fine.  Many conditions vary with severity on different days..even hours.  

Never lie or exaggerate your symptoms, but do describe your WORST day, when the doc asks. If you just say "fine", then you will be backpedalling the whole exam.  Its best to think about your answer to this question ahead of time, so you can accurately report the symptoms on your worst day.  

• Community Owner

broncovet

Hears my question is this it own ratting or is it part of a sleep apnea ratting? As I am sure you know but others might not the VA changed the  sleep apnea ratting system to give you less than what they use too.

Thank you for the reply...I have read to answer from the "worst day" perspective.  While I don't recall being asked the question for my initial C&P when I retired, nor for a follow up claim regarding my ankles...it nearly cost me my OSA as secondary to the AR claim as the VA dr. that did my C&P exam folded when the VBA rater pushed back on my OSA claim.  I won on HLR and a good AmVets rep.  doing the conference for me.   I do wish I would have known about secondary claims after I was initially dx  with OSA in '07.  I'm at 0% for the AR so may bring up the matter of blockage at a pending ENT consult to see if I can get it documented.

• Community Owner

That was the intent when they changed the OSA. You would get ratted for it but the ratting would be 0% if it was crested by a CPAP. Now my understanding the reason for the VA to pay you the % is for loss of earnings due to your SC injury.