VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Healthy Vet

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

spacer.gifPain Management

August 2010

Pain is the most often reported reason for seeking medical care. Acute pain is a major symptom of many injuries or conditions. Chronic pain can have a serious effect on your quality of life long after your body has healed. Pain is not just a physical sensation. Your experience of pain can control how you respond when you hurt. Your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors make a difference. For example, negative thoughts and emotions "turn up the volume" of pain. Pain certainly can cause depression. Your mood also will influence your pain.

Read More »

After Shingles Pain

If you have ever had chickenpox, you are at risk for developing shingles. If you have shingles, you may also develop after-shingles pain. The medical name for this pain is postherpetic neuralgia, or PHN.

Read More »

Diabetic Neuropathy and Your Feet

People with diabetes can, over time, have damage to nerves throughout the body. This nerve damage is called "diabetic neuropathy". This can cause numbness and sometimes pain and weakness in the hands, arms, feet and legs. Read More »

https://www.myhealth...geLabel=mhvHome

Edited by allan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

My VAMC says the DEA is their biggest problem in treating pain. I say it is cost. Cost drives every decision they make regarding vets. I am getting Crestor now. I get 15 pills at a time. This creates a burden on me. I had to split pills and I am already out of refills and have months to go before I see my PCP. They want me to come in for a blood test to see if Crestor is lowering my blood sugar. That is fine but it is an hour trip both ways just to get blood work. Then I have to wait to see my PCP and play phone tag. The VA would rather see me dead than supply me with adequate prescription of Crestor since they think zocor is not working. What I get from this is that the VA wants to spend as little on me as possible. I am a liability and from their logic the VA system would be better off if I were dead. It would cost them less. I am going to fool them.

• HadIt.com Elder

I complained about the distance to drive to get blood work once so the VA Dr ordered it from a local hospital.

The hospital billed me for a yr because the VAMC refused to pay for it . The Hospital threatened to turn it over to a collection agecny so I had to threaten the VAMC billing office with a law suit for damaging 20+ yrs of perfect credit if it goes to collections.

It was paid in two days.

I drive what ever it takes now and take what ever travel pay they offer.

Pain meds at the VA is all about the money.

I had no problem at all getting Oxycontin CR through a private Dr after showing him my medical records when VA suddenly stopped my meds and put me into sudden withdrawals.

The VA quit supplying it to anyone but terminal patients simply to save bucks. They don't care how much you suffer. If we were dogs they would be in jail for such inhumain treatment & cruelty.

I've been on Oxycontin now for over 6 yrs. No side effects except feeling sleepy at times. Am not able to tollerate Methadone or Morphine. They just make me sick. Terible stuf.

One thing a Dr should never do is make you suffer or make your condition worse. The VA health care could care less and ties their Dr's hands when it comes to relieving your pain.

With neuro pain, you need what works period.

I forgot to add that I still get breakthrough neuro pain meds through my VA Dr. I simply let the VA know I was recieving Oxy CR through my private Dr & provided them with his contact information.

Your VA Dr does not have to except any meds prescribed by a private Dr, but if they do'nt think you would abuse it, they can cordinate with your private Dr to set this up.

I spend nearly a fourth of my disability income on just this one pain med including a Dr's visit every two months.

Theft of Oxycontin by VA employees is the number one reason the VA stopped supplying it to those Veterans that cannot tollerate methadone or morphine.

Seems like 5 yrs in a federal pin would stop that. Thats atleast what they would give a Veteran for stealing benefits through fraud.

Edited by allan

I complained about the distance to drive to get blood work once so the VA Dr ordered it from a local hospital.

The hospital billed me for a yr because the VAMC refused to pay for it . The Hospital threatened to turn it over to a collection agecny so I had to threaten the VAMC billing office with a law suit for damaging 20+ yrs of perfect credit if it goes to collections.

It was paid in two days.

I drive what ever it takes now and take what ever travel pay they offer.

Pain meds at the VA is all about the money.

I had no problem at all getting Oxycontin CR through a private Dr after showing him my medical records when VA suddenly stopped my meds and put me into sudden withdrawals.

The VA quit supplying it to anyone but terminal patients simply to save bucks. They don't care how much you suffer. If we were dogs they would be in jail for such inhumain treatment & cruelty.

I've been on Oxycontin now for over 6 yrs. No side effects except feeling sleepy at times. Am not able to tollerate Methadone or Morphine. They just make me sick. Terible stuf.

One thing a Dr should never do is make you suffer or make your condition worse. The VA health care could care less and ties their Dr's hands when it comes to relieving your pain.

With neuro pain, you need what works period.

Who did you talk to at your VA? E has a physical therapy bill from January of this year and it's still not paid. I have called both places,the PT place and VA and both blame the other for not paying.

• HadIt.com Elder

Allan

I tolerate oxycodne pretty well. Like you said no oxycontin from the VA due to cost. I did not know about the theft by VA employees. So the VA makes us suffer for their lack of security. My pain doctor told me oxycontin was too addictive but the fentanyl, morphine and methadone is not addictive I guess. I knew they were lying and there had to be another reason. In Florida the demon drug is now oxycodone. It is Satan's spawn according to the media. There are tons of backdoor clinics that will prescribe it on a cash and carry basis. No insurance accepted.