VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going For Tdiu , Again!

Rate this question

ironsoldier77

Question

I have been seeing the TBI clinic at my va hospital for a few years now. I had previously put in a claim for mild TBI. I had multiple contact with blasts in Iraq. 2 Combat tours with 1st AD Infantry. I also have a PTSD rating of 50% and Tinnitus at 10%, total 60%. I have been unemployed since 2008 and I went through voc rehab and they found me infeasable for work,untrainable,not expected to get gainful employment. I have gone through Neuropsych testing and here is the diagnosis from that testing. I am hoping this will help me get atleast 10% so I can get TDIU. I have already put in a claim for increase on my PTSD rating,mild TBI and TDIU all at the same time. Just did this on wednesday.

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATDIONS: Mr. Anderson is a 32 year old,White,married and unemployed when the last testing session was completed. His work ihistory does not reflect stable emplyment. He was referred for a cognitive evaluation by his primary care provider after complaining of difficulty in concentrating and meory problems. He has an unremarkable academic history with a high school graduation and one semester of college. HIs family of origin was stable:however his father died just before he left for Iraq. H has a stable relationship history in his only marriage of eight years. He has three years of credible service in the the army with two combat tours to Iraq. He reports being stunned from multiple blast in juries while serving in Iraq. He has no history of substance abuse , or legal problems. His social life is limited to family due to anxiety associated with being in crowds and other symptoms of PTSD. He generally functions idependently and attends to his activities of daily living.His premorbid level of verbal intellectual functioning was estimated to be high average. Current intellectual functioning was in the average reage. All IQ scores were in the average range except for working memory which was low average. He has mild impairment in concentration and focusing on information in the auditory channel. Mild impairment in concentrating and focusing could contribute to the mild loss of intellectual functioning reflected in the drop from high average to average intelligence. Memory functioning was avearage to low average. Auditory memory, visual working memory and immediate memory were lower than expected for his intellectual functioning. Visual memory was intact despite mild difficulty in focusing and concentrating on visual channel information. He has had significant losses of memory abilities. His observed behavior, history and the test data are consistent with the following diagnoses:

Axis I-Mild Cognitive Impairment likely associated with Blast Injuries

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Depression (ICD-9-CM 311./300.4)

Insomnia (ICD-9-CM 780.52)

Tobacco use disorder

Axis II-NONE

Axis III-Brain diseases due to trauma (ICD-9-CM 3)

Acute pharyngitis

Low back pain

Knee: arthralgia

Tobacco use disorder

Axis IV-Exposure to combat and loss of job

Axis V- GAF=55, mild to moderate impairment

Medical problems that could contribute to cognitive impairment include brain disease and pain. PTSD, depression and insomnia could also contribute to impaired concentration. Hearing impairment could contribute to auditory memory problems and a hearing examination may be warranted. HIs past history of having tubes in his ears as a child could have contributed to a failure to develop auditory memory abilities. Medications that could contribute to cognitive impairment include clonazepam, but this is usually seen in much older patients. Mr. Anderson may benefit from medications that target concentration like those used in the treatment to attention deficit disorder,and an evaluation for a trial of one of these medications is recommended. Unfortunately the prognosis for PTSD with mild traumatic brain injury is worse than the prognosis for PTSD without brain injury. Most of the treatments for PTSD involve learning new strategies for managing the symptoms of PTSD, and when learning is impaired, progress in treatment may be slowed. Continued treatment for depression, insomnia and PTSD is recommended. He is also being seen in the speech pathology for cognitive rehabilitation and this should be continued until maximum benefit is achieved. With the recent loss of his employment, a vocational rehabilitation referral may be warranted, depending upon his progress in the PTSD outpatient treatment program.

So, thats the report from the doctor that did the psych testing. When I read this it almost sounds like a "slam dunk" and that I might get awarded a SC for mild TBI. I really hope it does, because it would make me eligable for TDIU, which is what I really need. I was also wondering if its possible that the VA could go ahead and award 100% P & T instead of just TDIU?

