VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advance Copy Of New Ao Reg

Rate this question

mozartplayer

Question

An electronic pdf copy of the final reg is now available for viewing at the Federal Register's electronic desk updated at 8:45 a.m.today and scheduled to be published in Federal Register tomorrow 8/31/10 which is when the 60 day clock starts ticking.

This link should lead to the pdf copy of final reg:

http://www.ofr.gov/O...10-21556_PI.pdf

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

THANKS!

They referred to one of my comments on page 21-22.

I had called Mr Johnson at VACO when this was published in the Fed Reg and he assured me my comment on the Nehmer retro would be addressed.

I am satisfied that they cleared it up here- regarding the Nehmer retro statement--- Whew!

Although the IHD reg does not consider HTN, PAD, or CVA the reg makes it clear that these can be raised on a secondary basis- with medical evidence to support IHD as the cause of these or any other secondary conditions.

This is good news today.

I just wonder how many veterans will even find out about these new regs.

Thanks Mozart for the timely post of this! I slept in a little this AM had a bad night sleep wise.

I have not had a chance to read all the way through but it appears as far as nehmer it is going to be applied pretty much the same as DM2 was in it's final rule. The only difference I see is with DM2 if you had a disease and had not filed they at least gave you 12 months of retro from the date the condition was put on the list. In other words the date DM2 was added May 2001 I think. If you had a DX of DM2 prior to that date they gave a year of retro.

In the case of IHD, Parkinson's, and hairy cell it says we will get paid from the date of it being added.

So the guys that filed for it before and were denied should/could get a nice retro check to help them and those that did not either because they were unaware or did not know will not.

Is that how the rest of you read this?

So the guys that filed for it before and were denied should/could get a nice retro check to help them and those that did not either because they were unaware or did not know will not.

Stillhere

Nehmer seems to to be very explicit as to who will and will not receive retro. Some type of claim had to have been made to the VA for the newly added conditions in the past, whether it be formal, informal, inferred, pension, etc. to be considered Nehmer. I truly feel for those that do not come under Nehmer. But the VA claims system has always been pretty much a big secret to most vets. They say they gave us this info about our VA benefits at discharge and we even signed a paper stating we got it and understood it  but in reality we were only interested in getting home and ignored most of what was said at discharge except for this is how much muster out pay you get and sign here and you'll be on your way. I for one knew little to nothing about the VA system until 1991 and that was more about trying to get health care that you pretty much had to beg for it if it wasn't SC'd as mine at the time. 

So in a word the answer to your question is Yes.

Thanks Mozart for the timely post of this! I slept in a little this AM had a bad night sleep wise.

I have not had a chance to read all the way through but it appears as far as nehmer it is going to be applied pretty much the same as DM2 was in it's final rule. The only difference I see is with DM2 if you had a disease and had not filed they at least gave you 12 months of retro from the date the condition was put on the list. In other words the date DM2 was added May 2001 I think. If you had a DX of DM2 prior to that date they gave a year of retro.

In the case of IHD, Parkinson's, and hairy cell it says we will get paid from the date of it being added.

You said in case of IHD,,Parkingson's ,,and hairy cell ,,vets will get paid from the date of it being added. ......Does that mean when it went to the Fed. Register or when it was final and came out,??,, Please all replys appreciated.

Oct. 13,2009 is the date it was announced they are going to add the three new presumptives.  Aug 31,2010 is when the final rule was published in the Federal Register and that is the date the presumptives were actually added.