VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shots Versus Patches

Rate this topic

E has been taking testosterone shots for a long time now and he was still very fatigued and is still losing muscle mass, arms, legs and overall muscle strength. His Dr placed him on patches to see if his energy level would return. Question, has any one been placed on Androderm patches and had a reaction to them? E became so dizzy that he felt lightheaded even when laying down. He asked and received permission to stop them and it seems his symptoms are lessening. Any else had these symptoms? Nurse thought he had a stroke?

Carolyn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I've been doing the shots for about 3 months and was considering the patch. Guess I'll wait and watch your post for feedback. What's his dose on the shots? They've got me on 300 MCG every 3 wks. Haven't noticed any improvement, tho.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I am using fentanyl patches for pain. They are crummy and don't really work. They are supposed to last three days. They last about 24 hours.

I've been doing the shots for about 3 months and was considering the patch. Guess I'll wait and watch your post for feedback. What's his dose on the shots? They've got me on 300 MCG every 3 wks. Haven't noticed any improvement, tho.

pr

Philip, E has been on 200MCG every two weeks for about 2 1/2 years and every time he gets a shot he feels really bad the next day. About the third day he starts to feel better but his levels are not constant. They thought the patch would keep it level. When he first started the shots they helped is energy level and he could tell when they were running out. We don't know what happened but over the last year he has become more fatigued. It's hard to tell which is making him tired, DMII, Sleep Apnea, HBP, LVH, or simply the pain from his neuropathies. His dizziness seems a little better but I don't think he's going to tolerate the patches. Who knows they may not bother you. Will keep you informed. If I don't just give us a hollar!

Carolyn

Well it's been almost a week without the patches and E is no longer dizzy, but he has no energy at all! Don't know which way to go with this. Shots were making him yo-yo as far as energy wise. Do a call to the PCP I guess. Seems like E is messed up if he does the patches and messed up if he does the shots. He acts like a slow moving turtle. Wonder what the next route is!

Carolyn

I started off with the patches but hated them.They would take the skin off at times. My skin would itch like the devil after awhile. I went to the, I guess a lotion for lack of a better word. I would apply it and stand under a ceiling fan for a long time for it to dry. I still would wake up with it stuck to my t-shirt. I went to the shots a few months ago and it is much better. My blood test levels went up to normal as well. The only negative is the VA won't provide the shots and the medicine is a little expensive.

I haven't gotten dizzy yet. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

vet12