VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Compression Hose Brand And Comfort

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Here goes, compression hose are prescribed and provided for by the VA, but men's support hose don't work for women. Also, not all hose are alike and provide correct compression. Different brands are Jobst, Mediven,Juzo Sigvaris or what have you.

Question men or women: What type compression hose are prescribed and provided to you? Have you ever got a script to get them downtown? If so, did those work?

I ask because compression hose once issued they are non-returnable. Once the box or package is open, I been told thats it. Trial and error is unusual way to do business.

Thanks, just curious how to do it better,

Cg

Edited by cowgirl

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes, compression hose are prescribed and provided for by the VA, but men's support hose don't work for women. Also, not all hose are alike and provide correct compression. Different brands are Jobst, Mediven,Juzo Sigvaris or what have you.

Question men or women: What type compression hose are prescribed and provided to you? Have you ever got a script to get them downtown? If so, did those work?

I ask because compression hose once issued they are non-returnable. Once the box or package is open, I been told thats it. Trial and error is unusual way to do business.

Thanks, just curious how to do it better,

Cg

the VA never gave me mine, I had to buy them.. I think they are Jobst..

since they feel like they are way too small because they compress, it is hard to determine the correct size.. I think I took large with my feet at a 10 1/2 and dd wide..

I no longer use mine because I take medicine.. but I also suggest you rest and sleep with your feet propped up so the water drains up and does not collect in your legs and feet while you rest and sleep..

the VA gave me a free bed that is electric and the head and teet raise and lower by remote.. they also installed it free... I didn't have to ask anyone for it, when I was int he hospital they determined what I needed for home health care and gave it to me..

the mattress is not very comfortable,, and you may want to find a better one, but hey,, it's a life saver if you are seriously sick..

it's a single wide..

but back to stockings... I had to have another person help me put them on and take them off, it is a real hard time doing that.. but also you may be able to do it yourself depending on your ability..

also, my skin flaked off really bad,,so I had to clean them often because of al the dead skin..

(sorry, don't mean to get gross..)

good luck

:smile:

• HadIt.com Elder

I am very uncomfortable wearing any socks and usually wear crocs. What has really been a help to me is twice a week a aide hired by VA comes to my house to help me. She is a lovely woman I can barely understand but she puts a skin cream on feet and legs and works it in very gently. It gets my circulation working better and since she started that the swelling in feet has disappeared.

She does other things makes sure our bed linens have been changed. Mrs Pete makes sure it is done every Thursday. Brings in newspaper and mail and we talk about her family and mine. I look forward to her visits after a rough start we learned to work together. She calls me 10 minutes before she arrives so that I can make sure our dogs are up as she is scared to death of them.

I also get a pedicure with my wife every two or three months. It started with her doing it but she was to rough for me. Its weird when your feet are numb and stingy but any kind of nick hurts like hell.

Every 2 months the VA reviews the the home health aide program and renews it again. I have had it over three years now. The hardest part was letting a stranger into my home but now she is no longer a stranger.

Interesting topic-

I have bad pronation problem and have prescribed orthonics.

With the yard work and house cleaning, shopping etc I find my right leg gets fatigued a lot because I constantly an using kinetic energy in the leg to balance- even with the orthonics and I just bought some Jobst compression hose.As CG said, it is hard to determine what size and what kind to get. I only use the hose on my right leg and I think it helped the other day when I was weed wacking.

They are hard to get on and off. I decided best to check with my doctor before I use them more then a few hours.

I overheard in my podiatrist's office last year that Medicare pays for pedicures if done by a certified Podiatrist in their office.

My orthonics Cured a chronic backache I had for years.But they cannot cure pronation, they can help control it.

When the CHAMPVA man was at SVR radio- I raised the issue that neither Medicare or CHAMPVA pays for prescribed orthonics -mine were 540 bucks- and yet seniors fall at the rate of 1 out of every 3 seniors every year.

When one considers how medically costly a serious fall can be, one wonders why orthonics are not covered as they do help with balance problems.

I guess the VA does not do the casting etc and prescribe good custom orthonics for vets.

It doesn't seem fair or logical because many of the seniors in those statistics are veterans.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been getting custom orthotics at the VA for the last three years. I get a new pair every six months. Once the contract company lost the molds, had to make a 300 mile trip to have my feet sized again. The fatty tissue in the bottom of my left foot is gone so I really need the cushion. They don't take away all the pain but the help a lot.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am getting an orthosis which is going to be some kind of brace that fits over my knee down to my toes. It is because of the damn operation on my foot that left a painful scar on the bottom of my foot. I got fitted for it. They take a cast of your leg. When I wear this out to the VA I will look like one of the guys from WWII. Now when I say my leg hurts they will believe me.