I am on full SSD benefits as well and that along with my VA benefits at 60% is all i have to live by. We barely have enough to keep our house. I am almost at the point to where my life just seems meaningless and I really hope I get the TDIU, mild TBI and increase for my PTSD. Im having a hard time gettng an increase for my PTSD. It seems that i have to be some deranged lunatic, murder someone or get locked up. to be even considered for an increase. I dont know what to say when I go to the C&P exams for PTSD increases.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have submitted proof of SSD atleast 2 to 3 times with my last claims. Basically my award letter that shows how much im getting a month. It doesnt say anything about my disability though. I went down to the ssd office to find out what it says in my records for my disability and the woman said "anxiety disorder". When I applied I explained my disability as PTSD. I dont know if they just have to lump PTSD in one main group and just call it anxiety disorder or what. I have to pay $80 to get a copy of my records for SS. Im going to do that though. I really dont think the VA is doing their job. How could you deny somebody IU, even if they dont have the BS rating(im 60%), but im on SSD and have been unemployed going on almost 3 years now. Someone is not looking at all my evidence or they are just ignoring it. I am not giving up on this! I will make sure I have everything to prove im unemployable. And from what everyone on here is saying, I've had all that for the last year and a half. Maybe I'll get lucky this time and actually get approved. FRUSTRATED! Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! Keep em coming if you got em, I need all the ammo I can get!

Does the VA know you are on SSD? If you are on SSD for SC conditions that is as good a proof of being IU as I can think of for VA purposes. There is no question of retirement. You are already retired via SSD. You have all you need for IU now is your SSD is solely due to SC conditions. With denial by Voc Rehab and having SSD this should put you over the top on IU.

Just an update. I called the 800# and found out that the VARO received my claim yesterday and is now in development process! Yay! The wait begins. In the meantime, I have contacted my old Voc Rehab couselor and asked her to write a statement explaining why I can longer receive voc rehab services and Im still unemployable. I also went to the local social security office today and paid 50 bucks for a copy of my entire SS records. Everything from the application,medical documents,diagnosis, and decision. I will have to wait for the records to come in the mail though. The lady there was nice enough to print out a brief statement about my monthly payment and what disability im actually getting ss benefits for. It says on there..."Mr. so and so has been diagnosed with anxiety and mood disorders." So I now have some more evidence to fight with. Im also going to get my wife and her sister to write a statment in support of my claim explaining how severe my PTSD is and how it affects my everyday life etc. I go to see my mental health doctor tomorrow and im going to see if she will write something about how my PTSD is what is making me unemployable. If anyone else has any ideas as to what I can use as evidence other than what I've mentioned please let me know! THanks for the support!

Just an update. I called the 800# and found out that the VARO received my claim yesterday and is now in development process! Yay! The wait begins. In the meantime, I have contacted my old Voc Rehab couselor and asked her to write a statement explaining why I can longer receive voc rehab services and Im still unemployable. I also went to the local social security office today and paid 50 bucks for a copy of my entire SS records. Everything from the application,medical documents,diagnosis, and decision. I will have to wait for the records to come in the mail though. The lady there was nice enough to print out a brief statement about my monthly payment and what disability im actually getting ss benefits for. It says on there..."Mr. so and so has been diagnosed with anxiety and mood disorders." So I now have some more evidence to fight with. Im also going to get my wife and her sister to write a statment in support of my claim explaining how severe my PTSD is and how it affects my everyday life etc. I go to see my mental health doctor tomorrow and im going to see if she will write something about how my PTSD is what is making me unemployable. If anyone else has any ideas as to what I can use as evidence other than what I've mentioned please let me know! THanks for the support!

I left Vocational Rehab on my own accord, after I took the test at Varo they told me I could pretty much go to college for a bachelors, PTSD was a big issue couldnt be around all those people, Went directly home and let my mental health clinic know that there was a serious problem, My GAF score when I do have a breakdown or what they call a flashback was at 40 for being suicidal/homicidal when the TDIU claim was filed it was at a 45, After that I got my ex employers letters that basically stated that things got to the to the point the sherriffs dept was called to remove me finally. All of that added to keeping my appointments at mental health above all else plus a god C&P examiner statement... I was denied the first time because I honestly think the VARO lost something, but on appeal it went right thru. My rating ended up like this 70% mood disorder 30% neck injury 10% median nerve damage= TDIU. Thats how mine worked out but the best advice I can give is stay in your treatments at mental health above all esle

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say for younger vets with PTSD the ultimate goal is to recover and be able to have a life. You don't want to spend the next 40 years suffering with a chronic condition. For most so-called mental conditions there is no magic cure, but you can learn to deal with symptoms. However, in the meantime if you can't work you get TDIU.