VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oxycodone

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Since the va is giving me such a hard time about filing my percoset scripts I went online to search for pain clinics locally that would be better for me. I signed up for a list that was a yahoo group. It turned out to be a list of junkies that were discussing clinics and doctors who were crooked enough to prescribe to drug addicts. I got lots of unwanted advice on the street price of oxycontin and how to crush the pills to either inject, snort or smoke them. What I did find out is pressure from the DEA has driven up the price of narcotics at pharmacies. I was told there is a shortage of the oxy drugs that is artificial. I guess you can get anything on google. No doubt the bad press these drugs have gotten has made them more profitable for crooks and dealers. Those who suffer real pain get the shaft.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I was able to get the generic brand for a while John.

But over the last few months i've only been able to get the brand name costing around $250 for a months supply of long acting.

Have you tried to get the short acting Oxycodone 5 MG through the VA? I am able to recieve this since it's on their formulary. They supply it for breakthrough pain, but supplied more when they cut off the prescription for the long acting.

I was lucky enough to find a general practice MD that does prescribe pain medications, so I didn't have to go to a pain clinic. Mine is a very good and careful Dr of who he prescribes pain meds to. I don't believe he would prescribe them to anyone with any sign or history of drug abuse. I was so very greatful to find a Dr like this man. He's a very sharp, therough and caring Dr.

• HadIt.com Elder

allan

I have not been able to get a regular MD to prescribe for me. The VA gives me the oxycodone short acting, but they keep reducing the number.

I get the anti-drug lecture from the VA. They told me that because I take clonazepam I am likely to OD. I take two clonazepam a day and have for years. It seems the va is just trying to cut me off of pain meds any way they can. I don't break the rules so they have to find some other reason to get me out of the pain clinic due to heat from local newspapers and media about abuse of oxycodone.

• HadIt.com Elder

John,

Maybe much of what is decided at these facilities concerning pain meds is location.

I'm not finding as much difficulty in my area. Just that they no longer carry the long acting on formulary.

Maybe where there are a high number of drug and alchohol abusers at that facility, they may be more paranoid about prescribing even if others are not abusers.

Also I may not be getting as much trouble with having severe pain due to a neuromuscular disorder. I know that the psychiatrists i've seen have had alot to do with my pain meds. I've never been to a pain clinic.

They asked me to attend one once one winter. They wanted me to travel 600 miles round trip every monday to watch films. All I said was are you crazy? Would you do that on ice covered roads? That was the end of that. They never asked again.

I go to a small local VA clinic now. But I don't think they have a pain clinic or my Dr doesn't think I need to attend it maybe.

I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through this. I know others are as well.

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

Allan

The trouble is that Florida where I live is drug central for these pain clinics that are just fronts for the buying and selling of narcotics. The VA is feeling the heat. People from all over the country come to Florida to buy drugs and then take them home and resell them. It is easy for drug dealers and addicts to get drugs but hard for real pain patients. If I want to pay hundreds of bucks to get oxycodone or oxycontin from a bunch of crooked doctors who deal on a cash basis only it might be OK. I don't want to get in deep with a bunch of junkies and crooked pain doctors. If things remain the same I may be in with them anyway.

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems to be expensive for Oxycontin Controled Release no matter who you go through.

I see a highly respectable MD for the prescription after he examines me and checks my records out. This Dr and my VAMC PCP keep close taps on what I take.

Than I pay hundreds through Walmart or a local pharmacy for the prescription. So if you go to one that hands it out like candy without an examination or checking your records, I guess it just makes it a little easier, but the proceedure of paying for the Dr's appointment and the prescription out of pocket is the same. I get a break on the Dr's`appointment by useing my medicare, but I also pay a hundred a month for it. I make to much to get any break on medications I pay for is what Medicare informed us. It comes to a fourth of my disability income just for this one pain med. Expensive? Yes. But I don't have much of a life without it.

All this just to take a drug that doesn't make me sick and only dulls the pain. I have many hot, searing ice pick stabs that it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on. It wakes me out of a dead sleep. Usually wakes me and startles the crap out of the wife when I jump up out of bed.

Some days are better than others. The more active I am the more pain I have. Than theres always the weather.

Another alternitive is to try medical marijuana if your state allows it. Although this isn't a cheep form of pain relief either.

It does work were some drugs don't, without having an effect on other medications.

Allan